The Redline MK1 can be perfect for you as it gives quality drinks yet it’s a simple coffee maker. MK1 has a strong price-to-value proposition. The machine serves 2-3 cups at a time. One distinct trait of the Redline MK1 coffee brewer is a simple machine without any fancy options like timing or programmability.
A smoother extraction of coffee as it has the pre-infusion that gives the coffee grounds a kick-start for whole flavor extraction and saturation. Convenience and ease in design, with one-touch operation. Its glass carafe is designed to evenly spread freshly brewed coffee. At the time of writing this Redline MK1 review, we were thoroughly impressed with how the manufacturer thoughtfully designed the coffee maker. It was evident that Redline prioritized attributes that impact the flavor and taste of coffee.
- Redline MK1 Appearance
- Redline MK1 Review: Key Features
- Product Specifications
- How To Use Redline MK1 Coffee Maker
- How To Clean Redline MK1 Coffee Maker
- For Whom Redline MK1 Coffee Brewer Is Perfect
- For Whom Redline MK1 Is Not Perfect
- What Are The Customers Saying…
- Alternative Options For you
- Bottom Line
Redline MK1 Appearance
Redline MK1 has two main parts. The first part is the body. It consists of a heating element and a transparent water tank. The second part has the brewing head and the glass carafe.
We loved Redline MK1’s simple, clean, yet elegant design. The machine is impressively easy to use with the one-touch operation. All you have to do is to press the button to turn it on/off the machine.
The brew chamber looks like it is crafted out of high-quality aluminum. The rest of the coffee machine is a kind of neatly looking plastic. Redline MK1 coffee brewer comes in one color option: black and silver mix. Because of its versatile yet stylish looks, this drip-style coffee machine should fit into different styles and spaces.
The machine not only feels light but it is actually lightweight. Given the elements with which Mk1 is made, the appliance weighs about 7 lbs. This unit is easy to move around or even lift, but 7 pounds could give challenges to some people.
Redline MK1 Review: Key Features
Redline MK1’s basket is big enough to hold enough coffee grounds to make 8 cups of coffee. As a rule of thumb, folks typically use 8 grams or 1.5 teaspoons of coffee grounds for 1 cup of coffee. Therefore, this coffee maker will allow up to 12 teaspoons of coffee grounds.
The basket does not provide its own manufactured filter. As is the case for most other drip-style coffee machines. Therefore, in order to make coffee using this Redline MK1, you need to apply paper filters. The MK1 machine uses #4 paper filters. This paper filter is purchasable separately too.
However, we really like the design of their brew basket. Unlike other drip-style coffee machines, the Redline MK1 coffee brewer offers easy loading and cleaning with a slide-out filter basket. You will be able to insert coffee grounds so easily, without making too much of a mess. Furthermore, the cleaning is super quick and fun!
Redline MK1 8-cup coffee brewer is a little bit smaller than any other drip coffee machine. The brewer makes 8 cups of coffee. Though it may not sound like a lot for a larger family, it is perfect for serving 3 to 4 people at once.
Unfortunately, the water tank is not detachable. It can hold about 8 cups of water or 1.3 liters. Just like with similarly priced coffee machines, its water reservoir comes with volume markings on its side. You will be able to see the numbers, which will show how much liquid to pour for a specific number of coffee cups. However, just like with other drip-style coffee machines, the numbers are white-colored on a transparent background. This can be quite challenging to see for some of you.
Redline MK1 coffee brewer comes with a glass carafe made out of high boron. Unlike common glass, boron glass-made carafes are defiant to thermal shocks. Similarly, when coffee is done and the carafe is set for washing, the temperature reduces significantly. A carafe is required to quickly change the temperature at all times.
The inclusion of boron guarantees higher durability of the glass. Inside the glass carafe, there is an insulated funnel. This allows an even distribution of coffee inside the carafe for consistent heat and flavor. However, the carafe appeared to be very thin. This may be worrisome as you can accidentally break it.
The Pre-Infusion Mode
Richer, stronger, and more complete coffee flavors with MK1’s pre-infusion. It lets coffee beans for more complete and fuller extraction. This “pre-brewing” takes about 30 seconds before the extraction begins. During this period, hot water drops all over the coffee beans to allow them a head-start on de-gassing.
Manual Mid-Brew Pause
Redline MK1 coffee brewer lets you manually pause the brewing to enjoy a cup of coffee faster. It also allows you to enjoy coffee faster and consequently allows a prolonged extraction time. How, you ask? You can use this option as hot water can build stronger flavors with the pro-long extraction time given. Warning though! You should be careful around it and not pause the brewing too often!
