The Bodum coffee makers are designed to provide everyone access to the world of best-quality pour-over coffee at awesomely attractive price points. Bodum Pour Over is a simple machine – A cost-effective, beginner-level pour-over coffee maker. Designed for a simple task and it gets that task done absolutely well.
It comes with a permanent mesh filter, a glass carafe, a measuring spoon, and a silicone-made seal to preserve the warmth of the coffee in the carafe. You can right away apply pre-ground coffee. But for the best results, you better start with fresh whole coffee beans. The coffee is done simply and slowly. It’s like a ritual. A pleasurable way of beginning your day. In this Bodum Pour Over coffee maker review, we’ll be explaining product features, pros, and cons, why you should need and a few alternatives.
- Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker Review: The Key Features
- Product Specifications
- Pros And Cons
- How To Make Coffee With The Bodum Pour Over
- Safety, Cleaning, And Maintenance Instructions
- Why You Should Buy It…
- Why You Shouldn't Buy It…
- Customers And Critics' Feedback
- Alternatives And Comparison
- Final Thoughts
Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker Review: The Key Features
Let’s take a closer look at some of the key features Bodum Pour Over offers.
- It has a strong heat-resistant silicone seal
- You can pick among 12, 17, 34, or 51-ounce versions of the machine
- A simple device without any fancy whistles and bells. Still, it’s a stylish and well-designed piece of machine
- The Bodum Pour Over is also available in different colors. Pick one that matches your kitchen aesthetics
- The coffee carafe is durable and heat-resistant. Due to the usage of borosilicate glass with color bands. Detailing that it is both elegant and functional. The glass carafe is sturdy and with proper care, you’ll get many years of service out of it
- Bodum Pour Over Coffee Maker is capable of making 8 cups with 4 oz. of coffee for each cup
- The resulting flavor is richer and cleaner, compared to brewing the same beans through a regular French Press
- Compared to other similarly priced pour-over coffee makers, Bodum’s brewing quality will exceed your expectations – that’s a guarantee
- Stainless steel-made a permanent, mesh filter helps to extract the coffee’s aromatic oils. Preserves subtle flavors rather than being absorbed by a paper filter
- The better coffee beans you use, the better-tasting coffee you will get from the pour-over. It’s that simple. You’ll get the best outcomes if you grind the whole beans by yourself and right before the brewing
- Overall, our pour-over Bodum review agrees with the statement that it’s a lot easier to clean than any other French Press you already have in your kitchen
- The permanent mesh filter really shines with regular care and attention. So make sure not to leave it all gunked up over a long period
- Fortunately, Bodum has made every part of the coffee maker washable inside a dishwasher. That’s incredibly efficient and helpful in any busy household
Available colors are Black and White. You can purchase with a cork band and double wall cork. Comes with a capacity of 1.0 L. Product width of 13.8, a height of 22.0, and a depth of 13.8 (all in cm).
Materials used for the construction of these products are stainless steel, borosilicate glass, plastic, and silicone. It weighs 1.03 pounds or, 16.48 ounces. Capacity variants are 12, 17, 34, and 51 ounces. Product variations feature another one with 27 ounces durable Stainless Steel Made water kettle.
Pros And Cons
The Bodum Pour Over is an ideal option for entry-level or general coffee lovers. Drinkers who are eager to dip their toes into the world of pour-over coffee without spending a lot of money.
Available at a friendly price. Elegant-looking design. It comes with a permanent mesh filter as well as an inbuilt decanter. Incredibly easy to use the machine. Easy to Maintain and clean.
Can’t generate the depth of flavor compared to the more technical pour-over machines such as the Chemex, or Kalita Wave. The spout of the decanter is prone to spillage and is not ideally designed. The permanent mesh filter can’t perform consistently with different levels of coffee grinds.
- Brew an excellent cup of coffee in minutes
- Makes 8 cups of coffee, 4 oz. each
- Includes a permanent stainless steel mesh filter that helps extract coffee’s aromatic oils and subtle flavors instead of being absorbed by a paper filter
- The coffee carafe is made of durable, heat-resistant borosilicate glass with cork band detailing that is both functional and elegant
How To Make Coffee With The Bodum Pour Over
30g coffee grinds and 500 ml hot water (suitable for 2 cups).
Preheat the filter. It will help to extract the perfect output. Pour hot water over the filter in the decanter.
Pour about 60-80ml of hot water. Preferably 195° to 205°F. Boil and then leave out for 30 seconds over the coffee beans. It will evenly saturate them. Now leave to ‘bloom’ for 30 to 45 seconds.
