An affogato is an Italian dessert colloquially known as “Café Affogato” as its key ingredient is coffee. Although the Italians enjoy it at the end of a meal, in North America it’s a popular all-day beverage thanks to Starbucks. An Affogato is a mixture of hot espresso poured over an ice-cold Frappuccino. It always makes beautiful pockets of rich coffee as it gets mixed with ice cream.
The Recipe Specifications
- Time required: 15 minutes
- Drink size: 12–16 oz. (1 serving)
- Topping(s): dark chocolate and chopped hazelnuts.
- Optional garnishes: nuts, chocolate curls.
- Espresso maker
- A desert glass
- Good-quality gelato (or vanilla ice cream)
- Freshly brewed hot espresso (coffee or decaf is suitable)
- Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut (optional)
Chill your dessert glass or mug that you’ll serve it in. You have to make sure that the gelato is very cold
Start by brewing the espresso
Meanwhile, add 2 scoops of gelato to the chilled glass
Once done brewing, let it chill down to room temperature. The hot coffee will melt the ice cream prematurely
Once cooled, pour the espresso over the ice cream and add some shaved dark chocolates and/or hazelnuts before serving!
Note: you can serve the espresso on the side as well, instead of pouring it on the ice cream.