For any coffee shop, the espresso machine is always going to be a key player no matter of shop’s size. The machine often sits on the counter and the customers can see it when they walk in. The perfect espresso machine can ensure the customers’ satisfaction with their orders over and over again. If you own a small operation, it’s important that you pick the right commercial espresso machine.
That’s what we have offered in the article. All and everything you need to understand about buying the best commercial espresso machine for small coffee shop. Also, we’ve even amassed tips for small sized coffee biz and machine buying tips. So let’s dive right in.
Types of Espresso Machines
Before you go all out for your decision-making process for purchasing one of the best commercial espresso machines, it is a logical idea to get acquainted yourself with the types of espresso machines. Having a general idea of their differences between and the types offered will help you make a decision that’s best suited for your shop.
You will see the following Espresso machine types most commonly:
- Volumetric or Automatic Espresso Machines: For all experience levels they are very user friendly. They possess unwavering quality. While shots are pulled, employees will be able to attend to other matters. Considered faster than other machine types. Offers limited customization for specialty orders. Typically pricier than semi automatic espresso machines.
- Semiautomatic Espresso Machines: More barista commands require over each shot. Good for beginners to grow and learn a new skillset. Will make any competent baristas really excel. It can be slower than an automatic machine. Drinks’ quality can differ on the skill level of the user. Viewed as more difficult to learn for beginners.
- Automatic Espresso Machines with Manual Dosing: Options to use consistent dosing. Suitable for all levels of skill. Can customize espresso shots very swiftly. Can be very expensive though.
- Direct-Connect and Pour-over Machines: Doesn’t need to be connected to a water line and can be placed anywhere. But it’s time consuming to refill the reservoir.
List of The Best Commercial Espresso Machines
La Pavoni PUB 1EM-R-1 Group Commercial Espresso Machine
- Commercial Espresso machine
- Direct water line hookup
- Fully portable for catering
- Hot water tap
- Volt 120, 1500-watt
This is a cute sized professional espresso machine. It is capable and compact. As well as totally portable as long as you can lift around 80 pounds. It requires no direct plumbing. It’s practical for well-trained staff.
A semi-automatic with a 1.8-liter pour-in reservoir. It has a 6.5-liter boiler. It can make up to 150 shots of cappuccinos or espresso a day. An excellent choice for restaurants. Power Usage – 120V, 1500 Watt. Dimension (L x W x H) – 22 x 15 x 22 inches.
- Totally portable and compact
- Large boiler size
- Cup rack built-in
- Made of Stainless steel
- 1.8-liter reservoir
- Ranged in an affordable price.
- It requires seasoned staff to mix drinks
- Pour-in reservoir
- Only two types of caffeine, cappuccino, and espresso, dispensed.
Nuova Simonelli Musica Pour Over Tank Version
- Feature packed powerhouse that combines beauty and functionality, the perfect espresso machine for those looking for a permanent solution for their morning java. Designed after the critically acclaimed Oscar True electronic pre-infusion Pour over model...
- Feature packed powerhouse that combines beauty and functionality, the perfect espresso machine for those looking for a permanent solution for their morning java. Designed after the critically acclaimed Oscar True electronic pre-infusion Pour over model...
- Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux Pour Over Espresso Machine. The all-new Nuova Simonelli Musica espresso machine is a feature packed powerhouse that combines both beauty and functionality. Built upon the design of the critically acclaimed Oscar, the Nuova...
- Automatic Espresso Dosing With the Nuova Simonelli Musica, you can program your favorite ristretto or espresso sizes, and it will automatically stop brewing when that volume has been dispensed. This is a great feature for a small coffee shop that wants to...
- Programmable Hot Water Dispensing Make Americanos and brew tea with 100% fresh hot water with the Nuova Simonelli Musica's hot water wand. With the simple press of the button, water will flow from the water tank through the heat exchanger line and be...
Nuova Simonelli Musica Pour Over Tank Version is a model that offers reliability and quality that’s been doing its service for a long time. And without a huge price. But the output is not nearly as peak as the Aurelia. It’s a semi-automatic. It does have programmable sizes, like ristretto and espresso though.
