There’s nothing like the smell of fresh-brewed coffee in the morning. In fact, for many people, it’s an essential part of their day. If you’re one of those coffee lovers, then you know that making a perfect cup of espresso can be tricky.
If you’re surfing the internet for the next jewel for your kitchen in the form of an espresso machine, Breville is bound to pop up in your search. Even though Breville espresso machines have an award-winning similar aesthetic going on for their machines, each of them packs a serious punch that justifies their brand.
With so many machines on the market, how do you know which one is right for you? Check out our guide to find out which Breville machine is best for your needs. We’ve carefully narrowed it down and ended up with 7 of the best Breville espresso machines to aid you in your espresso machine quest. Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, we’ve got something for everyone!
So what are you waiting for? Start brewing!
- Breville Is A Special Brand Because…
- Our Picks For The Best Breville Coffee Machines
- Factors Before Your Breville Purchase
Breville Is A Special Brand Because…
Believe it or not, all of the Breville espresso machines are well-built and top-notch machines. Here are a few reasons why that is the case.
- Breville espresso machines come with either a 2-year or a 1-year repair warranty.
- There’s no point slapping warranty cards on your products but not providing any services. Breville, unlike many others, takes great pride in its knowledgeable and friendly customer service. Once you buy a Breville machine, you can always rely on their services.
- Breville uses brushed stainless steel for the exterior and BPA-free plastic for several of the interior units. Such application makes the machines strong, long-lasting, and easy to clean.
- Breville is one of the leading innovators in the coffee industry. Its PID and Thermoblocks technologies are the proofs of that claim.
- Breville stood the test of time as it turned 90 this year. It’s one of the pioneers of the 3rd wave specialty coffee machine movement.
Our Picks For The Best Breville Coffee Machines
Beville has a long list of machines to offer. The Breville US website offers 11 espresso machines and 23 Nespresso machines alone. So we narrowed them down based on some of the key aspects. Customizability, ease of maintenance, overall aesthetics, build quality, price range, and required operational skills – from beginner to expert level.
After cumulating all these factors, our recommended 7 best Breville coffee machines are…
Breville BES870XL Barista Express
- Comes with a built-in grinder, making it easy to get the perfect grind.
- Grinds beans and brews espresso quickly and easily, making it the perfect choice for any coffee lover.
- With low-pressure pre-infusion and digital temperature control, it ensures the espresso is extracted perfectly every time.
- The powerful steam wand enables you to create a hand-crafted texture of microfoam milk for delicious lattes and cappuccinos.
- Comes with all the accessories you need to make the perfect cup of coffee, including a Razor Dose Trimming Tool, a 54mm Stainless Steel Portafilter, and a 1 & 2 cups Single & Dual Wall Filter Basket.
Breville’s best choice for creating third-wave specialty coffee at home. It’s a bean-to-espresso in less than a minute type of machine. Its integrated grinder and PID control ensure optimal espresso extraction for each shot. Its perfect “hands like a barista” features with a manual steam wand deliver authentic results in no time.
You’ll be able to control and adjust single and double shots, grind amount, and volumetric manual override. Its 15-bar Italian pump and 1600W Thermocoil heating system ensure full control over the extraction and water temperature. The automatic purge function adjusts the water temperature after each steam session to obtain the optimal espresso extraction temperature.
The built-in conical burr grinders grind on demand and maintain the 18–22g of freshly ground coffee for your preferred taste with any roast of coffee bean. Simple and intuitive, 16 grind settings give you control over various grind sizes no matter what type of bean you’d be using. The steam wand allows you to hand-texture milk for enhanced flavor and creates silky microfoam with powerful steam pressure.
It has a dimension (WxDxH) of 12.5 x 13.8 x 15.9 inches and a weight of 23 lbs. The bean hopper has a capacity of 0.5 lbs. and the water reservoir stores up to 67 oz. of water.
The Barista Express comes with a dose trimmer, a 54mm steel portafilter, single and dual wall filter baskets (1 and 2-cup), a scooper, an integrated tamper, a milk jug, a cleaning disc, a brush tool, an Allen key, and a water filter (with filter holder).
- Single and double shots.
- Digital temperature control and efficient steam wand.
- Its powerful built-in conical burr grinder has 16 settings.
- Simple button control and extraction feedback pressure gauge.
- It’s an expensive espresso machine.
- No temperature control for the milk frothing.
Breville BES840XL Infuser
- The best-tasting cup of coffee every time is guaranteed with its 4 keys formula.
- Complete control over the volume of each shot with this machine.
- The pressure gauge ensures the perfect extraction.
- The high-power 1650W element creates microfoam for a third-wave specialty taste.
