If you’re a coffee lover, you know that a good grinder is crucial to making the perfect cup of coffee.
The first thing to understand is that there are two distinct types of grinders: blade and burr. Quality-wise it is almost exclusively a burr grinder. However, from a price perspective, blade grinders are always better.
The KitchenAid Burr Coffee Grinder is a fantastic choice for anybody searching for a high-quality grinder. This machine is perfect for grinding beans to make any type of coffee, thanks to its adjustable grind settings. Plus, with its durable construction, the grinder will last longer. That’s why this KitchenAid burr coffee grinder review is worth your time!
- KitchenAid KCG8433: Overview
- KitchenAid Burr Coffee Grinder Review: Key Features
- Technical Specifications
- How To Use KitchenAid Burr Grinder
- Caring And Cleaning of KCG8433
- Why It's A Good Choice
- Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy it?
- Customer Reviews
- Alternatives To KCG8433
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words
KitchenAid KCG8433: Overview
- 70 precise settings for the perfect grind, for any brewing method
- Automatic dosing for perfect espresso shots every time
- Built-in portafilter holder for hands-free grinding
- Anti-static technology helps reduce static and mess
- 10 oz top hopper is removable for easy bean switching and storage
KitchenAid is an American brand of kitchen appliances. It was founded in 1919 by Hobart Manufacturing Company, and it is now owned by Whirlpool Corporation. They produced stand mixers exclusively. They revolutionized by introducing the 1930s model “K” by designer Egmont Arens. In 1949, dishwashers were the second product line that got introduced. Now their product line array has kitchen gadgets, appliances, cookware, and bakeware.
The KitchenAid KCG8433 coffee grinder is renowned for its exceptionally consistent grind sizes, with 70 precise settings. You may modify the grind size to match various brew methods, from French Press to Espresso. A coarse grind is best for Cold Brews and French Press, while a fine/finer grind makes better Espressos.
Not to mention, it boasts other features like automatic Smart Dosing Technology, Anti-Static Technology, and a Built-In Adjustable Portafilter Holder. The compact design fits into most kitchen cabinets and is easy to use every day.
The grinder is available in four colors – Matte Black, Onyx Black, Empire Red, and Charcoal Grey. Among them, Matte Black (KCG8433BM) is the most popular.
- Less Messy
- 70 grind settings
- 12-oz bean capacity
- Easy-to-use machine
- Anti-static technology
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Automatic smart dosing technology
- Sleek design with detachable bean hopper
- Stainless steel burrs for durability and precision
- Low 450 RPM speed generates less friction and heat
- Not completely silent
- There are some claims of grinder jamming
- The grind quality in different settings can be inconsistent
KitchenAid Burr Coffee Grinder Review: Key Features
Burr Grinding And Settings
With its whopping 70 grind settings, you’re set for any kind of brewing method (from French press to espresso). Right underneath the hopper, you’ll see there are icons that reference brewing methods. Just to help you get started. French press (coarse), Percolator (Medium-coarse), Drip (Medium), and Espresso (Fine) are the general settings. Adjustments between these settings will let you get even more grind precision.
Although it’s worth mentioning that you’ll need to understand what grind setting these icons refer to. Because the grind setting you desire will not always match the brewing method you want to do. For example, applying the French Press grind setting, which is a coarse grind, will also be used for many other methods, namely Cold Brew. Thus, it tops our KitchenAid coffee grinder review key feature list.
Smart And Perfect Dosing
When it comes to dosing, this burr grinder does it automatically. Using its LCD display, you can select the number of shots (for espresso) or cups that will get you the right dose. The automatic smart Dosing Technology will allow you to choose the cups or shots you desire. Its grind time is adjustable accordingly, regardless of brew method or grind size.
Built-In Adjustable Portafilter Holder
If you’re grinding for espresso, the KCG8433BM comes with a built-in portafilter holder. This allows for hands-free grinding. Works both for a 54mm or 58mm portafilter size. There’s also a built-in adjustable Portafilter Holder. So you can grind directly into 54-mm or 58-mm portafilters. Magically perfect setup for your espresso making.
