Philips has been an ever-present brand in the world of consumer appliances and is viewed as a standard-bearer of quality. If you are demanding both durability and quality espresso machine, consider this – the Philips 3200 Automatic Espresso Machine. It’s an excellent example of what Philips can offer coffee lovers around the world.
The Philips 3200 fully automatic espresso machine comes with a range of different functions and a milk frother which let’s admit makes life way easier. Not impressed yet? Let’s take you through our Philips 3200 LatteGo review to change that for the better.
- Philips 3200 LatteGo Review: Key Features
- Technical Specifications of Philips 3200 Series Espresso Machine
- The Pros And Cons
- Let’s Clear Our Heads – Fully Automatic Vs. Semi-Automatic Machine
- How To Use Philips 3200
- Cleaning And Maintenance
- Why You Should Buy Philips 3200 LatteGo?
- Why You Shouldn’t Buy It?
- What Are Customers And Critics Saying
- Comparing With The Alternatives
Philips 3200 LatteGo Review: Key Features
- Makes Espresso, Cappuccino, Coffee, Latte Macchiato, Americano, And Hot Water
- Intuitive Touch Display
- 12-Step Grinder Adjustment
- 20,000 Cups Of Finest Coffee With Durable Ceramic Grinders
- Keep Your Beans Fresh For Longer Thanks To The Aroma Seal
- Dishwasher Safe Parts For Your Convenience
5 Aromatic Coffee Options
You cannot miss your favorite drinks with it. From espresso to a coffee or a milk-based recipe, this Philips espresso machine will offer a perfect cup in no time and with no hassle. The coffee options are –
- Black coffee
- Latte macchiato
Also, you can have how water for various things like tea, hot chocolate, etc.
Philips 3200 Series Fully Automatic Espresso Machine with LatteGo System
Divided into 2 parts. No tube system. Makes a silky-smooth layer of froth. The LatteGo blends air and milk at high speed inside its round frothing chamber. Then adds a creamy, splash-free layer of froth to the cup at the right temperature. Can be cleaned in 15 seconds in the dishwasher or under the tap.
Intuitive Touch Display And My Coffee Choice
The touch display lets you select your desired coffee. There are six options. 5 coffees (Espresso, Coffee, Americano, Cappuccino, Latte macchiato) and hot water. The touch control is very easy to operate. You just have to select your coffee and press the button. There are also buttons for cleaning, aqua cleaning, and others.
Adjust the quantity and brew strength of the beverage with their “My Coffee Choice” menu. Select from 3 different settings to fit your preferences. The machine will remember your preferences and you can have your favorite just in one touch.
Large Water Tank And Adjustable Spout
Another one of its impressive features. The large water tank holds 1.8 L of water. A filter can also be installed into it to cut down on the requirement for descaling or avoiding bad-tasting water. The drink spout on the machine can be also adjustable to fit various sizes of cups.
The Aquaclean water filter guarantees the best quality clear and purified water for your fully automatic coffee machine. By changing the filter (at the machine’s request), avoid descaling the machine for up to 5000 cups. Once AquaClean gets installed in the coffee machine, the descaling notification will be deactivated automatically.
Easy To Clean Up
With just a handful of units, it’s extremely easy to keep clean (explained in detail later in this Philips 3200 review). The water tray and grounds bin simply slide out. They can be quickly rinsed. Even safe for the dishwasher too. You only need to empty it after around 12 drinks. The machine does not need descaling until you brew up to 5,000 cups of coffee. The machine also alerts you when it’s time. It also has a removable brew group. Accessible via a door in the back of the water reservoir. Philips recommends cleaning the brew heads weekly.
100% Ceramic Grinders & 12-Step Grinder Adjustment
The grinders are 100% pure ceramic. Hard and extremely precise. So you can enjoy fresh and aromatic coffee, at 20,000 cups at least.
The durable ceramic flat burr grinder is adjustable in 12 steps. So grinding your whole beans from ultra-fine powder to coarse is all possible.
The aroma seal keeps the coffee beans fresh for a long time. It also preserves the aroma and reduces the grinder noise.
Technical Specifications of Philips 3200 Series Espresso Machine
As already mentioned, the Philips 3200 is a super-automatic machine. The brew group is detachable. Stainless steel casing. Automatic frothing system. Weighs 16 pounds. Machine dimensions – 9.7 x 14.6 x 17 inches.
Philips 3200 offers a frontal display with touch buttons. It can store one user profile. 3 separate aroma strength and temperature settings. Adjustable 12 grinder modes. Milk/foam temperature is non-customizable. A 2-cup function is available but not for milky coffee beverages.
The water filter has a filter. The reservoir capacity is 61 oz. It has a coffee grounds tray. No milk jug. The maximum discharge vertical is 6 inches.