Smart Design For Convenience, Mess-Free, And Easy Coffee Prep
In our opinion, the Redline MK1 8-cup coffee brewer comes with 2 very intelligent solutions that made its coffee brewing simpler. First, though the tank is not detachable, it has in fact a wide-open lid. It allows you to pour water into it without spilling it all over your place. Second, you will appreciate the brew basket’s slide-out ability. In other words, you will be able to take the full brew basket out to re-fill it with coffee grounds. Thus avoiding spilling any coffee grounds all over your kitchen counter.
We are happy to tell you that in this Redline MK1 review that this machine takes what a quality drip coffee maker should take time to brew coffee. The precise brewing time relies on the volume of coffee you want to brew. In various tests, you will see that brewing 8 cups takes 6 minutes. It takes less time to brew fewer volumes.
Although the Redline MK1 coffee brewer is not allowing you to control the temperature, you will be happy to find that the maker brews the coffee at an almost perfect brewing temperature. The water can reach about 180°-190°F, which is slightly below their prime temperature of 195°F to 205°F.
- Weight – 7 lbs.
- BPA-Free – Yes
- Voltage – 120V
- Power – 1560W
- Capacity – 8 Cups/ 40 oz.
- Brand – Redline Coffee
- Color – Silver and Black
- Material – Glass, Aluminum
- Dimensions – 14 x 15 x 8 inches
- First Release Date – August 7, 2017
- Brew Temperature – 195° to 205° Fahrenheit
- Versions Available – Standard, and Summer 2018 Refresh
- Smart and no-fuss design
- Good Price-to-value ratio
- Stylish, versatile, and elegant design
- Easy and convenient one-touch operation
- A showerhead for coffee bean pre-infusion
- Great for single and family: brews up to 8 cups in one go
- Proper brewing temperatures ensure rich and tasty coffee flavors
- Thin glass carafe
- Non-removable water reservoir
- BPA-free plastic parts (some) come in touch with hot water
- No metal mesh filter and you have to buy paper filters separately
- Despite pre-infusion and some advanced functions, it lacks standard functions such as programmability, temperature control, and strength control
- Powerful heating element quickly brings water to optimum brewing temperatures
- Includes a “Pre-Infusion” mode to let the grinds bloom, allowing for maximum extraction
- A high boron glass carafe sits on top of a hot plate to keep the coffee warm throughout the day
- The water reservoir is designed to allow for easy pouring and measuring
- Comes with a “Parking Brake” – a simple lever that allows you to pause or fine-tune the brew
How To Use Redline MK1 Coffee Maker
How much coffee and how to brew it? We have already stated before that you should use 10-12 grams or two-level tablespoons of ground coffee per cup made (5-6 oz. per cup). Making coffee in it has three simple steps.
- First, pour water into the reservoir.
- Second, put down a #4 paper filter into the basket. Add a specific amount of coffee grounds. Set your carafe under it.
- And the third, switch the power button on and wait until brewing is finished.
Extra tip – If you have the time in hand, try pre-wetting your coffee filter with some near-hot water. This will cleanse the filter and help the coffee extraction become more even; providing a tastier cup.
What coffee roast brews best for the Redline MK1 coffee brewer? The Drip-style is fairly flexible and works well with all kinds of roasts.
How To Clean Redline MK1 Coffee Maker
The bean oils that cake up over time inside the coffee maker can harm the flavor of your coffee. To break it down, take water and some vinegar to dilute it with the water.
- Then pour it through as if you are brewing coffee
- Do not add ground coffee or a paper filter
- After that has passed through, run some passes of water through to rinse out the last bit of vinegar
- There are also coffee cleaners for the carafe alone. You can apply it to discard built-up oils and dried coffee residue to turn brand new. The same cleaners also work well with Pour-overs and French presses
How Easy Is It To Clean Out The Drip Coffee Maker?
