An affogato is an Italian dessert colloquially known as “Café Affogato” as its key ingredient is coffee. Although the Italians enjoy it at the end of a meal, in North America it’s a popular all-day beverage thanks to Starbucks. An Affogato is a mixture of hot espresso poured over an ice-cold Frappuccino. It always makes beautiful pockets of rich coffee as it gets mixed with ice cream.
The Recipe Specifications
- Time required: 15 minutes
- Drink size: 12–16 oz. (1 serving)
- Topping(s): dark chocolate and chopped hazelnuts.
- Optional garnishes: nuts, chocolate curls.
Equipment And Ingredients
- Good-quality gelato (or vanilla ice cream)
- Freshly brewed hot espresso (coffee or decaf is suitable)
- Step-1: Chill your dessert glass or mug that you’ll serve it in.
- Step-2: You have to make sure that the gelato is very cold.
- Step-3: Start by brewing the espresso.
- Step-4: Meanwhile, add 2 scoops of gelato to the chilled glass.
- Step-5: Once done brewing, let it chill down to room temperature. The hot coffee will melt the ice cream prematurely.
- Step-6: Once cooled, pour the espresso over the ice cream and add some shaved dark chocolates and/or hazelnuts before serving.
Note: you can serve the espresso on the side as well, instead of pouring it on the ice cream.