The grinder is ceramic-made. 5 grinding levels. Its single bean container holds 0.55 lbs.
The Pros And Cons
- A compact coffee maker
- Build quality is top class
- Classic-styled milk frother
- 3 different coffee aroma modes
- 3 different drink temperature settings
- Makes good-quality espresso and milk froth
- AquaClean filter works great against impurities
- Operations are highly intuitive with simple touchscreen buttons
- 4 different preprogrammed coffee recipes and 1 hot water option
- Very dense milk froth maker
- Generally, the operation is noisy
Let’s Clear Our Heads – Fully Automatic Vs. Semi-Automatic Machine
There is a crucial difference between these 2 kinds of espresso makers. A fully automatic also known as a “super-automatic” machine focuses more on user convenience. So they usually offer inbuilt recipes and easy programs. Users have to pick the recipe or the program of their preference. The machine will do the rest. Ideal for both an amateur and a veteran.
A semi-automatic, on the other hand, is a trusty mate of a barista. It allows recipes too but you have more control from start to finish. Such as volumetric dosages, temperature, and pressure controls. A semi-automatic gives you more freedom over your cup of coffee.
How To Use Philips 3200
Before First Use
Begin your Philips 3200 LatteGo Super-Automatic espresso machine’s setup after you switched on the machine. Some water may get dispensed from the coffee spout or hot water spout. It is normal, do not worry. Next, activate the water filter. Check and set up the water hardness. Assemble LatteGo milk frother or classic milk frother for specific types only.
Brewing Drinks – General Steps
- Fill the water reservoir with tap water. Then fill the bean hopper with fresh coffee beans
- Press the on/off button and switch on the coffee machine. The machine begins heating up and automatically performs the rinsing cycle. During this heating up, the lights in the drinks icons get lit up and one by one go out slowly. When all the lights in the drink icons continuously light up, the machine is ready for brewing
- Now, put a cup under the dispensing spout. Slide the dispensing spout (up or down) to adjust its height. Only do this if the size of your glass or cup requires that fitting
Brewing Drinks – Personalizing Drinks
The Philips 3200 to your own preference allows you to adjust the settings of a drink. After choosing a drink you can:
- Adjust the strength of the aroma. Tap the aroma strength icon. There are 3 strengths available. The lowest is labeled as ‘mildest’ and the highest is labeled as ‘strongest’
- Adjust the drinking quantity. Tapping the drink quantity button or the milk quantity button. You’ll get 3 quantities – low, medium, and high. Also, adjust the temperature to your own liking
Brewing Drinks – Brewing Coffee With Beans
To brew the coffee, tap the drink icon of your preference. The quantity and aroma strength lights assist you by showing the previously selected setting. You can now customize the coffee drink to your preferred taste (see our ‘Personalizing drinks’ section above).
- Press the start/stop now. The light of the drink icon will flash while the coffee is being dispensed. For specific types only drink such as brewing an Americano, the machine will first dispense the espresso and then the water as the Americano is the combination of espresso and water
- To halt dispensing the coffee before the machine is done, again press the start/stop button. To prepare 2 coffees at the same time, just tap twice the drink icon. The 2x light will glow up
Brewing Drinks – Coffee With Pre-Ground Coffee
- You can also use pre-ground coffee instead of fresh beans. If you like a different style of coffee variation or a decaffeinated drink
- Press the on/off button. So that the machine is switched on. Wait until it is set to use
- Open up the lid of the pre-ground coffee chamber. Pour 1 leveled scoop of pre-grounded coffee into the chamber. Now close the lid
- Put a cup underneath the dispensing spout. Now pick a drink to make
- Select and press the aroma strength icon for 3 seconds. As a result, the pre-ground coffee light will be lit and the start light will begin pulsing
- Now touch the start/stop button
- To halt dispensing the drink before the machine is completely finished, press again the start/stop button
- You can only brew one coffee at once in this mode
- The pre-ground coffee mode setting is not savable. So, each time you use pre-ground coffee, you have to follow these steps. Note by selecting this mode, you cannot choose a different aroma strength
Cleaning And Maintenance
Activation Of The Aquaclean Water Filter
One of the crucial units for the machine. Hence, we’re explaining in our Philips 3200 review. The machine cannot automatically detect if a filter has been set in the water reservoir. Therefore, you have to activate each new Aquaclean filter you will install with the AquaClean icon. This process needs 5 minutes.
Aquaclean Light And Icon
The machine is equipped with a light for the AquaClean water filter. It indicates the status of the filter. Below we explain what actions are needed when the light is on or flashing.