KitchenAid coffee grinder review’s one of the underrated points. Burr grinders are naturally loud. Some more than others. They all make quite a bit of noise, that’s just the way it’s. Until you meet this KitchenAid KCG8433 model. It might be the quietest burr grinder you will ever see. Of course, it’s not what you would by definition call quiet. But it’s significantly quieter than most of its competitors. Not sure why how they have achieved it. It can be speculated that KitchenAid KCG8433 burr grinds at a low RPM. No, it doesn’t mean that it grinds slowly. Lower RPM burrs mean the beans are exposed to less heat. Any excess heat can defect flavors from the beans prematurely.
Let’s ask ourselves a question – if we have owned a burr grinder, what is the most annoying thing about it? I bet most of you thought of the static cling and the mess it brings. So many burr grinders claim to have no static. But fails to deliver on that promise anyway. It is a difficult task to find a burr grinder with no static cling. Frankly, at this price point, you will not have many options. The KitchenAid KCG8433 is one of them.
This burr grinder really has no static cling. It won’t make any mess at all when you decide to make a cup of coffee every single time.
Ease Of Use
KitchenAid KCG8433 has an LCD display. So you will be able to see your selected grind size as well as the number of cups/shots and grind time. The grind size is selected by a rotating grind size knob. It’s located under the bean hopper. The amount of cups/shots knob is on the right. Once you have selected desired settings you just have to press the “Start/Stop” button. Voila! It starts to grind.
If it grinds too little or too much (which might happen depending on the coffee beans you will be using) you can adjust the grind time. It has an adjustment knob located between buttons (“Program” and ”Start/Stop”) and the ground container. KitchenAid KCG8433 has programming functionality. It allows you to save grind settings. Settings based on grinding time. Once you have selected desired settings (size, cups/shots, and time), just press the “Program” button. Now the burr grinder will automatically calibrate grind time based on cups/shots you select. If you need to restore back to the factory setting, press and hold the “Program” button for 3 seconds.
- Warranty of 1-year limited
- Voltage: 120 V. Frequency: 60 Hz. Power 150 W
- Package weight 9 lbs. Net item weight 6 lbs. A type burr grinder. Variants are matte black, onyx black, charcoal grey, and empire red
- Included accessories are Burr Grinder, Portafilter Holder, Grounds Tray, Bottom Hopper, Top Hopper, and Cleaning Brush
- Grind Settings 70. 1¼-cup grind chamber capacity. The removable top hopper has 12 oz. (340 gm) of capacity. Machine height is 15 inches (38.1 cm) and depth is 5 inches (12.7 cm). Package dimensions (inches) 15.3 x 14.2 x 7.3
How To Use KitchenAid Burr Grinder
Once you get your hands on this machine it’s only logical to understand what and how to operate with it. Even if you’re thinking about buying one, it’s only fair to tell you how simple it is to use. Hence, our KitchenAid burr grinder review explains some key aspects that you should know beforehand.
Before The First Use
- First, clean all the separate and removable parts and accessories. (See “Care and Cleaning” section for more). Place the machine on a dry, flat, level surface. Example: a countertop or a table
- Place the Top hopper onto the machine. Fit it in properly with the ‘Lock icon’ facing front. Rotate the hopper until it clicks into place. Add whole coffee beans to it. Place and close with the top hopper lid onto the top hopper
- For grinding into the bottom hopper just open the rubber stopper. Then slide the bottom hopper into the position
- If you want to grind into a Portafilter you need to remove the grounds catcher tray first. Then remove the Portafilter holder from its default storage location. Now, insert the Portafilter holder into the Portafilter holder guide. Replace the grounds catcher tray
- When you will be grinding into the Portafilter use a standard residential Portafilter (54 mm). Insert it along with the top guides of the machine’s Portafilter holder. If you are using a commercial Portafilter (58 mm) then insert it into the middle guides of your Portafilter holder
Grind Settings And Adjustments
- Select Grind Size – Please refer to the brew method icons on this machine. Rotate the grind size knob to select a size and within the brew method range. The selected grind size will be displayed on the LCD display. As grind size number increment means the grind size is decreasing (1 means Coarse and 70 means fine)