The Breville Infuser delivers nothing but the best espresso flavor in every cup. Its pre-infusion formula before extraction, rather than using bursts of high pressure, starts with steady, low pressure before exposing the grinds to high pressure. The aftermath is an even extraction that produces a balanced espresso flavor.
The Infuser has automated temperature settings, programmable volumetric control, a Thermocoil heating system, and PID temperature control technology. Additional features include a cup warmer and an excess water remover from the filter basket.
The machine goes into ‘Sleep Mode’ after an hour of inactivity. It automatically shuts itself off after 3 hours of inactivity. The extra-tall cup clearance works for the travel mugs. It has a convenient drip tray remove alert and a cleaning alert. Its 1650W high power for high-pressure steam and faster heat-up create quality microfoam for latte arts and drinks.
The machine weighs 17 lbs. and has a dimension (WxDxH) of 12.3 x 10.1 x 13.1 inches. The water tank has a capacity of 61 oz.
It comes with a dose trimming tool, 4 single and dual wall filter baskets (1-cup and 2-cup), a scooper, a milk jug, a cleaning disc, cleaning tablets, a cleaning brush, Allen key, and a water filter (with holder).
- Customizable drinks options.
- The Infuser has exceptional shot extraction.
- Pre-infusion feature for improved shot quality.
- High-quality manual steam wand offers excellent milk texturing.
- 1600W Thermocoil fast heating takes 30 seconds for the initial warm-up.
- The Infuser requires a steeper learning curve.
- No integrated grinder and no ThermoJet technology.
Breville BES810BSSUSC Duo Temp Pro
- The low-pressure pre-infusion ensures all the flavors are drawn out evenly during extraction.
- The 1600W Thermocoil–Integrated stainless steel water path accurately controls water temperature.
- Delivers sufficient steam to create microfoam that enhances the flavor.
- Automatically purges the heating system after steaming.
- The cleaning and drip tray alerts make routine maintenance low-maintenance.
The Duo Temp Pro can extract single or double espresso shots at a time. It has a 15-bar Italian pump that applies low pressure first to bloom the coffee grounds and then gradually increases the pressure for extraction. You’d be able to manually control the volume of your espresso shots.
Its espresso shots are full-bodied, rich, and have complex flavors. The secret is its usage of 17–22g of dosage for each shot, as it allows the grind to fully express the incredible aroma, intense flavors, and authentic characteristics of the coffee. Moreover, the digital PID technology precisely controls the water temperature for a perfectly balanced extraction. Its microfoam texturing features produce velvety and enhanced microfoam milk for your lattes and cappuccinos every time. The Dual Temp Pro also applies the auto-purge features after each steaming to maintain the right temperature for the next extraction. As a low-maintenance machine, it comes with a cleaning and drip tray alert for user convenience.
The machine weighs 12.98 lbs. and has a dimension (WxDxH) of 12.6 x 10.1 x 13.1 inches. The water tank has a capacity of 61 oz.
The machine comes with a dose trimmer, 4 single and dual wall filter baskets (1-cup and 2-cup), a milk jug (16 oz.), a 54mm stainless steel portafilter (with commercial style spouts), an integrated removable tamper, silicon cleaning disc, cleaning tool, cleaning tablets, and a water filter (with holder).
- Its maintenance indicators.
- The pre-infusion espresso extraction formula.
- High-power pump with the auto-purge function.
- Ability to produce professional café-quality microfoam.
- Strikes a good balance between manual and auto features.
- No integrated grinder.
- No ThermoJet 3-second heat-up time.
- No automated milk temperature control.
Breville BES880BSS Barista Touch
- Create specialty coffee easily with the pre-programmed touch screen display.
- Adjust coffee strength, milk texture, and temperature to your taste.
- Get water at the precise temperature for optimal extraction with PID control.
- Heat up quickly with the ThermoJet heating system.
- Makes micro-foam milk that enhances flavor with Auto steam.
The Barista Touch is simply one of the best Breville machines ever. You’ll get quality performance with its intuitive touch screen display, built-in grinder, pre-programmed café drinks menu, and automatic milk texturing function. Make your favorite coffee in 3 simple steps: grinding, brewing, and milk texturing. The cherry on top is that you get to save up to 8 personalized recipes on this intelligent machine.
The innovative ThermoJet heating system eliminates waiting time and guarantees optimal extraction temperature in 3 seconds. Then comes the PID technology, which controls water temperature for ideal extraction. With its hands-free operating formula, the coffee grind will go directly into the portafilter. To deliver barista-quality milk, its automatic steam wand offers customization of the milk temperature and textures.
The Barista Touch weighs 26.8 lbs. and has a compact dimension (WxDxH) of 12.5 x 12.7 x 16 inches. The bean hopper and the water tank capacities are 0.5 lbs. and 67 oz., respectively.