- For the 1st time use, the AquaClean light begins flashing orange color. Indicating you can begin using the water filter. If you do not activate the AquaClean filter, the light will go off automatically after a bit
- After the installation and activation of the filter with the AquaClean icon, the icon light will turn blue to signal that the water filter is active
- When the filter needs to be replaced, the AquaClean icon light will start flashing orange again. This simply implies that you need to replace the filter with a brand-new one
- When the orange AquaClean light is gone, you will still be able to activate the AquaClean filter. But you will have to descale your machine first
Your Philips 3200 series espresso machine LatteGo needs to be fully limescale-free before you begin using the AquaClean water filter.
Activating The Aquaclean Water Filter
Before you activate the AquaClean water filter, you must prepare it by soaking it in the water as described below. If you don’t follow this set of instructions, air will be drawn into the machine which will make it noisy and will degrade the coffee quality.
- Shake up the filter for 5 seconds to get started
- Inside a jug immerse the filter upside down with cold water. Shake/press it a bit. Wait until all of the air bubbles come out
- The filter is now primed for use. You can insert it into the water reservoir
- Insert the filter vertically onto the filter port inside the water tank. Make sure to press it down to the lowest possible point
- Fill up the water reservoir with fresh water and re-install it in the machine
- After attaching the tank remove the LatteGo. Place a bowl under the milk frother/hot water spout
- Press AquaClean icon for 3 seconds. The start light will be pulsing. Now press the start/stop to begin the activation
- Hot water will be dispensed for 3 minutes from the spout/milk frother
- When the activation phase completes, the blue light will be on to confirm that the water filter has been activated accurately
Replace each water filter after every 3 months. Even if the machine does not remind/alarm you of it. Remember when the orange light flashes, just take out the old AquaClean filter. Install a new filter. Then activate it as we’ve described above.
One of the most integral parts of maintenance for an espresso machine. So, we feel obliged to describe the descaling steps in the Philips 3200 review. Must use the Philips descaler only for the 3200s’ descaling. Do not use hydrochloric or sulfuric or sulfamic or acetic acid-based (vinegar) descaler. The descaling needs 30 minutes to get done.
Not applying the descaler or failing to descale the machine will revoke your warranty.
- When the Clean light begins flashing slowly, you have to do the descaling of your machine
- Remove the LatteGo or milk frother (if attached)
- Detach the coffee grounds container and the drip tray. Empty them and reinstall them back
- Remove the water reservoir and empty it out. Now also remove the water filter
- Pour the full bottle of Philips Descaler into the water reservoir. Now fill it with water exactly to the Calc / Clean indication mark. Finally, place it back into your coffee machine
- Place a large bowl/container (at least 1.5L) beneath the water spout and the coffee dispensing spout
- Press the Calc / Clean icon (for 3 seconds). Then press the start/stop
The 1st part of the descaling starts. It lasts for approx. 30 minutes. It has a descaling cycle and then a rinsing cycle. During the descaling cycle, the Calc/Clean light keeps flashing to indicate that the phase is in motion.
- Now, simply let your machine dispense the descaling solution. Wait until the display alerts you that the water reservoir is empty
- Check and empty the tank (just for good measure). Rinse it and then refill the tank with clean fresh water up to the Calc / Clean mark
- Empty out your dispense bowl/container. Put it back under the spout and the water spout. Press the start/stop again
The 2nd phase of the descaling begins the rinsing phase. It lasts for 3 minutes. During this period the lights on the control panel will go on and off as an indication of the rinsing phase.
- Wait until the dispensing of the water ends. As the machine stops dispensing water the descaling procedure is complete
- The machine will once again heat up. Notice when the lights in the drink icons continuously light up, your machine is set for usage again
Install and activate a new AquaClean filter in the water reservoir. (Follow the Activating the Aquaclean Water Filter section above). When the descaling is completed, the AquaClean light will flash for a while if it needs a new AquaClean filter.
Note: Using the AquaClean water filter reduces the chance of high-frequency descaling (which is a good thing)!
- No Descaling Guaranteed For Up To 5000 Cups
- Easy Cleaning Thanks To Fully Removable Brewing Group
- Naturally Removes Calcium Because Of Ion-Exchange Technology
- Your Machine Will Not Due To The Micro-Porous Filter
Why You Should Buy Philips 3200 LatteGo?
The Philips 3200 is made as a full-automatic machine. Meaning, it is built for convenience – a straightforward summarization of any Philips LatteGo 3200 review out there and we are no different. Simply put, if you don’t fancy spending too much time making your coffee, this machine is one of the best options for you. It is also an incredibly popular choice among folks who like top-notch coffee in between their hectic schedules.
If you are always in a rush yet want a quick cup of coffee but with various options to keep you afresh throughout the day, this is the machine that has the perfect offerings for you. The ceramic grinder grinds your fresh beans. The 5 coffee options with temperature and strength control as well as a good milk frother will cover your daily cravings.
