The JURA S8 is a high-end super automatic brewing machine. It has advanced features like a user-friendly high definition touch screen and controls for different milk frothing consistencies. But it also grinds fresh beans old-school rather than using waste-producing pods. And it has many special features so you can make just the right coffee combination for your day. Stick around for our Jura S8 review and learn more.
Jura S8 Basic Specs
The JURA S8 holds 64 ounces of water. The unit is 13.7 inches high and easily fits under standard kitchen cabinets. The grinder portion at the top has a 10-ounce container for coffee beans as well as an opening for pre-ground coffee. Next to that is the grinder adjustment dial, which goes from coarse ground for regular coffee, to the fine ground setting for espresso.
The cup platform height is 4.5 inches, and there is a maximum of 6 inches of space between the coffee/milk spout and the cup platform. The S8 weighs in at about 22 pounds and comes with a 5-year warranty. Operating instructions can be seen on the unit’s screen if desired, so you can see the steps to make each drink.
The S8 uses a pulse extraction process (P.E.P.), which does a quick pre-infusion of water into the post-grinder coffee puck to ensure consistent wetness throughout the puck before brew pressure begins. The resulting gradual coffee extraction produces a flavorful coffee drink.
Review of the Jura S8
- ONE TOUCH: Prepare 15 barista quality specialties including espresso, coffee, cappuccino, flat white and latte macchiato at the touch of a button
- PERFECT ESPRESSO: Ultimate coffee quality thanks to JURA's exclusive Pulse Extraction Process
- CONICAL BURR GRINDER: Fast and precise AromaG3 grinder grinds whole beans to the optimum fineness
- ECO FRIENDLY: JURA is always freshly ground, not capsuled - fresh taste with very limited waste - single serve machine
- CAPACITY: 64 ounce water tank, 10 ounce bean container
The JURA S8 automatic coffee machine is a pricey yet exceptional addition to the market. This complicated-looking machine is very easy to use. Just pour in your favorite beans, fill the water tank, and select your desired drink on the display screen. Before you know it, your customized hot drink is ready to enjoy.
And because you’re grinding fresh coffee beans, your drink will be fresher and much more delicious than a brew from a pod coffee maker.
The S8 can make fifteen different special coffee drinks, including:
- Latte Macchiato
- Regular coffee, one cup of coffee or two simultaneously
- Hot water for teas
- Ristretto, one or two simultaneously
- Espresso or 2 x espresso
Jura coffee machine S8 also has froth and mixing features to finish the job like a barista:
- Fine Foam FrotherG2 for the perfect milk texture
- Milk heater for flat white (froth-less milk) for lattes and macchiatos
Serious coffee drinkers who like different degrees of milk frothing will especially appreciate the fine adjustability of this unit’s settings. With a turn of the lever, you can get the same froth quality — and even the look — of the expensive shops’ concoctions.
There are special milk containers available to purchase, so you will always have milk ready to go for the machine. And the unit will automatically clean the frothing system 15 minutes after you’re done frothing, keeping the parts clean for the next drink brewer.
The S8 has highly customizable brewing, including ten different brew strength settings. Even with the number of different coffee drinks the S8 machine makes, you can customize each drink selection to your desired coffee strength and milk froth consistency. You can even name your special drink on the display pad to enjoy it again.
The unit can be automatically set to automatically power off for between 15 minutes to 9 hours of non-use. You can operate the S8 through Smart Connect and the J.O.E. (JURA Operating Experience) app on tablet or phone if you are in a hurry or want to have a cup waiting for you while you get dressed for work.
The grinder has a sturdy metal lid, which makes it much quieter than other grinders, and the hopper will dose a 16-gram cake per cycle so you can make two cups side by side rather than waiting for a second cycle.
A previous model JURA had a bean hopper that went straight down, but due to this grinder chute’s tilted design, the beans can get stuck in the grinder. And to avoid damage to the machine, the grinding texture can only be set while the machine is grinding, rather than as a setting that can be kept for future grinding.
The filter designated for this unit has an electronic chip to let you know when to change it, which is about once a month with heavy use. If you continually use and replace the special water filter monthly, you can avoid having to descale the machine. The S8 also lets you know when the drip tray needs emptying, normally around 16 brew cycles. This smart filter helps to deliver great coffee.
Jura S8 Review: Pros and Cons
Consider these perks and potential drawbacks we came across while creating this Jura Coffee Machine S8 review.