It comes with a 54mm stainless steel portafilter, single and double wall filter baskets, a milk jug (16 oz.), a ClaroSwiss water filter, a dose trimmer, a cleaning kit, and water hardness test strips.
- Touch screen user interface.
- 2-year product repair guarantee.
- 5 pre-programmed recipes and 8 user profiles.
- Integrated conical ardor grinder has 30 grind settings.
- Programmable single shot, double shot, milk temperature, and texture options.
- Water filter is hard to come by and the tank is not easily accessible.
- It doesn’t have a cup warmer and the machine lacks automated cleaning options.
Breville ESP8XL Café Roma
- The Stainless-steel espresso machine is perfect for making excellent crema and froth enhancers.
- The dual-wall filter system ensures that your coffee will always taste great.
- The included tamping tool, measuring spoon, and cleaning tool make it easy to keep your machine clean.
- The removable drip tray and grid make it easy to clean up after use.
- The 1-year limited warranty gives you peace of mind.
The Café Roma by Breville is one of the smallest espresso makers. Yet, it has a Thermoblock heating system for optimal espresso extraction at the right temperature. When it comes to espresso quality, its 15-bar Italian pump pressure creates a rich crema, a barista-style aroma, and an authentic taste. One of the specialties of this machine is that it can work with pods as well.
It has a simple interface and is thus extremely easy-to-use. The Café Roma has a heating indicator light. It only glows orange when the machine is heating up. The dual-action dial has to be turned right to start the extraction. When turned left, it enables the steam wand. This professional-grade, adjustable steam wand also has a finger loop for easy control. You’d be able to make a velvety smooth and creamy thick froth with it. On top of the machine, the cup warmer tray can fit in 6 espresso cups at once.
This machine weighs 13 lbs. and has a dimension (WxDxH) of 8.5 x 8.7 x 11.8 inches. Its water tank capacity is 41 oz. The machine offers a manually controlled shot volume and adjustable water temperature.
The machine comes with a steel milk jug, a tamping tool, a measuring spoon, and cleaning tools.
- Espresso shots are high-quality.
- Maintains aroma and taste of the coffee.
- Incredibly affordable yet high-quality machine.
- Easy to operate and requires little cleaning and maintenance.
- Stainless steel-made and aesthetically suitable for any kitchen.
- Only 1-year limited product warranty.
- The machine cannot facilitate taller cups.
- Slow heat-up time and longer brewing period.
- There is no capacity indicator for the drip tray.
Breville BES878BSS Barista Pro
- Built-in grinder with dose control delivers the right amount of coffee on demand for maximum flavor.
- The innovative ThermoJet heating system achieves the optimum extraction temperature in 3 seconds.
- The powerful steam wand performs at the level that allows you to hand texture micro-foam milk.
- 54mm ports-filter with 19-22 grams is the key for full flavor and cafe-quality coffee.
- LCD with grinding and extracting progress animations provides you with all the precise information you need to make coffee exactly the way you like it every time.
Barista Pro is made for quality performance with utter convenience. Its intuitive interface provides all the information as if making third-wave specialty coffee at home was never been this easy.
The integrated steel burr grinders deliver the right amount of ground coffee while preserving maximum aroma and flavor. Its ThermoJet features allows a 3-second heat-up time and precise espresso extraction faster than ever. It’s an all-in-one espresso machine that goes from beans to espresso in under a minute.
Like a true Breville machine, it comes with Dose Control Grinding. With a single touch, you’ll be delivered the right amount of coffee on demand for maximum flavor. It also has a low-pressure pre-infusion to ensure even extraction of all flavors for a balanced cup of espresso. As always, Breville’s PID technology controls optimal extraction by maintaining perfect water temperature. It’s also equipped with a powerful steam wand that makes rich, velvety microfoam for your latte and cappuccino delights.
It has a dimension of (WxDxH) 13.9 x 13.5 x 16 inches and weighs 26.5 lbs. It comes with a 0.5 lbs. bean hopper and a 67 oz. water tank.
You’ll also have a single and double-wall filter basket (1 and 2 cups), a dosing tool, a 500ml milk jug, a cleaning kit, and a water filter with the machine.
- Integrated steel conical burrs.
- It has 30 precision grind settings.
- 15-bar Italian pump and PID control.
- It comes with a 2-year repair warranty.
- Single and double cup volumetric control.
- The manual tamper is magnetically removable.
- The machine is difficult to clean.
- The burr grinders are loud when operational.
Breville BES920XL Double Boiler
- Professional Dual Boiler construction for unparalleled temperature control.
- Dose Control Grinding for a consistent and balanced espresso.