- Mix equal parts of water and vinegar. Then start brewing
- Clean out the deep stains from your coffee pot with a soft sponge and some baking soda
- Wash and rinse your reusable filter; if you have one. In warm, soapy water wash your brew basket and the coffee pot after each use
For Whom Redline MK1 Coffee Brewer Is Perfect
From the multiple tests from the critics of the product for this Redline MK1 review, we gathered up the Redline MK1 8 cup coffee brewer is a compelling choice for a potential customer for these reasons:
- Rich and complete flavors thanks to its pre-infusion
- Need quick cups of coffee for a large family (brews 8 cups at a time)
- The affordable price range of this coffee maker is for those who are on a tight budget
- Stylish, modern, and elegant coffee maker for a wide range of kitchen spaces and setups
- Perfect coffee maker who is a regular drinker but wants the easiest way to brew coffee every day
- Ground coffee for usability and flexibility at the same time brews a perfectly-tasting cup of coffee
For Whom Redline MK1 Is Not Perfect
Just like with any other coffee maker reviews of ours, we remain direct and honest in this Redline MK1 coffee brewer review. We believe that there are some issues that make MK1 not a perfect choice:
- If you like a removable water reservoir
- If you love to brew different kinds of specialty drinks
- This coffee machine will not make you feel like a barista
- If you like a machine that uses capsules then this is not it
- The coffee maker does not offer flexibility in brewing as it has no temperature or strength control programmability
What Are The Customers Saying…
- One of the major downsides/complaints is the use of lightweight plastic which feels a little flimsy
- Critics loved the powerful 1560W heating element. It ensures the coffee remains genuinely hot. Not just lukewarm
- Most users admit that the Redline MK1 coffee brewer is a unique standout product. The coffee maker’s affordable price point, effective features, and functions add up to a quality coffee beverage maker
- A lot of the customers are surprised by this brand and its MK1 model and what it’s offering at a budget price. And that makes it an unorthodox contender on this list of the best coffee machines
- Critics and users alike expressed that, this isn’t a fancy machine by any means. It just has the one on/off button. But it does offer pre-infusion and one other feature, a lever at the bottom of its filter basket. It modulates the flow of the coffee into the glass carafe
Alternative Options For you
Oxo Brew 8 Cup Coffee Maker
Let’s begin with the most Oxo as it’s one the best alternatives out there for MK1.
- Build – Oxo has a Stainless steel carafe, so is durable. It’s going to keep your coffee warm for a prolonged period without any reheating. Some parts are made out of plastic to cut the price in check. But this isn’t bad at all. It makes the machine feels great, lightweight, and functions great. We admire the overall build quality, even though the look is preferential. Oxo has done a wonderful job at making things minimal and classy
- Brewing and Functions – Next thing is, the plate where the carafe resides can be inverted. So to make it suitable for setting up your cups too. The impressive thing here is, you can select between a single cup and the carafe. There are buttons for brewing 2 to 4 cups or a maximum of 5 to 8 cups. This is a simple yet so practical setup. It makes brewing a single cup of coffee a lot easier and more convenient
- Maintenance – For those of you who like to keep coffee makers maintained easily, the Oxo Brew 8 cup coffee machine is going to be your best buddy. There is a button for cleaning on this machine, and you know what it does. In addition to that, the showerhead and other parts can be detachable easily for a quick cleaning process. Speaking of the showerhead, it has a bold design. The multiple openings ensure that there is an even coffee distribution of perfectly heated (195° to 205° F also) water for better flavorsome extraction
- Pros – Affordable price tag, elegant design, easy to clean, and provide fast and quality brewed coffee
- Cons – Fewer fancy features overall
- Gold-standard coffee certified by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA)
- Single-serve capability with optional brew basket accessory included optimizes flavor
- Better Brew precision controls water temperature and brew cycles
- Rainmaker shower head evenly distributes water over the grounds
- Double-wall, vacuum-insulated thermal carafe with brew-through, pour-through carafe lid reduces heat loss, rather than reheating coffee
Why Choose The Redline Mk1 Coffee Maker Over Others?
It’s a relatively cheap, but easily functional machine that makes good coffee daily. It cleverly took and combined the best of the Technivorm Moccamaster and Bonavita 8-Cup model to make this MK1 drip-style coffee machine. It’s way less costly than Technivorm and slightly less costly compared to the Bonavita.
Who Is Redline Mk1 Coffee Maker Perfect For?
Those who love drip-style coffee, regular coffee drinkers who want no fuss, easy one-button coffee brewing machine, and families who need 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning quickly and at once.
Who Makes Redline Coffee Makers?
Designed by the team in Oakland, CA, and made in China.
Is A Thermal Carafe Better Than A Glass Carafe?
Glass carafes need to use the warming plate to keep coffee warm. This means if you need to keep coffee fresh-tasting for a longer period, a thermal carafe is a better idea. But if you desire piping hot coffee and can finish the whole carafe in half an hour, you should consider a glass carafe.
There are a lot of factors we love covered here on the Redline MK1 review, and we are happy to be able to share them. At its price point, we believe the Redline MK1 8 cup coffee brewer stands a very strong price-to-value argument. With its stylish and elegant exterior, the machine gave us the upscale drip coffeemakers vibe (i.e. Breville Precision Brewer, Moccamaster Cup-One, Ninja CE251, and OXO Brew).
Designed by the team in Oakland, CA, the Redline MK1 coffee brewer appears to prioritize functions that affect the quality of the coffee drink itself. We also appreciated all of the thoughts that went into making this customer-friendly extremely easy-to-use model.