- Sturdy machine
- Works through app
- Brewing only takes up to two minutes
- Ease of use
- In the long run, much cheaper than coffee from a specialty shop
- Provides good temperature of coffee and milk foam
- No need to move your cup during the coffee/frothing process
- Has a high-maintenance cleaning process which requires special tablets
- Very expensive machine
- Filters are expensive and need changing monthly
- There’s not enough space to put a normal-sized glass on the frothing platform
- There’s no way to set a timer for the machine to turn on automatically
- The frothing parts have to be changed to dispense hot water, leaving a loose part to track
- Buttons on the display sometimes don’t react easily
There are two separate spouts for both milk-based and non-milk-based coffee drinks. The coffee spout is at the center and on the right-hand side, you will see the milk-based coffee spout.
This automatic espresso machine features a 4.3-inch touchscreen display which makes the machine super convenient to use just like your smartphone.
There is a certain place near the water tank for inserting the Jura Smart Connect, which is a Bluetooth device for controlling the machine without even touching it.
You can adjust any preset on the fly which will let you make a personalized drink instantly.
Both the coffee and milk spouts are adjustable consequently, no need to worry about placing tall coffee mugs or small espresso shot glasses.
How To Use Jura S8
Needless to say that Jura coffee machines are all about convenience. They try hard to make their machine super convenient to use even if you don’t have much technical expertise. It comes with a bunch of cool technologies that made it a signature machine of Jura’s S line. Now, let’s take a look at how comfortable the Jura S8 is to use with step-by-step procedures.
- Fill the bean hopper with some freshly roasted beans. Make sure to seal the lid tightly in order to keep them fresh and don’t forget to adjust the grind size settings as well depending on what types of drink you are making. If you want to use ground coffee instead, there is a bypass chute next to the bean hopper. Some folks use this small door for making decaf coffee.
- After adding beans to the grinder, fill the water tank up to the max level. To avoid building any scale deposits inside the machine, attach the CLEARYL smart filter into the water tank. That way, you will never have to descale the machine.
- Now it’s time to select the type of drink you want to make. For that, you don’t have to turn any rotating switch or press any button. Just touch any particular drink from the touchscreen display and shortly after the flow will be started. Remember Jura S8 automatic espresso machine provides 15 different drink options to choose from including coffee, espresso, cappuccino, latte macchiato, and many more. You will find a couple of additional drink options at the top right corner of the display too.
- This machine does come with a drinks programing feature. To access the setting, touch the P button from the display and you will find some options along with the product settings. Since we want to program our drinks we have to select the product settings. As soon as you touch the product settings option, you will find all drinks that can be programmed. Let’s say you have selected coffee, for adjusting some brewing variables. From the display, you will find 3 variables to adjust: Strength, Volume, and Temperature. For milk-based coffee drinks, you will get the extra Milk option to adjust how much time you want the milk to be flown into the coffee.
- Now you know how to operate the Jura S8 manually. Let’s learn how to use this machine using your smartphone. Like we said earlier, a Bluetooth receiver called Jura Smart Connect needs to be inserted into the machine if you want to control the entire machine without even touching it. With the help of a Jura Smart Connect, you can also do all the maintenance tasks just by instructing Siri.
Benefits of the JURA S8
The S8 Jura is a great machine if you make customized coffee drinks on a daily basis. It’s like having a professional espresso/cappuccino/coffee machine in your own home. You can start your day with the perfect coffee every morning.
Whether you prefer a simple coffee, hot water for your oolong tea, or a large nonfat upside-down macchiato, this machine will have your chosen hot liquid ready for you in only a few moments. The bean to cup coffee machine will deliver the best coffee with the perfect coffee flavor.
The body is made with stainless steel. Three colors available for this machine. Chrome, piano black & moonlight silver.
Who Should Buy It?
The manufacturer used to consider Jura S8 as a premium-mid range coffee maker. Although, after looking at the price tag of the machine you may think that why not other espresso machines instead of this pricey one. So, in this segment, we will try to break down why this machine can be worth the money and who should buy it. Along with that, we will also mention who should stay away from this highly-priced Jura machine.
First off, if you are looking for superior convenience and a satisfactory solution for your daily coffee or milk-based espresso beverages then this could be a great item to buy. Some people compare this highly featured automatic machine with the Jura Z8. It’s like a mini Z8 just under $3000.
So, if you prefer a sturdy coffee maker that can do both coffee and milk-based coffee drinks properly then consider taking a look at S8. This machine comes with a 4.3” touchscreen display for effortless operation. With this machine, you can make 15 different types of drinks without any hassle.
Moreover, you can save, copy, and also personalize the coffee for individuals. Like the other Jura coffee machines, its programmable feature will let you reach the level of your desired tasting coffee. If you like to have a large latte to go, this machine can do this too. Its separate coffee spout will let you make your favorite latte or cappuccino with a simple touch of a button.
Also, if you feel a bit annoying to operate the machine manually then you can use the Jura Smart Connect. This small little device will allow you to control the machine using your voice.
Now, who shouldn’t go for Jura S8? Indeed, this machine seems to be a bit more pricey compared to some other coffee makers. In return for this huge investment, you will get a solid machine that will be highly durable along with its top-notch functionality. It’s like, you are purchasing convenience by spending around $3000.