- Optimal Water Pressure for a better extraction.
- Manual Microfoam Milk Texturing for enhanced flavor.
- 2-Year Limited Product Warranty included.
The Breville BES920XL, also popularly known as the Breville Dual Boiler, offers commercial performance in a domestic space. As the name suggests, it has 2 stainless steel boilers. The one for making espresso is controlled by PID temperature. The 2nd one offers instant and powerful steam on demand. So, steaming milk and making espresso can be done simultaneously. Its double boilers also feature an overpressure valve (OPV) that limits the maximum extraction pressure to prevent bitter flavors. The low-pressure pre-infusion ensures even extraction.
Its Dose Control Grind technology achieves a consistent, balanced espresso with the correct amount of ground coffee. The 58mm porta-port holds a 19–20g grind to maximize each espresso shot’s quality. Manual or automatic, single and double, its shots are of the highest quality as it utilizes the PID controlled grouphead to maintain optimal water temperature. The cherry on top is its programmable temperature feature for each drink. Its manual steam wand allows maximum milk texturing just like a commercial machine.
The BES920XL has a dimension (WxDxH) of 15.9 x 14.7 x 14.9 inches and weighs 30 lbs. It has a sizeable 84 oz. water reservoir as well. Breville used stainless steel to construct the exterior and the dual boilers of this model.
The machine comes with a 58mm dosing tool, a 58mm steel-made portafilter, a 16 oz. steel-made milk jug, 1-cup and 2-cup (both single and dual wall) filter baskets, an integrated tamper, a cleaning kit, water hardness test strips, and a water filter (with its holder).
- It comes with a 2-year repair warranty.
- Incredible barista-quality microfoam maker.
- Gives you a professional barista-like coffee experience.
- The customizable user interface is controlled by an LCD screen and buttons.
- It doesn’t have an integrated grinder.
- It doesn’t have a 3-second warmup time.
Factors Before Your Breville Purchase
Assuming that you’ve read through our Breville espresso machine reviews, you may start to think that there are too many factors involved behind each one’s legitimacy! Don’t worry, we’ve also narrowed down some key factors to look for when it comes to a Breville purchase. So, read on!
If you like to work for your espresso shot, you should only look at Breville’s semi-automatic machines. Semi-autos offer control over grind, dosage, tamping, and milk frothing.
Automatic machines are your best bet if you want to do as little work as possible with your espresso. The shots will be pre-programmed and won’t need your help to stop them. Only the milk frothing part will be a manual task.
Now come the super-automatics. They do all the work for you with the touch of one or two buttons. All functions (even the frothing) are pre-programmed and customizable. These machines are the most expensive of them all as well.
It’s worth mentioning that Breville’s espresso machines are always better than the quality of its grinders. So, for coffee connoisseurs, the safest bet would be to spend less on the machine and use the rest on a good separate grinder. But for most of us out here, an espresso machine with an integrated grinder will be a lifesaver.
Breville machines use either a Thermocoil or a boiler. Its Thermocoil heating system is definitely faster as it requires only 25 seconds to heat-up. On top of that, Breville’s upgraded it to the Thermojet technology. This even faster technology gives a blistering 3-second heat-up time.
Its dual boiler espresso machines guarantee stability but take 10–20 minutes to heat up. Breville sometimes uses an auto-on timing gauge function to mediate this issue a bit.
Thermocoil-based machines are small and compact by design. On the other hand, double-boiler machines have a large footprint.
The hallmarks of the Breville family are quality construction, consistently delicious espresso, and enhanced controls. From the entry-level Cafe Roma to the more luxurious Barista Touch, and everything in between, there’s a lot there for everyone who’s craving special espresso machines.
If you’d like to pick something different from Breville, check out our Best Jura Machines article right here. We hope you’ve not only enjoyed the read but also formulated a clear idea for your next espresso machine.
Is Breville Made In China?
All Breville products are designed and engineered in Australia but manufactured and assembled in China.
Why Is Breville Called Sage?
The U.K. Breville products come from the Jarden Corp. It’s a separately owned and operated company. That’s why they gave their European brand a different name, Sage.
How Long Does The Breville Barista Express Last?
If a Breville machine is properly cared for, it’ll last for 10 years.
What Are The Differences Between Barista Pro And Express?
Barista Pro uses faster ThermoJet technology, whereas Express uses a Thermocoil. The Pro has LCD-based programmable settings as opposed to Express’s button-based controls. The Pro is newer and more expensive than the Barista Express.
Is Breville Infuser Same As Barista Express?
They do have the same features, but the Infuser doesn’t come with an integrated grinder.
Is The Breville Barista Pro Dual Boiler?
No, the Barista Pro uses the ThermoJet heating system