OXO believes crafting coffee is a ritual. The ritual stands for savoring and preparing coffee easily while not sacrificing any quality. That’s why we are excited to bring you the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder review. We will talk about this intuitive, simple design, all the while delivering consistent quality grinds no matter what mode you picked to brew with.
A genuine perfect brew begins with grounded coffee. This OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder With Integrated Scale review will discuss how the grinder intelligently and precisely measures coffee with the built-in scale as you grind. It works on 3 base grinding settings.
The Grinder’s DC motor has a high torque but low-speed functionality. Whether you like mild or strong, drip or espresso, pour-over, or French Press, the OXO Conical Burr Coffee Grinder will help you get the perfect grounds you need to make your perfect cup of Joe.
oxo brew conical burr coffee grinder: Key Features
- Durable 40 millimeter stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for optimal flavor extraction
- 15 settings (plus Micro settings) let you adjust your grind to suit your taste
- One touch start timer keeps your last setting, just push to grind
- Hopper holds up to 0.75 pounds of Coffee beans. Product Dimension - 12x7.4x16 inch
- Grounds container accommodates up to 110 grams (enough for 12 cups). Never use water or other liquids to clean the inside of the grinder/burrs
- Powerful DC Motor: High torque but low speed; about 400 rpm; the OXO Stainless Steel Conical Burr Coffee Grinder will not overheat your beans. Also in this way, it protects flavor even during prolonged grinding. It also helps to generate minimal static to reduce the mess.
- Coffee Container With A Twist-Off Lid: The container houses enough coffee ground to brew as much as 12 cups.
- Intuitive Led Interface: Grind based on the number of cups you wish to prepare or modify your brew amount by grinding in grams.
- Grind Select Feature: Grinder locks into a wide array of settings/modes from espresso level fine grinding to French press or cold brew level coarse grind. We refer ‘How To Use’ – section of this OXO Conical Burr Grinder review for the details.
- UV-Blocking Tint: Bean Hopper keeps away the harmful UV rays reaching your delicate coffee beans. It keeps the beans fresh for a long time.
- Mess-Free Design: Bean Hopper has a trap door. It holds the beans in when removed. The ground coffee container has a slender top opening. Designed for easy dispensing and less mess.
- Strength Adjuster: Ratio can be finely tuned to prepare a weaker or stronger brew to fit your preference. Note: Only applicable to the “Cups” setting.
- Protection: The built-in automatic no-bean detector and overheating protection functions protect the motor to guaranty a long life.
- Stainless Steel Conical Burrs: 40mm durable burrs create a uniform, precise grind for optimal coffee brewing.
- Large Capacity Bean Hopper: The hopper can hold up to 16oz. of coffee beans.
With Integrated Scale Version
- OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder's built-in scale measures grounds by weight instead of time, eliminating the need for a separate scale; automatic shutoff ensures a precise amount of ground coffee every time
- Durable, 40 mm stainless steel conical burrs create uniform grounds for up to 38 settings -- from fine for espresso to coarse for French press or cold brew
- High torque/low speed motor won’t overheat beans, preserving flavor and generating minimal static for less mess. Built-in overheating detection protects motor for long life
- Use the single dial to switch between Cups Mode, Grams Mode or Manual Mode. In Cups mode, you grind based on the number of cups of coffee you would like to brew.
- No-bean detector won't let you grind if the hopper is empty
Who does not wish for a beautiful set of kitchenware? The OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder With Integrated Scale reviews will tell you how its stylish oblong design, this grinder does not only offer you a perfect cup but can fit right in your set of perfect kitchen aesthetics too!
Strong Bean Chopper
This grinder houses a robust bean chopper. It will provide you a consistent level of grinding every time. From the finest grind to the coarsest; you can depend on it to do the job exquisitely well.
Accurate Weighing Scale
The integrated weighing scale is a gem of an addition. Because at this price point we rarely feature it in coffee grinders or machines. This stops you from brewing more than what you need!
Empty Bean Hopper Sensor
For safety measures, the sensor does not let the grinding begin if the hopper does not have any coffee beans. The grinder also lets notices you when the hopper is empty. The scale can remember how much more/less you require after pouring the coffee beans.
The model for adjusting the grind sizes houses a large dial. Another small dial for picking the grind amount as you prefer. Also, you can also pick your desired dosage by cups. You can do it through the built-in weighing scale.
Without Integrated Scale Version
- Shape: Oblong.
- Bean hopper: 12 oz.
- Item Weight: 4.5 pounds.
- Voltage: 120V and 60Hz.
- Grind Settings: 15 in total.
- Build Material: Stainless Steel.
- Date First Available: July 2, 2018.
- Product Dimensions (LxWxH): 7.4” x 12” x 16”.
- Grounds container: 3.8 oz. For making 12 cups of coffee maximum.