So, if you are not ready to invest such money then it would be better to try some lower-end machines of Jura like Jura D6 or Jura A1. These can produce coffee in a pretty good manner but you won’t find some cutting-edge features that you would get from the Jura S8.
Alternatives To Jura S8
Jura S8 is one of the most popular machines in the Jura Coffee Machine lineup. You will find lots of similarities in Jura E8 and Z8 with the Jura S8.
Jura Z8 is like an allrounder, it can make pretty much all types of coffee including espresso, coffee, latte, cappuccino, americano, and many more. It does come with a much higher price tag compared to the Jura S8 because of its higher capacity.
Besides, it features the PEP brewing system, high-performance aroma G3 grinder for making excellent coffee in no time. You can make 21 types of drinks effortlessly. Moreover, its large-capacity bean hopper and water reservoir will offer you a hassle-free brewing experience.
The Jura E8 coffee machine is also pretty similar to the Jura S8. You will find quite a few identical features between these two machines. Both of them come with a separate spout for making milk-based drinks.
One noticeable difference between these two coffee machines is the display. Jura E8 has a color TFT display, on the flip side, Jura S8 comes with a high resolution color display with touchscreen. It also includes intelligent water system, innovative g2 milk frother. Due to some extra facilities, Jura S8 is more pricey than the Jura E8.
What People Say!
Because of its cutting-edge features and superior convenience, this machine has got quite a few 5-star ratings from its satisfied customers. Folks are so happy because of the touchscreen display which helps them to operate the machine smoother than ever.
People also talk about its effortless cleaning condition. Lots of other manufacturers will suggest you remove the brew group in order to clean the machine while Jura machines don’t need that. When the machine needs to be cleaned, it will show you a notification for cleaning the machine and you just need to put cleaning tablets into the bypass doser and the machine will do the rest.
Buyers also like the save, copy, personalization feature for individuals. Moreover, some people mentioned that the temperature of their coffee is just accurate. You can make 15 different drinks with this machine as well. These are some of the core advantages of the Jura S8 and that is why most buyers used to choose this one over the Jura E8 or other models. Jura has a good customer service around the world including the united states.
What Is The Difference Between Jura E8 And S8?
Firstly, Jura E8 has a color TFT display with a button-based control panel, on the other hand, Jura S8 comes with a touchscreen-based control panel. This makes the machine more convenient than the Jura E8. Also, in Jura S8, you can make 15 types of drinks including Ristretto, Espresso, Coffee, Latte Macchiato, Flat White, Cappuccino, etc. On the flip side, E8 can make 12 different drinks in it.
Does Jura S8 come with a milk container?
No. You have to purchase either a countertop refrigerated milk container or a normal glass container in order to use the milk system for making Cappuccino, Latte Macchiato, or other milk-based drinks.
Can Jura S8 make tea?
Yes, it can. The Jura S8 comes with 2 on-demand hot water options, one is for normal tea, cocoa, hot chocolate, or any other meal and the other one is specifically for green tea. Head over to the touchscreen display and you will find both options comfortably.
Can Jura S8 use half and half?
Unfortunately, the simple answer is No. The instructions clearly say not to use any heavy cream however, sometimes it might be Ok but not all the time. Since it’s not the right way to make drinks in Jura we wouldn’t recommend you to do so.
How Often Should I Clean My Jura Milk System?
In short, if you love to drink milk-based coffee beverages every single day then you need to clean the milk system on a regular basis. It’s very easy to clean.
When was the JURA S8 launched?
The Jura S8 was launched in March 2018. Since then this super-automatic espresso machine has become one of the most popular espresso machines of Jura’s espresso machine lineup.
Can you use almond milk in Jura S8?
Yes, for sure. Don’t worry about losing the velvety texture just because you are using vegan milk. Jura coffee machines will deliver such results that you won’t be able to differentiate which one is regular milk and which one is almond.
What drinks does the Jura S8 make?
The Jura S8 coffee machine can make up to 15 different drinks including coffee, espresso, cappuccino, latte macchiato, macchiato, caffe latte, flat white, portion of milk, ristretto, 2 X ristretto, 2 X espresso, hot water, tea, portion of milk foam, and 2 X coffee.
This super automatic coffee machine is ideal for people who appreciate coffee that is the same good quality as in an expensive coffee shop without the long wait and inflated cost. And in the long run, you will save money compared to that expensive coffee shop. All told, our Jura S8 coffee machine review found that this espresso maker is well worth every penny.
A machine can deliver many cups of coffee but a good machine can deliver really good coffee for a long time. This is that kind of machine. We highly recommend to buy one, if you are willing to spend a good amount of money.
Enjoy Your Coffee!