Jura’s one of the latest releases in their Ena family, the Ena 4 will make you an espresso, lungo, and their doppios. Utilizes freshly ground or pre-ground for your cup of coffee at the touch of a button. Compared to other Jura automatics, this machine offers fewer drink variations. But there are more pros than cons.
Our Jura ENA 4 espresso machine review will showcase how this machine is worth your time. You can customize presets, coffee strengths, and drink sizes for every cup of coffee with the Jura ENA 4. In addition, ENA 4’s G3 Aroma grinder grinds the beans extra fast with precision. Let’s dive in to unravel this full-automatic in our Jura ENA 4 review!
Jura Ena 4 Review: Key Features
Simple But Effective Operations
The Ena 4 has preset functions for single or double shots of espresso. You can also make single or dual-serving cups of delicious Lungo. If desired, the intuitive front display will let you customize these presets.
You can switch between mild, normal, and strong coffee strengths whenever you wish. All you have to do is press the coffee strength button 1x/2x/3x accordingly for the change.
The grinder can also be switched from coarser to finer for a perfect grind of your beans. The same goes for the drink sizes as Ena 4 can save these customizations for later use.
Ena 4’s powder chute helps you to prepare flavored and decaf drinks. Thus, you don’t have to change the beans in the grinder.
Energy Saving Technologies
Jura is one of the leading innovators for making smart espresso machines. Ena 4 is no stranger to that. One of the key features in our Jura Ena 4 espresso machine review is its Energy Save Mode that allows to save up to 40% electricity. Also, the programmable switch-off timer ranges from 15 minutes to 1 – 9 hours.
Jura also added their patented Zero-energy switch that can switch off the machine without halting the brewing process. It also performs an auto rinse before disconnecting the machine.
Smart Water Filtration
Jura’s Smart CLEARYL water filtration has already made a wave of appraisals from the café aficionados. The Ena 4 also utilizes the same water filtration technology. It’s intelligent enough to detect the filter status and monitor it. By doing this, you’ll get alerts from the machine if any changing or cleaning either of the filter or water tank is required.
Aroma G3 Grinder
A revolutionary technology for Jura’s grinders. Ena 4’s Aroma G3 grinder works precisely and quickly to preserve the aroma and freshness of the beans. It also reduces the grinding time and noise greatly. The aroma preservation lid retains the aroma for a prolonged period.
Smart P.E.P. Technology
Also known as the Pulse Extraction Process is another patented Jura technology that ensures optimum extraction time. The P.E.P. allows hot water to run slower and longer through the grind to extract a fuller aroma for each cup.
Adjustable Coffee Spout
You can adjust and move the coffee spout up or downwards to accommodate various cup/glass sizes for your lungos and espressos. The spouts’ adjustable height ranges from 3 – 4.1 inches.
You’ll be guided to operate various maintenance actions for this Ena 4. Including descaling, rinsing, cleaning, and filter changing. You’ll also have the option to connect with the J.O.E. app to control it from remote devices.
Ena 4 has built with stainless steel, aluminum, plastic, and silicone which resulted in a weight of 18.5 lbs. It’s a small full-automatic machine with a dimension of (H x W × D) 12.7 x 10.7 x 17.5 inches.
It has espresso, espresso doppio, coffee, and coffee doppio drink options with 3 sizes and strengths. Its 36.8 oz. water tank, 4.4 oz. bean container, one 15-bar pump, and one thermoblock heating work in tandem to brew these drinks. You can also adjust spout height 3 – 4.1 inches for your glass/cup. Additionally, you can use 6-10 g of pre-ground coffee if required. The fresh coffee ground container can hold 10 servings worth of ground.
It runs on 120 Voltage and 1450 Wattage with 10 Ampacity. But to match Jura’s energy-saving principles ENA 4 has Energy Save Mode (E.S.M.), Zero-Energy Switch, and Programmable switch-off timer.
Pros And Cons
- It comes with a 2-year warranty.
- 3 different coffee strength levels.
- Programmable recipes, strength, and cup sizes.
- Within 20 seconds you can enjoy an espresso or coffee.
- P.E.P extraction process to make perfect espressos every time.
- One of the smartest full-automatic machines with a small footprint.
- No need to remove the brewing units as it’s a fully self-cleaning machine.
- Focuses on sustainability and eco-friendliness by only allowing ground and pre-ground coffee.
- Small water reservoir.
- Makes only one cup at a time.
- It can’t make any milk-based coffee drinks.
How to Use
- Place it on a horizontal surface, away from water, and far away from overheating possibilities.
- Remove the grinder lid and clean the container. Fill it with beans and close the down.
- Take a water hardness test strip and hold it under the water for 1 second. Then shake off the water and wait one minute. Keep note of the result.
- Plug the machine into the mains and press the On/Off button to turn it on.
- Press either the “coffee” or ”espresso” button to set the afore-tested water hardness. Press the “coffee strength” button to save.