- International Shipping: This item is shippable to a selected few countries outside of the United States.
- Domestic Shipping: Currently, this item can be shipped within the United States only. Also shippable to Army Post Office (APO)/Fleet Post Office addresses (FPO). For APO/FPO shipments, kindly check with the manufacturer regarding support issues and warranty.
With Integrated Scale Version
The OXO Stainless Steel Conical Burr Coffee Grinder focuses on perfecting the beans grinding. So your coffee will be able to blossom with full flavor and aroma. Simply input the amount in grams. The integrated scale will tell you the correct dosage to brew the ideal strength.
- Auto Shut–Off: Yes.
- LED–lit Controls: Yes
- Conical Burr Speed: 400 RPM.
- Bean Hopper Capacity: 16 ounces.
- Burrs: Stainless steel conical 40mm.
- Grinding Range: Coarse to Extra Fine.
- Dimensions: (HxDxW) 16.4” x 11.1” x 7.3”.
- Customizable grind coarseness and volume.
- Item Weight: 5lbs (with integrated scale version).
- The digital scale grinds the exact amount of ground.
- Fitted ground container and chute to reduce dust accumulation.
- The bean detector doesn’t begin grinding if the hopper remains empty.
- Single dial to select between Cups mode, Grams mode, and Manual mode.
- Trap door mechanism stops beans from falling out when removing the hopper.
How To Use Oxo Burr Grinder
To Set Grind Size
No OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder reviews will not be complete without mentioning their optimal grind size settings. Factors include brewing formula, roast darkness, bean freshness and type, and more. Experiment with various grind modes to earn the brew that best suits your tastebud. If the coffee tastes too bitter, better try a coarser sized grind. If the brew tastes weak, switch to finer grind size.
- Move the lid from the hopper. Fill it with roasted whole beans. Put the lid back on the hopper then.
- Grip the hopper from the top while slowly rotating it to adjust the setting of grind size (1 = finest, 15 = coarse). See our table below for grind sizes and grind settings recommendations. Note: Adjust the grind size during the motor is running to avoid jamming.
- Plug it into a 110 Volt outlet.
See our instructions below on grinding by Cups mode, Grams mode, and Manual grinding.
|Brewing Method||Espresso||Pour Over Drip Coffee||French Press Cold Brew|
To Grind Coffee
We’ve already mentioned in this OXO Conical Burr Grinder review it has 3 grind modes. Cups, Grams, and Portafilter/Manual. In grams and cups mode the grinder weighs the output with an integrated scale. It ensures accurate and consistent results. In portafilter/manual mode the integrated scale gets disabled.
To Switch In Between Modes
When you first plug the grinder in, the machine will start with default “cups mode”. To alter to another mode, for about 3 seconds hold down the OXO button. Then twist the dial. It will let you select your preferred setting. The grinder will save this as the default mode, even after you unplug it.
Grinding is based on the number of cups you like to brew. It’s up to 12 cups.
- To wake up your grinder, press the OXO button once. Press and hold down the OXO button for about 3 seconds. It will take you to the selection menu.
- Twist the dial to select cups mode. Then to select, press the OXO button.
- The scale will calculate and display the number of cups inside the ground coffee container. Twist the dial accordingly to select the desired total number of cups you would like to have in the coffee container.
- Press the OXO button to start grinding.
Conversion Table (Grams converted into the nearest round number)
If you know how many grams are required for your dearest brewing process already, you can do the grinding by grams by selecting your desired amount, from 1 to 125 (in grams).
- Press the OXO button just once. It will wake up the grinder. Press and hold down the OXO button. Do it for about 3 seconds. It will let you enter the selection menu mode.
- To select grams mode, twist the dial. Now press the OXO button again to select.
- The scale will measure. Then it will display the grams number inside of the coffee container. To select the total number of grams you would like inside of the container, just twist the dial.
- Press the OXO button to begin the grinding process.
You can disable the built-in scale of the grinder. If you wish to determine manually the amount of coffee for grinding. Or if you wish to grind personally into a portafilter. In this manual mode, the display selection gets disabled. You cannot select Grams or Cups modes.
- Once you select the manual mode, you can grind inside the ground coffee container or any other different container. Or you can discard the ground coffee container. Substitute with a portafilter below the chute.
- To begin grinding press the OXO button.
- To stop grinding press the OXO button also.
Care, Cleaning And Maintenance
Before you start cleaning, the OXO official guideline recommends running the Grinder for at least 10 seconds. Do it with an empty bean hopper. It helps clear grounds/beans from the grounds chute and burrs.
- Before cleaning always make sure to unplug the power cord from the power outlet.
- Unlock and detach the bean hopper from the grinder. Press down on the hopper release lever and then twist the hopper counter-clockwise.