This commercial espresso machine is compact. Able to make about 60 cups per day. It’s best for offices or small locations primarily.
This model has a sound proof pump. Comes with an insulated boiler with an exchanger. The product weighs 90 pounds. Capacity is 0.53 gallons. Power Usage – 110V, 1200 Watt. Dimension (L x W x H) – 13 x 16 x 17 inches.
- Affordable price for the machine
- Cup sizes are programmable
- Reliable brand name
- Pressure gauge front-mounted
- Digital LCD menu
- Insulated boiler.
- Caps will be out at 60 cups
- Needs skill for making mixed coffee drinks.
Bezzera Magica Commercial Espresso Machine E61 Brewing Group
- E61 Group Head: The Magica has the very famous E61 group head which has been the golden standard for high end espresso machines for over 50 years. An E61 group head is heated using a thermosyphon system that circulates water through the group head keeping it very hot. The grouphead is controlled by raising the lever that activates the vibration pump and opens the group solenoid valve to deliver coffee. Once the desired quantity is reached, lower the lever to stop brewing.Heat-Exchanging Boiler: The Bezzera Magica is fitted with a 2 liter copper boiler with heat exchanger system. That means you can steam milk and extract espresso at the same time. High 1350-watt heating element is controlled by a thermostat to maintain a constant temperature.
- Professional Gauges: The Bezzera Magica has two manometers; first the standard boiler pressure indicator which is on all heat exchanger machines but it also has a second extraction manometer that measures the extraction pressure. This is a very handy tool when extracting espresso as it provides a window into the extraction.
- Joystick Style Knobs: This is the latest trend in the industry. Instead of using taps that have to be turned on and off the Magica features the instant on/instant off Joy Stick style wands. These are also nice because they cannot be over tightened.
This commercial espresso machine integrates the best of both worlds: classic, as well as modern time-saving features. The Bezzera Magica offers the E61 group head. Which is known as the industry gold standard. It makes hot water by circulating it through an efficient thermo-siphon setup.
The levers are joystick-like. Ensuring an ergonomic touch and ease of consistent brewing process. Has dual boilers. So the barista can simultaneously steam the milk with steam wands as well as brew espresso.
The water reservoir holds only 4 liters of water. Small sized machine. The boiler machine capacity is 2 liters. Stainless steel and copper made. Weighs 50 pounds. Power Usage – 1350 Watt. Dimension (L x W x H) – 42.5 cm x 30 cm x 41.5 inch.
- Joystick levers offer consistently quality brewing
- Dual boilers for water and milk (simultaneously)
- E61 group head is vastly efficient.
- Very small for larger businesses or offices.
Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine
- Ergonomic porta filter handle same as the proven design of Rancilio commercial machines
- Commercial grade group head for superb heat stability and extraction quality
- Articulating steam wand offers complete range of motion and professional steaming knob precisely controls steaming pressure
- Classic linear design fits most decors
- Optional pod and capsule adaptor kit available
Fitting porta filter handle same as the proven style of Rancilio commercial machines. Commercial grade group head offers extraction quality and excellent heat stability. Articulating steam wand gives the complete range of motion.
The steaming pressure accurately controlled by the professional steaming knob. Its classic linear design fits most decors. Optional capsule and pod adaptor kit available.
The single boiler has the largest volume capacity of 0.3 liters (12oz). Chrome plated brass boiler generates outstanding steaming power. Between shots remarkable recovery time. Weighs 30.4 Pounds. Power Usage – Consumes lower than 0.5 Wh (Watt-hour). Dimension (L x W x H) – 9.20 X 11.40 X 13.30 inches.
- Easy to clean and fun to operate and experiment
- Doesn’t take up much of counter space
- Very good for lattes and espresso.
- Requires regular high maintenance.
La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II BLACK Espresso Machine
- NEW Redesigned Top Cover
- NEW Redesigned Portafilters
- NEW Steam tip with 4 smaller .9 mm holes
- Dual Boiler
- Programmable Off Set Differential
There are two different boilers, one for brewing and one for steaming. The machine automatically halts at the accurate volume, helping to generate automatic consistency. The rotary pump will not disrupt low-noise environments. This model will do it on its own active boiler refill.