Pour the rest of the water over the grinds in increments. Pour some and then wait till the water level subsides. Then pour more again until the rest of the water is poured.
Take off the filter now. Place on the pouring cap. Give your coffee a swirl. Then pour it into mugs and enjoy!
Safety, Cleaning, And Maintenance Instructions
- Not suitable at all for stovetop use
- Use only filtered ground coffee for brewing
- This coffee maker is not user-friendly for children
- Wash in soapy, warm water before your first usage and dry it thoroughly
- Both the glass carafe as well as the stainless steel filter are dishwasher-safe
- Keep children away from this maker while using it. Hot water is a hazard to children!
- Make sure that the boiling water has fully passed through the filter every time before discarding the filter from the beaker
- Check the glass beaker for any scratches, chips, or cracks. Avoid using any pot that is scratched or cracked or chipped or all of them
- To wash this machine, detach the cork and leather (109) (or cork and silicone). The glass carafe can be washed in your dishwasher
Why You Should Buy It…
From Bodum’s double-wall pour-over reviews, one thing was universally certain, its bulk brewing capability. It can do a single serving. But it is really built to provide a full pot of coffee for mass gatherings of people who have just popped around or even for workplace setups.
The coffee maker is available in four different sizes: 12oz, 17oz (4 cups), 34oz (8 cups), and 51oz (12 cups). All of these can work fine but we recommend you the 34oz version. The Bodum is a pour-over machine that aims to make machines good for capacity and multi-server setups.
One of the key selling points about this Bodum model is that it’s incredibly economical for the quality of materials that you will be getting. Bodum pour-over is made out of the best-quality borosilicate glass from Portugal. It is purposefully designed to endure the heat. Chemex uses the same glass but is priced double the Bodum!
Additionally, the permanent mesh filter just saves from buying any paper filters. Moreover, as this model is considered an entry-level pour-over machine, it doesn’t need additional technical accessories. The same cannot be said about other entry-level pour-over machines. All of such means that the Bodum is just an economical way to allow pour-over coffee a go and find out the flavor.
Ease of Use
We’ve already informed Bodum comes with a stainless steel-made mesh filter. This filter is also flat-bottomed hence a fairly forgiving pour-over. Making a relatively enjoyable pot of brew cannot be any easier.
Also, the build of the Bodum cuts out the need for careful ratios, time accuracy, and scaling for your pour-overs. Only learn and be aware of the bloom time. This flavor profile and ease of use experience are heavily evident in the overwhelmingly positive appraise and reviews on the Bodum Pour-over on Amazon and other worldwide retail sites.
Bodum also turned the critics’ heads with its graceful, simplistic, and elegant look. The Bodum comes with either a plastic band or a cork around the neck of its decanter. The rubber and plastic bands come in white, black, red, blue, sand, and lime-green colors. Even if you opt for the cork option you will get a coffee maker with a natural and aesthetically pleasing look in your kitchen.
Why You Shouldn’t Buy It…
The Decanter Spout
Unfortunately, the spout of the Bodum pour-over is less than good. It can easily spill your coffee if not careful when pouring. This also indicates that the coffee will often drip onto the cork band. This may not be a big deal but a bit frustrating scenario nonetheless.
The biggest gripe that you’ll have in our Bodum pour-over coffee review is that the steel mesh filter is just not best for an extraction part. The lack of a paper filter allows more oils from the coffee beans to sip into the coffee. On top of that, it allows more water to bypass the beans and makes for a far quicker extraction period.
This is also worsened by the filter’s flat plastic bottom. The flat bottom can cause an uneven extraction too. This all results in a weaker cup of joe. Cuts down the shine of specific flavor notes which is really what actually sets the pour-over formula apart. The stainless steel mesh filter also allows some grind sediment to go through the coffee pot.
Customers And Critics’ Feedback
Most of the users and critics from various pour-over Bodum reviews did admit that their coffee tasted better with consistency. Most critics did find the distribution of water was even enough on the coffee grounds to bring a superior taste. Customers actually loved the fact that it’s very well made and super easy to clean at the same time.
The glass used for the carafe is of top-notch quality – according to the experts who ran reviews of the product. The cork grips suit greatly. Most customers and critics alike drew parallels with the Chemex pour-over when it comes to the fines usage of the leather string gripped pots. Overall, the feedback can be summarized with adjectives like sleek, nice looking, and incredibly well-designed. It’s a high-value-for-money product no doubt!