- Select Coffee Dose – Rotate the Dose selection knob, and select the number of shots or cups. Follow the “Coffee Grind Setting Chart” below
- Start Grinding – Press the Start/Stop button to begin. The grinder will stop automatically when the timer reaches zero
- Pause During Grinding – Just press the Start/Stop button. To resume grinding again press Start/Stop. This grinder can stay paused for up to 15 seconds. After that, the cycle will cancel fully and it will show the current selection on the screen
- Cancel The Grinding Cycle – Press and hold the Start/Stop button for 3 seconds and you’re done
- Alter Coffee Amount For A Dose – If you want, for a particular selected dose, you can rotate the time adjustment knob to modify the desired amount of coffee. Increase the grinding time to inflate the coffee ground amount. Or decrease the time to reduce the coffee ground amount
- Save Dose Setting – Once you have selected a desired dose time, press the Program button. It saves the grind time. Once you do a new grind time for a dose within that saved brew method, the machine will automatically adjust the grind time (up or down) for all other doses within that method accordingly
- If the grind size knob is hard for you to rotate then run the machine while you adjust the size. It removes any grounds caught between the burrs
- This grinder is equipped with programming functionality. It allows you to save customized doses (based on grinding time) for each different brew method
- To restore all factory dosage settings just press and hold (for 3 seconds) the Program button
Coffee Grind Setting Chart
|French Press||Percolation (Prec.)||Drip Coffee||Espresso|
|Grind Size||Coarse||Medium Coarse||Medium||Fine|
|Grind Size Range||1-24||25-35||36-54||55-70|
|Dose Selection||1-12 cups||1-12 cups||1-12 cups||1-2 shots|
|Use Setting with||Bottom hopper||Bottom hopper||Bottom hopper||Portafilter holder|
Caring And Cleaning of KCG8433
Cleaning The Burrs
- Twist and lift up the top hopper to remove it. Twist the bottom lock. Empty out the top hopper into a different container
- Replace the empty top hopper and its lid. Press Start/Stop to run the grinder (until empty). Unplug the burr grinder then
- Remove the top hopper. Find the wire handle on the upper burr. To remove the upper burr rotate and lift the handle
- Clean the upper burr with the given cleaning brush. Clean the Lower burr either with a brush or a vacuum cleaner. It removes coffee residue
- Align the upper burr back in its place. Twist clockwise to fit securely. Replace the top hopper and the lid also
- To avoid any damage, never wash or immerse the main body, burrs, or power cord in water. Do not place them in a dishwasher also
- The top hopper (with lid), bottom hopper (with lid), grounds catcher tray, and Portafilter holder can be cleaned with soapy warm water. Then rinse them with clean water. Dry with a clean soft cloth
- Wipe clean the main body. Use a soft, damp cloth. Dry the machine thoroughly
We must inform you in our KitchenAid burr grinder review, please read and follow the original user manual for any troubleshooting issues (they have a dedicated section for it).
Why It’s A Good Choice
After reviewing many other burr grinders, this KitchenAid coffee grinder appealed to us the most. And it did not disappoint on many crucial fronts.
70 different grind settings with all important brew methods elevated this grinder to a whole new level. It’s a fun way to learn your way into the craft of grinding with this setup. It makes your efforts worthwhile behind every perfect cup whether be it in a pour-over, French press, or Aero Press.
An incredible feat for this machine is how not so loud it is. It generates a nice low hum when it grinds. Very soothing to the ear and positively adds to the experience of coffee brewing from start to finish.
Also, they did very well in striking the right balance between design and functionality. It is one of the easy to fit in your kitchen and adds to the aesthetics.
This grinder can compete with $400-$700 so-called “barista” recommended models. Even grind particles for medium grind levels. Adjustments for various grind sizes and amounts are consistent. Amazingly efficient and quiet!
Easy to save, modify, or even restore back to default settings with this machine. Most trustworthy anti-static machine. Minimal grounds retention and less wastage.
Is there any reason why I shouldn’t buy it?
Sadly, the coarse grind performance sometimes can be poor. The grind turns uneven for the French press. The brew can come out with fine levels (sludge). Yes, sludge is a normal part of a French press. But still, it’s a bit disappointing when other similarly expensive grinders lack this. Setting 1 (coarsest) can make coffee on the bitter side as well.