- Carefully clean out any beans from in between the burrs of the grinder.
- Lift up the metal burr handle. Then twist it counter-clockwise. Pull the handle straight upwards to remove the upper burr.
- Clean the grounds chute, upper burr, and lower burr with a small bristle brush.
- With tabs inside the lower burr, align the indents of the upper burr. Push the upper burr straight into the grinder. Turn the handle clockwise then until you finally hear the “click” sound. Note: Do continue to press downwards while turning the handle to secure engagement of upper burr with lower burr.
- To check the right burr installment, straightly pull up the metal burr handle. If installed properly, the burr will stick in place.
- Clean the bean hopper, ground coffee container, and both lids in warm water with mild detergent. Thoroughly rinse and dry.
- Wash and dry out the stainless steel plate. Wipeout any sitting coffee grounds under the plate.
- By aligning the icon with an arrow replaces the bean hopper. Then straight down gently seat the hopper.
- Wipe your grinder’s exterior with a damp and soft cloth.
Note: In this OXO Coffee Grinder review article we strongly advise to not use either an abrasive pad or harsh chemicals for cleaning. Do not wash any part of the grinder inside a dishwasher.
Why You Should Buy It
The most riveting aspect of our OXO Conical Burr Coffee Grinder review, is the fact that it offers above-average grind quality consistency. It managed to grind more than half of the beans in the ideal range of size. A feat that is possibly more remarkable than it sounds. It can keep fine coffee dust to a reasonable minimum level. When grinding for the French press (coarse grind) setting, it made fairly consistent dose grind sizes. All this proves that this device will offer the coffee a better chance of achieving its full potential than most other similar models.
We also liked the machine’s simple and painless user interface. Just turn a single dial to pick the number of seconds you would like the machine to grind. Then press the central button of the dial. It will begin the grinding. That’s it! You are done and just wait till the timer ends.
Sure, this OXO model pushes you to perform some experimenting to find out perfectly how many seconds it needs to grind the ideal amount of coffee. But this procedure costs way less than buying a costlier grinder with a scale to do the job for you. We also noticed for deep cleaning this machine is pretty easy to take apart.
Why You Should Not Buy It
Grinding coffee is an innately messy task. The OXO Brew Burr does very little to cut that mess down.
Our OXO Conical Burr Grinder review reveals that, it’s different from other OXO models while it’s grinding, it doesn’t spit grinds out. Unfortunately, grinds remain stuck in the chute. The grinding cup holds on to some static itself. Meaning it hangs onto some grinds. So, it results in a mess.
Grinding is also a noisy job. But again the OXO BREW conical burr falls short to reduce noisiness. But it’s not particularly loud. Measured it at around an average of 88 decibels.
A less expensive pared-down version of its shinier sibling, we can admit here in OXO Brew Conical Burr Grinder review that, the OXO Brew Conical Burr is a tad more gripping than the higher-priced versions from the brand.
It offers a good level of grind consistency. Also a fairly intuitive user interface. Plus its somewhat jarring noise and habit of spilling grinds felt less vexing when you consider its price point.
That being mentioned, we’ve found other machines of different brands that do a slightly better job overall in the same price range. So we recommend the OXO Brew Conical Bur if you are on a budget but this is not the sole contender for your money’s worth.
- Grind consistency above average
- Relatively inexpensive
- Easy to use.
- Noisy and sometimes it can be messy.
Why Is A Burr Grinder Better Than A Blade Grinder For Coffee?
A blade grinder will improve your coffee game slightly. But a burr grinder will totally amp it up with flavor notes and opportunity. When it comes to the return on your investment part, you just can’t beat the burr grinders. Especially if you need a less-expensive manual grinder.
What Are The 2 Purposes Of Blending Coffee?
The two major reasons that veteran coffee lovers like creating their own coffee blends. One is to reduce costs, and two is to achieve a consistent coffee profile. Also, this is why they can create unique and signature-style coffees.
What Are The Types Of Coffees Are Best Suited For The Oxo Conical Grinder?
For French Press, use the Dark Roasted Brazilian beans. For Pour-over drip-style pick the Ethiopian roasts. For Cold Brewing, use Dark Chocolatey roasted Honduras and Mexican beans. Costa Rican citrusy flavored beans for the others.
From the OXO Brew Conical Burr Coffee Grinder review we can conclude that, it is a mid-tier price, and in all actuality delivers a good grind consistency for that price. The OXO Brew Coffee Grinder does a decent job grinding beans for your home use. But whether it earns an adorned place in your kitchen or otherwise, depends on what kind of coffee drinker you are as well as how you might become one in the future.
With its better grind consistency, a finer degree of grind control, plus stronger construction, this machine is a sensible choice. Overall, the OXO Conical Burr Coffee Grinder is a worthy option to enrich your coffee grinding experience on a budget.