Just one group machine. 20 espressos per hour. One Stainless steel steam arm. Dual boiler, 0.45 liter coffee boiler, 2.5 liter steam boiler, 2.95 liters in total. Nickle plated. Brass and Copper inside and outside. Weighs 65 pounds. Power Usage – 110V. 800 Watt (Group boiler), 1250 Watt (Steam boiler). Dimension (L x W x H) – 16.5 x 16.5 x 15 inches.
- NEW 0.9 mm standard four hole steam tip
- Precise temperature measurement
- Genuine temperature sensing probe
- LED display
- Tough top cover redesign.
- It uses a non-standard size portafilter
- There are nice tampers and polished brew baskets available, but they are difficult to find.
Recommended Super Automatic Espresso Machines as Commercial Espresso Machines
Super automatic machines for the commercial grade are much stouter than home machines. We highly recommend that you buy a machine that can tackle high rate of daily drinking volume. Machines that are designed for home cannot handle the type of volume that typically renowned best commercial espresso machines serves. If you try to use a small home machine the coffee quality will suffer, and the machine will likely have troubles.
Unic, La Cimbali, Faema, and Nuova Simonelli are commercial grade super automatic models. These are the best brands in the world in terms of super automatics. There are also other brands, including Rancilio, Cecilware, Franke, Schaerer, Jura, and Eversys. Some of the Jura models are very popular for offices, including the W3, Giga 5, and Giga 6.
Jura 15145 Automatic Coffee Machine WE8
- ONE TOUCH: Prepare 12 barista quality specialties including perfect espresso with JURA's exclusive Pulse Extraction Process, coffee, cappuccino, flat white and latte macchiato at the touch of a button
- CONICAL BURR GRINDER: Fast and precise AromaG3 grinder grinds whole beans to the optimum fineness
- ECO FRIENDLY: JURA is always freshly ground, not capsuled - fresh taste with very limited waste - single serve machine
- OFFICE USE: Perfect machine for your workplace - ideal for small offices and self-serve coffee bars
- CAPACITY: 101 ounce water tank, 17.6 ounce bean container
Can make 12 barista quality specialties. Including coffee, cappuccino, Jura’s Pulse Extraction Process, flat white, and latte macchiato at the press of one button. Precise and fast AromaG3 grinder. Grinds whole beans to the maximum fineness. Jura is not capsuled but always freshly ground, fresh taste with very minimal waste – single serve coffee machine. The perfect machine for any workplace. Ideal for self-service coffee bars and small offices.
101 ounce water tank. 17.6 ounce of bean container. Weighs 22 pounds. Fine milk/foam frother. Plastic made body. Power Usage – 220 – 240V. Dimension (L x W x H) – 17.5 x 11.6 x 16.5 inches.
- Automatic machine with an affordable price
- 12 different programmable options
- 8 levels of different coffee strengths
- 3 hot water temperatures
- 2 brewing temperatures
- Pulse extraction system.
- Reaches a maximum of 30 cups of specialty coffee per day.
Jura 13623 Giga 5 Automatic Coffee Machine
- Fast and quiet as a whisper thanks to two ceramic disc grinder | Pure, clean lines for a unique, sovereign character
- Product dimensions – 12.6” W x 16.3” H x 18.9” D | Weight – 39.7 lbs. | Water capacity – 91.5 oz. | Bean container capacity (x2) – 9.88 oz. | Coffee grounds container capacity – 20 portions Max | Cord length – 59” | Voltage – 120V, 60 Hz
- Create your specialty Coffee in no time thanks to a TFT display with rotary selection
- Now you can become a professional Barista in a flash, with 12 imaginative Barista specialties selected with a turn of the rotary switch
- The epitome of quality – doubled with the combined power of two grinders and two heating systems, the machine prepares every specialty Coffee to perfection
Two high-performance grinders made for coffee grinding. From a practically wear-free technical ceramic guarantee precise, quick, consistent, and even grinding. The two spout dispenses the liquid into the cup. They can be smoothly height-adjusted and width-adjusted.
With the rotary switch, the recipes for 12 imaginative coffee creations are selected. The GIGA 5 model uses texts and images to clearly help you through all the preparation steps.