Alternatives And Comparison
Coffee Gator Pour Over
|Weighs 1.03 lbs.||Weighs 0.9 lbs.|
|34 oz. standard capacity||14 oz. standard capacity|
|The filter sometimes lets small sediments pass through||Convenient coffee maker makes a lot of coffee|
|The filter sometimes lets small sediments pass-through||The Coffee Gator’s mesh filter performs better compared to Bodum’s filter|
|12, 17, 34, and 51 ounces capacity available||10.5, 14, and 27 ounces capacity available|
The setup is very simple for this machine. For its price you will definitely get back your money’s worth. Glass is pretty thin. But if you maintain it with proper care, it can offer a long lifespan. Probably the best mesh filter available. The drawback is it quickly cools down after its brewing. The user must transfer to the kettle/pot faster. Coffee brewing happens faster. So achieving a strong flavored coffee is not always guaranteed.
- Paperless, Portable, with Glass Carafe
- Built with a laser-cut stainless steel mesh filter
- BPA-Free brewer delivers a cleaner taste and is kinder to the environment
- Heat-resistant glass and a cool-touch collar for easy handling
Kajava Mama Pour Over Coffee Maker
|Glass, plastic, and steel made||Only ceramic made|
|Stainless steel mesh filter||Paper filter|
|Weighs 1.03 pounds||Weighs 1.21 pounds|
|Dimension 5.43 x 0.87 x 5.43 inches||Dimension 6 x 4 x 6 inches|
|12, 17, 34, and 51 ounces capacity||1 cup and 2 cups capacity variants|
Kajava Mama Pour Over coffee maker is designed and built at such an angle that it lets the coffee ground bloom. Thus you will get a delicious cup of coffee. The coffee maker is hand-made with deluxe quality ceramic. The material can engross heat evenly. Hence maintains the perfect temperature and keeps the handle cold. So you avoid getting scalded.
It’s very handy and offers great durability. Since ceramic in itself is a fragile material and can easily be broken or fractured, it is always a drawback for this device.
- Traditional, hands-on brewing experience
- Extracts all the rich flavors of ground coffee
- Brew the perfect cup & customize the strength
- Tough & sleek design – made of premium, smooth ceramic
Cuisinart CPO-800P1 Coffee Maker
|Non-electric machine||Electric machine|
|Simple functionalities||Advanced and customizable|
|Economically priced||Highly-priced coffee maker|
|Glass carafe only||Glass and thermal carafes are available|
|Weighs 1.03 pounds||Weighs 9 pounds|
Offers simple adjustments. So you can prepare coffee with mild, medium, or strong strength levels. You can alter the water temperature from hot to extra hot. This electric coffee maker also offers 24-hour programmability and fast brewing functions. It can make 8 cups worth of coffee at once. Only the carafe is dishwasher safe. Also offers a 3-year limited warranty. The drawback includes the small capacity for an electric brewer.
- SCAA Certified
- Fully Automatic Coffee Brewer
- Temperature Control
- Flavor Strength Control
How Much Coffee Do You Use For A Pour Over?
30 grams of coffee or two full scoops of coffee grinds for making 1 to 2 cups. Some may use 30 grams for a single cup of coffee. So, it ultimately comes down to the palate and preference of the drinker.
How Many Cups Is The Bodum Pour Over?
The coffee maker is available in 4 sizes – 12oz, 17oz (4 cups), 34oz (8 cups), and 51oz (12 cups). All of these can work fine. The 34oz version is viewed as a standard version.
Do You Need A Filter For Bodum Pour Over?
Bodum comes with a stainless steel-made permanent mesh filter. This means you don’t need to have any paper filters as long as you use them.
What Is Better Pour Over Or The French Press?
If you are seeking a smooth-tasting cup of java similar to a drip coffee, then you will like the taste of pour-over coffee compared to the French press.
Despite pointing out some of the few technical issues in our Bodum Pour Over coffee review we can still admit that it’s an easy access and an affordable gateway machine into the world of pour-over coffee. The flavor profile and depth may vary as compared to the more technical and expensive pour-overs, but the overall verdict declares that it brews really enjoyable coffee. It doesn’t need the range of bonus accessories either. So if you are an amateur in the world of pour-over coffee or trying to love new methods of brewing coffee then we wholeheartedly recommend this elegant and efficient coffee maker!
However, if you are already an experienced pour-over brewer and looking to develop your skills further then check out some of the alternatives we mentioned above. Some of the high-end pour-over machines require far greater technique, consistency, and precision to deliver a perfectly sophisticated cup of coffee. Whatever your aim or style is, we hope our Bodum Pour Over coffee maker review helps you now or anytime soon.