Also if you are a daily coffee drinker at night after your dinner, all you need is to press a button, grab your favorite cup, and tuck into your bed and enjoy. Everything is functional with its touch menu. There is no sophistication associated with the options. Select, wait, and drink.
Why You Shouldn’t Buy It?
If you like to try and test out various temperatures, pressures, and volume settings then Philips 3200 may not be the right option for you.
If you are a seasoned coffee maker who comprehends different settings at work in a coffee machine to produce perfect aroma and flavor, you should go for a higher-grade fully automatic machine.
Also, Philips 3200 is not an ideal option for an office setting. Because of as it needs a lot of refills per day and is a bit noisy.
What Are Customers And Critics Saying
Philips has been a symbol of quality for ages. It has been manufacturing espresso machines with the utmost care, upgraded technology, and phenomenal service. The overall reviews of the users and critics agreed on it was an ideal espresso machine. The majority has appraised the quality of coffee.
The main complaint was that it receives 10 to 15 minutes to shut off. It’s a major nuisance for almost all. Then, it doesn’t support all the mug sizes. No auto shut-off timer in this espresso machine. Users and critics have appealed to improve on these issues. Customers were impressed with how easy it is to handle and clean the espresso machine. A great full automatic machine with a reasonable price. Most viewed this as a flagship model for Philips.
Comparing With The Alternatives
Philips 3200 vS. Philips 2200
Perfect for aroma and delicious tasting coffee. It brews your coffee at the perfect temperature, thanks to its intelligent brewing system. The classic milk frother always lets you brew a silky smooth cappuccino or latte macchiato with a breeze.
Able to make 20,000 cups of the finest coffee with its durable ceramic-made grinders. It keeps beans fresh longer with an aroma seal. Make 5,000 cups without descaling. Brew group for easy cleaning. Automatic descaling is possible. Dishwasher-safe parts to maximize convenience.
Beverages: espresso, hot water, coffee. Touch screen display. 3 aroma strengths, 12 grinder modes, and 3 temperature options. The machine is noisy while grinding. Limited coffee options and plastic-made bodies.
Philips 3200 VS. De’Longhi Magnifica ESAM 3300
Considering its price, it is a compact and solidly-built machine. Cleaning is quite simple. Easy to detach the brewing unit. Fully adjustable for the coffee grounds and water quantities you want to use. The grinder has 14 different modes. However, sometimes using the finest grind setting, you may find the pump too weak. Its high-quality overall design comes with minimum failure rates.
Though not giving a frontal digital display is a drawback, it leads to prolonged durability. 60 ounces detachable water tank. Stainless steel-made double removable boilers. Pulls awesome shots every time. A noisy grinder. Not compatible with different water filters. Also, it can’t steam and brew together.
Does The Philips 3200 Make Iced Coffee?
Yes. The Philips 3200 espresso machine with LatteGo, allows you to prepare delicious iced coffee from fresh coffee beans.
Where Do You Put The Water In A Philips Coffee Maker?
Facing the machine from the front to your right-hand side grab the sidewall of the machine. Along the edge, you will be able to grip the wall. Once you find the grip pull it towards you and you’ll the water reservoir sliding out. It is part of the right wall of the machine. Now test water hardness and install and activate the AcuqaClean filter. Once you complete these steps, you can put water into it.
Does This Come With A Aquaclean Water Filter?
Yes. Only one Aquaclean water filter will arrive with your purchase.
Is Lattego Really A New Method Of Frothing?
No, it’s not. All milk frothing systems have tubes. LatteGo is a tubeless system. But it uses the same spray bottle technique.
Do You Froth Milk For An Iced Macchiato?
No, you do not need to. Standard macchiato requires steamed milk and iced macchiato needs cold over ice milk.
How To Adjust Heat Settings On Philips 3200 Espresso Maker?
Repeatedly tap the coffee temperature icon to adjust the temperature. If your 3200 series does not have any temperature icon then follow these steps: First, Switch off your machine. Then, Press and hold the coffee quantity icon until it lights up. After that, Tap once, twice, or thrice to respectively select normal, high, or max. Lastly, Press the start/stop button and now switch on (on/off button) the machine again.
The Philips 3200 fully automatic coffee machine is one of the finest kitchen appliances you can find on the market. Simple to use and it does not make you go through any hassle to clean it. Also comes with an automatic shutoff function. The machine is lightweight and you can easily move it from one place to another if necessary.
The functions are easy to comprehend and the machine offers you a full bean-to-cup experience with a push of a button. We conclude hoping this Philips LatteGo 3200 review will guide you towards having a greater experience in the world of fully or semi-automatic coffee machines.