Quiet and fast as a whisper, thanks to two ceramic grinders. Water capacity 91.5 oz. Bean container capacity (x2) – 9.88 oz. Weighs 40 pounds. Power Usage – Voltage: 120V, 60 Hz. Dimension (L x W x H) – 20 x 17 x 13 inches.
- Easy to use and clean
- Brews coffee efficiently
- TFT color display
- Wireless ready
- Dedicated A.I. system.
- High price tag.
Jura 15089 GIGA W3 Professional Automatic Coffee Machine
- The ingenious, self-explanatory operating concept includes a ball bearing-mounted rotary switch and TFT display for maximum speed and efficiency
- The integrated rinsing, cleaning and descaling programs reduce the effort involved to a minimum. Active bean monitor is available
- with accessories such as cup warmers and milk coolers, it is possible to design an optimum complete Coffee solution for any requirement
- The GIGA W3 is also capable of producing the internationally popular flat white
- Elegant and professional, the automatic Coffee machine provides everything that counts in a modern working environment for customers, visitors and employees
TFT display for maximum efficiency and speed. The integrated cleaning system, rinsing, and descaling programs. Capable of making the internationally popular flat white coffee. Original Jura maintenance products ensure thorough protection and hygiene.
169 ounce water tank. 35.3 ounce bean container. Aroma preservation lid. Weighs 42 Pounds. Power Usage – Voltage: 120V. Dimension (L x W x H) – 14.5 x 19.6 x 21.6 inches.
- Professional-grade for large homes
- Convenient, intuitive, and simple operation
- 43 different specialty and barista coffee beverages
- Preservation of the flavors and aroma
- Comes with maintenance and cleaning products
- Elegant design
- Durable construction.
- Pricier than most coffee machines
- Not ideal for small countertops
- May not allow all types of cups or mugs
- Only 5 grind settings
- No carafe for the milk.
Delonghi super-automatic espresso coffee machine-ECAM65075MS PrimaDonna
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL Super-automatic espresso coffee machine with a patented AUTOMATIC CAPPUCCINO system that delivers a tasty barista-quality Cappuccino, Caffelatte, Latte Macchiato, frothed or hot Milk, Chocolate in less than 3 minutes. Can be used with...
- PROFESSIONAL Brew two cups of magic drink simultaneously with Top-of-the-line Delonghi bean-to-cup brews two cups. Great brewing without having to learn how to be a barista. This fully automated machine has an integrated silent coffee grinder with 13...
- USER FRIENDLY. A super-automatic espresso maker can deliver the coffee shop experience to the comfort of your home, any time you feel the urge. System equipped with a sensor metal touch control panel, a front-loading water tank, a frothing unit, a...
- EASY TO CLEAN Automatic cleaning with Descaling, cleaning and rinsing programs with a Cappuccino System cleaning indicator. All removable components of the Delonghi super-automatic espresso coffee machine are dishwasher safe
- WORRY-FREE PURCHASE: Delonghi super-automatic coffee machine backed with an Unconditional Satisfaction Guarantee and a 12-month Warranty. If you are not 100% satisfied, please CONTACT US immediately and we will help you right away. Our world-class...
Super-automatic espresso coffee machine with a patented automatic system delivers coffee in less than 3 minutes. Integrated silent coffee grinder. Equipped with a sensor metal touch control panel. Easy to clean.
Volume 72 ounces. Weighs 0.352 ounces. Unconditional satisfaction guaranteed with a 12-month warranty. Power Usage – Voltage/Frequency: 220-240V 50/60Hz. Dimension (L x W x H) – 3.94 x 3.94 x 3.94 inches.
- The coffee grinder has 13 different settings
- Dishwasher safe
- 6 programmable profiles for different types of coffee
- Decalcification cycle is built on respective water hardness and it’s adjustable.
- The official available app is a nice feature but unfortunately not found in the US store.
Nuova Simonelli Oscar II Espresso Machine
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 16" x 12" x 16"
- Espresso Machine Type: Semi-Automatic
- Voltage: 110
- Water Source: Pour-Over
A semi-automatic espresso machine. Steam and brew at the Same Time. Group head 58mm. Features timed dosing. Has water shortage indicator.