- Once done, the “filter” and “water tank” symbols will appear. Detach the water tank, fit the filter cartridge extension, and insert the filter into the water tank.
- Now, fill the tank with fresh cold water and reinstall it.
- Put a bowl/receptacle under the coffee spout. Water will flow out of the spout by rinsing the filter.
- When the “coffee grounds container” symbol will appear, empty the drip tray and grounds container. Reattach them back into the machine.
- Voila! Your ENA is ready for use now!
To select/change coffee strength, press the “coffee strength” button 1x for ‘mild’, 2x for ‘normal’, and 3x for ‘strong’. You can do this before or during grinding.
Making Single Shot Coffee And Espresso
- Put a cup/glass under the spout.
- Press the “coffee” or “espresso” button only once.
- The preset amount of coffee will pour into the cup.
Making Double Shots Coffee And Espresso
- Put a glass/cup under the spout.
- Press the “coffee” or ”espresso” button 2x.
- Two brewing will happen one after the other.
- Change the glass/cup after the 1st brewing.
- To brew 2 coffees, press the coffee button 2x.
- The preset coffee will pour into the cup.
Cleaning And Maintenance
The cleaning program lasts 20 minutes. After brewing 180 times or 80 switch-on rinses, the Ena 4 will prompt you to clean it.
Phase – 1
- The “cleaning” symbol will light up. Press the “programming mode” button for 2 seconds. It will light up the “coffee grounds container” symbol.
- Then, empty out the drip tray and grounds container. Reattach them back into the unit.
- Place a receptacle/bowl under the spout. Press the “coffee strength” button. It’ll glow up the “2x coffee strength” symbol.
- It will trigger the rinsing and water will flow out of the spout.
- When the “ground coffee” symbol lights up, it’ll stop the rinsing.
Phase – 2
- Open the ground coffee powder chute to put a Jura cleaning tablet. Then close the chute.
- Press the “coffee strength” button to trigger the “3x coffee strength” symbol.
- Water will flow out of the spout multiple times.
- The operation will stop automatically when the “coffee grounds container” symbol lights up.
- Empty out both the drip tray and grounds container to put them back into the machine.
- If done accurately, the “3x coffee strength and ground coffee” symbol will flash 3x in quick succession.
The Ena 4 automatically prompts you to descale when necessary. The descaling cycle lasts 45 minutes.
- Begin only when the “descaling” symbol lights up. Press the “programming mode” button for 2 seconds to trigger the “ground coffee” symbol.
- Now you can empty the drip tray and grounds container. Put them back in again.
- It will flash up the “water tank” symbol. So, remove and empty out the water tank.
- Dissolve 3 Jura descaling tablets with 17 oz. (500 ml.) of fresh water and wait several minutes.
- Pour the solution into the already emptied water tank and insert it into the machine.
- Now press the “coffee strength” button which will begin water pouring out of the spout several times.
- The operation will stop once the “coffee grounds container” symbol lights up.
- Empty the drip tray and grounds container. Reinstall them back into the unit.
- This will light up the “water tank” symbol. So, remove the tank and rinse it well.
- Fill it with fresh, cold water and reinsert it into the machine. Press the “coffee strength” button to continue the remaining operation.
- Once the “coffee grounds container” symbol lights up, empty out the drip tray and grounds container.
- Put them back into the machine to trigger the “3x coffee strength and ground coffee” symbol. It will flash 3x in quick succession to indicate the end of descaling.
Why You Should Buy It…
If you’re in search of a small-sized full-automatic espresso machine then you’ll hit the jackpot with Ena 4. This small-footprinted Jura fits right in many small spaces.
If you’re in need of simple yet consistent brewing everyday then this one-touch intuitively controlled Ena 4 is perfect for you.
If you’re a fan of having black coffee from an easy-to-maintain machine with a faster grinder then Jura Ena 4 should top your wishlist.
If you demand eco-friendly and energy-saving principles from your coffee makers then Jura has definitely delivered those promises through Ena 4.
Why You Shouldn’t Buy It…
If you’re looking for more drink options and bigger capacity from your full-automatic machine then Ena 4 is not your type.
Espresso-based milk drinks can’t be made with Ena 4. So, if you need one that makes those delicious lattes and cappuccinos then you’d have to look somewhere else.
Does a Jura Machine worth it?
Yes, Jura not only makes technologically savvy espresso machines but also there’s nothing finicky about their features, and consequently will serve you for a long time.
What Is The Cheapest Jura Machine?
It’d be Jura A1 Ultra Compact. It’s compact and comes at the lowest price.
What are the best-selling Jura machines in 2021?
In the year 2021, the bestselling Jura models were A1, D6, Ena8, E8, E6, S8, Z8, and Giga 6.
We conclude this Jura Ena 4 review by assuring that it’s a worthwhile upgrade from a standard pod/capsule machine. Ena 4 is great for brewing superior quality black coffees consistently for years.