The large dial that adjusts the grind size feels great. The serving size control wheel looks and feels flimsy, cheap, and rough while turning.
The Turkish coffee grind setting needs a lot of work on this machine.
To be honest, this is a great-looking, quality grinder. It will do fine for 90% of its users. The rest 10% that require a precise grinder should look somewhere else.
Customers and critics were so impressed with the grinders’ very well-made construction. Also, its grind consistency, durability, and zero static! Users were more excited about grinding and brewing coffee in the morning after having this machine.
Customers who have already used using burr grinder from KitchenAid, are also happy to see this machine manufactured. If grinds all the beans evenly. And wastage is the least. The slender aesthetic also is an eye-catcher in a kitchen.
The critics loved the attention to detail such as instructions were right on. And no one had any trouble setting up the grinder. The grinder with 450 rpm was so quiet that you can hear a pin drop. This low-rpm grinding does not harm the beans and the smell of the coffee will fill your kitchen.
Overwhelming KCG8433BM reviews, both by critics and customers alike loved the programmable feature. So all one has to do in the morning is hit the grind button. Critics found no major flaws in this machine and highly recommend this grinder. It grinds the perfect amount of coffee and based on the setting.
New users are so amazed at how much quieter and static-free than many other grinders. The anti-static technology works 100% and makes it so easy to clean. No wastage of your expensive coffee and not a lot of sediment. You need some tweaking to get the grind setting just right to match your tastes.
Alternatives To KCG8433
The KitchenAid KCG0702 burr grinder is intended to provide better grind precision and lower grinding temperatures. It features durable stainless steel cutting burrs, a 7 oz. glass bean hopper, and a sleek, streamlined design. The included burr grinder, handheld scoop, and burr cleaning brush make it easy to use and maintain.
Some of the pros are it’s easy to assemble and use, minimizes static build-up with the usage of glass, is aesthetically stunning, quiet, stable to use, and grinds well in different settings.
Some of the cons of the KitchenAid customer service over this product is reportedly not great, the glass jug is fragile and worrisome to take care of, and the cleaning is a hard task.
Much like KCG8433, this model is also a marriage between being a good machine and an affordable price range. This makes it a fairly safe bet. There is no glaring weakness with this grinder, nor have any been brought to attention. It is not a cheap grinder though. But it’s perfect for what you pay for and it looks stunning.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is A Kitchenaid Coffee Grinder Good For Espresso?
Yes. You can be able to pull a perfect shot of espresso with the right level of grind on a lighter roast. And the KitchenAid burr grinder can definitely let you have that consistently for you.
Does The Kitchenaid Stand Mixer Have A Coffee Grinder Attachment?
KitchenAid stand mixer attachments can do everything. From peeling an apple to sifting flour, they can grind meat, wheat also. But they can’t grind any coffee. Because they make standalone coffee bean grinders.
Is The Kitchenaid Coffee Grinder Dishwasher Safe?
Not all of their models are equally dishwasher safe. For example, this KCG8433BM model is not dishwasher safe. But some other models will be partially or fully dishwasher safe.
Where Are Baratza Coffee Grinders Made?
Baratza designs its grinders in Seattle. Then they got a built-in factory situated in Taiwan. The precision burrs come from Europe. Baratza sells and delivers its products worldwide.
Blade Or Burr Grinders For Coffee Grounds?
Most coffee connoisseurs will tell you that a burr grinder is way superior to a blade grinder when it comes to grinding flavor and size. A Burr grinder generally costs more than a blade grinder. Burr mills are widely known for their quality, lifespan, consistency, and overall uniformity.
The KCG8433BM is designed to pair perfectly with the KitchenAid Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine which is sold separately. But performs excellently for other brew methods, too. The ultimate takeaway from this KitchenAid Burr Coffee Grinder review is that it checks all the right boxes.
This machine is a winner for the money’s worth. If your utmost concern is to purchase a reasonably precise and tidy grinder, rather than looking at other options in this price range we hope our KitchenAid KCG8433BM Burr Grinder review persuades you to go for one.