Disclaimer: This page contains multiple affiliate links. We state that we may earn affiliate commission from qualifying purchases at no cost to you. See Details.
The JURA S8 is a high-end super automatic brewing machine. It has advanced features like a user-friendly high definition touch screen and controls for different milk froth consistencies. But it also grinds fresh beans old-school rather than using waste-producing pods. And it has many special features so you can make just the right coffee combination for your day. Stick around for our Jura S8 review and learn more.
Jura S8 Basic Specs
The JURA S8 holds 64 ounces of water. The unit is 13.7 inches high and easily fits under standard kitchen cabinets. The grinder portion at the top has a 10-ounce container for coffee beans as well as an opening for pre-ground coffee. Next to that is the grinder adjustment dial, which goes from coarse ground for regular coffee, to the fine ground setting for espresso.
The cup platform height is 4.5 inches, and there is a maximum of 6 inches of space between the coffee/milk spout and the cup platform. The S8 weighs in at about 22 pounds and comes with a 5-year warranty. Operating instructions can be seen on the unit’s screen if desired, so you can see the steps to make each drink.
The S8 uses a pulse extraction process (P.E.P.), which does a quick pre-infusion of water into the post-grinder coffee puck to ensure consistent wetness throughout the puck before brew pressure begins. The resulting gradual coffee extraction produces a flavorful coffee drink.
Review of the Jura S8
- ONE TOUCH: Prepare 15 barista quality specialties including espresso, coffee, cappuccino, flat white and latte macchiato at the touch of a button
- PERFECT ESPRESSO: Ultimate coffee quality thanks to JURA's exclusive Pulse Extraction Process
- CONICAL BURR GRINDER: Fast and precise AromaG3 grinder grinds whole beans to the optimum fineness
- ECO FRIENDLY: JURA is always freshly ground, not capsuled - fresh taste with very limited waste - single serve machine
- CAPACITY: 64 ounce water tank, 10 ounce bean container
The JURA S8 automatic coffee machine is a pricey yet exceptional addition to the market. This complicated-looking machine is very easy to use. Just pour in your favorite beans, fill the water tank, and select your desired drink on the display screen. Before you know it, your customized hot drink is ready to enjoy.
And because you’re grinding fresh coffee beans, your drink will be fresher and much more delicious than a brew from a pod coffee maker.
The S8 can make sixteen different special coffee drinks, including:
- Latte Macchiato
- Regular coffee, one cup or two simultaneously
- Hot water for teas
- Ristretto, one or two simultaneously
- Espresso or 2 x espresso
The JURA S8 also has froth and mixing features to finish the job like a barista:
- Fine Foam FrotherG2 for the perfect milk texture
- Milk heater for flat white (froth-less milk) for lattes and macchiatos
Serious coffee drinkers who like different degrees of milk froth will especially appreciate the fine adjustability of this unit’s settings. With a turn of the lever, you can get the same froth quality — and even the look — of the expensive shops’ concoctions.
There are special containers available to purchase, so you will always have milk ready to go for the machine. And the unit will automatically clean the frothing system 15 minutes after you’re done frothing, keeping the parts clean for the next drink brewer.
The S8 has highly customizable brewing, including ten different brew strength settings. Even with the number of different drinks the S8 makes, you can customize each drink selection to your desired coffee strength and milk froth consistency. You can even name your special drink on the display pad to enjoy it again.
The unit can be automatically set to automatically power off for between 15 minutes to 9 hours of non-use. You can operate the S8 through Smart Connect and the J.O.E. (JURA Operating Experience) app on tablet or phone if you are in a hurry or want to have a cup waiting for you while you get dressed for work.
The grinder has a sturdy metal lid, which makes it much quieter than other grinders, and the hopper will dose a 16-gram cake per cycle so you can make two cups side by side rather than waiting for a second cycle.
A previous model JURA had a bean hopper that went straight down, but due to this grinder chute’s tilted design, the beans can get stuck in the grinder. And to avoid damage to the machine, the grinding texture can only be set while the machine is grinding, rather than as a setting that can be kept for future grinding.
The filter designated for this unit has an electronic chip to let you know when to change it, which is about once a month with heavy use. If you continually use and replace the special filter monthly, you can avoid having to descale the machine. The S8 also lets you know when the drip tray needs emptying, normally around 16 brew cycles.
Jura S8 Review: Pros and Cons
Consider these perks and potential drawbacks we came across while creating this Jura Coffee Machine S8 review.
- Easy to use
- Sturdy machine
- Brewing only takes up to two minutes
- In the long run, much cheaper than coffee from a specialty shop
- Provides good temperature of coffee and milk foam
- No need to move your cup during the coffee/frothing process
- Has a high-maintenance cleaning process which requires special tablets
- Very expensive machine
- Filters are expensive and need changing monthly
- There’s not enough space to put a normal-sized glass on the frothing platform
- There’s no way to set a timer for the machine to turn on automatically
- The frothing parts have to be changed to dispense hot water, leaving a loose part to track
- Buttons on the display sometimes don’t react easily
Benefits of the JURA S8
The JURA S8 is a great machine if you make customized coffee drinks on a daily basis. It’s like having a professional espresso/cappuccino/coffee machine in your own home. Whether you prefer a simple coffee, hot water for your oolong tea, or a large nonfat upside-down macchiato, this machine will have your chosen hot liquid ready for you in only a few moments.
This super-automatic coffee machine is ideal for people who appreciate coffee that is the same good quality as in an expensive coffee shop without the long wait and inflated cost. And in the long run, you will save money compared to that expensive coffee shop. All told, our Jura S8 coffee machine review found that this espresso maker is well worth the investment.
Enjoy Your Coffee!