To brew quality espresso it’s available with a 2.3 liter reservoir. Water source style: Pour-over. Used Steel as the build material. Weighs 13 pounds. Power Usage – Voltage: 110V. 1200Watt. Dimension (L x W x H) – 16 x 12 x 16 inches.
- Nuova’s signature steam pressure system with the lever
- The boiler is a heat exchange boiler
- Automatic shot timer controls
- Cupholder that can entertain up to 12 cups
- Oscar is able to work in both an office setting and home.
- It does not have a hot water spout
- Highly recommended using a good coffee grinder for this machine.
Heavy Commercial Espresso Machine for a Booming Coffee Shop
La Pavoni Bar T3
This model has 22.5 liters of boiler capacity and is able of making up to 800 cups of coffee every day, satisfying the cravings of the heaviest of users. We recommended it for busy restaurants, shops, and hotels.
Basically where it is necessary to supply high quality coffee in mass quantities. Excellent engineering is done on this machine. Durable and well thought-out. Accessible for repairs. Requires a significant investment. No dual boiler though.
- Groups made with press-forged brass and chrome plated, with vertical infusion chamber and pressurization system
- Boiler in copper equipped with transversal heat exchangers and front injectors for each group
- Independent radiator hydraulic system for every group
- Two flexible steam jet
- Dimensions: 21"H x 21"D x 36"W, Boiler water capacity: 21.5 liter
La Pavoni Bar T2
The one and only major difference between the two is that it has two group heads with a bit smaller capacity. However, the Bar T 2-Group is not a small machine at all. It has the capacity to serve up to 600 cups of espresso per day.
The boiler size is 14 liters. Like its big brother, the La Pavoni Bar T 2-Group is a faithful companion to baristas who need to provide their customers with frequently high quality coffee.
T2 and T3 are perfect machines for small coffee shops, restaurants, and most similar establishments. It’s large enough and provides a good balance of features. Again another machine worth significant investment. Also, no dual boiler.
- Large 14 liter boiler & 4370 watts
- 230 Volt
- 2 steam wands
- Install kit & water softener
Things to Consider for Your Small Coffee Shop Business
It’s vital that you make a decision that will benefit you the most. In order to do that, we believe you consider these issues beforehand:
Before you go to purchase, consider your affordability for an espresso machine. The good news for you that there are machines that can fit into any range of budget.
In fact, you will be surprised to find that there are so many espresso machines that are with great features and also budget friendly. If you have a bigger budget, more options will come with your machine. But don’t overlook your other necessities. The right machine, regardless of the price, will save you money in the long run. If your budget lets you then consider machines with the traits you need before thinking about the price.
Employees & Experience
If you have a high-end shop with veteran employees, use a semi automatic espresso machine. If you often hire new artisans or if you are worried about consistency then pick an automatic espresso machine. If your employees are inexpert then using a pour-over machine will be beneficial.
At the same time, if espresso sales aren’t a large chunk of your business, then you may realize that a pour-over machine isn’t too troublesome on a day-to-day basis, especially on the whole how they are reasonably inexpensive compared to direct-connect models.
Additional features can add a fancier high-end quality to your coffee drinks. Such features can be built-in timers or programmable pre-infusion. They are important if you own a boutique coffee shop.
An impressive-looking machine will awe your customers and stimulate the mood of your shop. Try to imagine from a customer’s perspective regardless of having machines for small coffee shops or big.
Actually, many manufacturers like VictoriArduinoa and Nuova Simonelli, factor style into their designs too.
How Many Espresso Drinks Do You Make
The number of espresso sales you make is a factor also to think about.
Generally, an espresso machine is more powerful if the boiler is bigger. It means you can create more coffee drinks. The number of groups is another part to think about as more groups mean more shots can be made at once. For a lot of small coffee sized shops, a single group machine is sufficient. But if you have a high level of sales, you may go for two groups.
You do not need all of the certifications. But having some guarantees your machines’ standard and will pass examinations for safety and sanitation officially.
How to Choose Best Commercial Espresso Machine
Commercial espresso machines live for one reason only. That is to keep up with the needs of a café business. They are way different from any home espresso machine for this reason only. They are designed to make frequently high-quality coffee throughout the day. No matter how crowded the coffee shop.
Yet, not all espresso machines are made equal. So which one you conclude buying can have a major impact on your business. Just like giving the right name for your shop. That’s why you don’t have to race this decision.
To guide you make an educated decision, we recommend the four important factors listed underneath and find which commercial machine will do best for your business.
Semi-Automatic Vs Automatic?
From the days of steam-powered coffee machines, seasoned coffee makers have come a long way. What used to be a meticulous process of manually handling heavy levers, has become easy with today’s semi-automatic and super-automatic (a.k.a., automatic) machines.
Automation is indeed a blessing when you or your barista is drawing shot after shot from day tonight. No matter which coffee machine you end up buying from the list above, you just can’t go wrong. But as a business owner, you still need to choose between semi-automatic vs automatic espresso machines. And not just because of only the primary upfront cost.
An automatic machine is the smarter preference for most businesses. Because it gives greater ease of operation and efficiency. You don’t require to grind the beans, tamp them. Even not worry about achieving harmonious levels of extraction.
It will also negate the need for long-winded staff coaching. Super automatic espresso machines’ learning curve is gentle enough. Even for those who do not have preceding barista training or experience.
However, if you don’t anticipate serving hundreds of cups of coffee daily and you appreciate manual tweaking of the extraction process, a semi-automatic machine will evince to be the ideal addition to your appliance list.
Espresso Machine Capacity
Are you a local establishment providing specialty brews to a small number of refined customers? Will your café be serving every day hundreds of ‘to-go’ cups? How much space do you need to put the machine? How many baristas do you require to be able to utilize the machine simultaneously? These are all vital questions to ask before picking one from an array of commercial espresso machines.
A machine’s capacity is decided by the number of boiler and group-heads. Most pro coffee machines have 2 to 4 group-heads. The number of group heads determines how many baristas can use the machine at a time. Each head can produce two drinks at once. Do remember that a higher number option isn’t always better. You might get limited by the available space behind your counter.
Boiler capacity is also a key factor in opting for the right coffee machine. It should be big enough to give you enough hot water during busy hours. Normally, the more unit of heads a machine has, the bigger capacity the boiler has.
You should also consider the size of the machine in your mind. While a large machine will be costlier and need more space. The right size could improve your service time and mobility of your staff.
Maintenance & Ease Of Use
Maintenance is a key issue for high-performance equipment to all professionals. This refers to both the everyday cleaning of the machine, as well as the simplicity of getting it serviced in case of technical issues. In the market today, almost all automatic espresso machines are designed to free your staff and yourself from menial tasks of daily maintenance.
However, it is worth practically studying the individual models. Most automatic espresso models are self-cleaning. But they still require to be descaled frequently. They usually do not have separable group-heads. That means you’ll have to rely on the machine’s self-cleaning capability.
You could go for an automatic commercial espresso machine that offers removable parts. It will allow you to do a manual deep cleaning every now and then. But you must have to train your staff first to perform the self-cleaning duties.
Semi-automatic machines generally feature detachable parts and have to be descaled manually. They’re also easier to maintain compared to their automatic counterparts. Because they don’t possess built-in coffee grinders or other sophisticated bits of machinery.
But whichever commercial-grade espresso machine you buy, make sure that it is stout. Also easy to repair in case of any technical problems. That is why it’s crucial to ensure that an espresso machine has generous warranty coverage.
The Espresso Shot
That’s all your customer’s going to bother about after all. Read user reviews on the quality, taste, and consistency of the espresso shot for each of them.
Since you’ll be coughing up some serious money on your espresso machine, you might want to observe your menu to realize what coffee drinks will be on the offer.
We are hilariously hoping that our article will put your hours of “best commercial espresso machine small coffee shop”-type of internet surfing to an end. Whether you have opened or trying to expand your small business, the article covered espresso machine reviews, maintenance, and some overall business tips for you.
Even if you have already done your research about what your requirements are, made allocation for the overheads and equipment, and you just want an overview of the best commercial espresso machines available in the market, our article covers those points of view too!
Now, it’s all up to your decision, and make sure to always check up on the specific machine reviews from the buyers.