We consume coffee to keep ourselves fresh and energized throughout the day. As much as we talk about the benefits of coffee it can also cause some problems, especially to those with sensitive stomachs. Coffee’s Quinic acid affects your stomach, leading to IBS and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) as well. Thus the need for low acid coffee (little-to-no Quinic acid). In our Best Low Acid Coffee Review article, we’ll not only review some low acid coffees but also shed light on the problems and solutions of drinking regular coffee.
What Is Low Acid Coffee?
Low acid coffee is a type of coffee that’s been either brewed or roasted to have little-to-no Quinic acid. Most regular coffees have a pH level of 4.85 – 5.13. So, a good low acid coffee should have a pH level of about 6 since the neutral level is at 7.
Coffees that are less acidic, have a medium to a darker roast. This coffee is generally perfect for folks who’re suffering from digestive issues. Regions that produce high-quality low acid coffees are Sumatra, Mexico, Nicaragua, Peru, Brazil, and Guatemala.
Benefits Of Low Acid Coffee
Low acid coffee can aid even more than soothing one’s digestive system. Here are some of the best aspects of drinking low acid coffee:
- Safer for teeth as the low acid coffee has less damaging acidic effects on the enamel.
- Scientific research suggests that low acid coffees also contain a higher level of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Acid reflux and GERD symptoms occur frequently when someone’s exercising. A good low acid coffee helps health-conscious folks to avoid those pains while training.
- For those who’re struggling with gastric ulcers, IBS, and gluten or dairy intolerances, low acid coffee can be that gentler drink your stomach can be benefitted from.
Best Low Acid Coffee: Product Reviews
Before we dive into the detailed reviews, let’s have a quick look on the products we are reviewing –
Volcanica Low Acid Coffee
Volcanica’s low acid house blend includes Arabica beans from Brazil and Sumatra. These Arabica beans are grown at lower altitudes, which offers a greater taste with lower acidity. Scientifically, lower-altitude soil offers less stress for the coffee. When brewed, this House Blend offers sweetness and a heavy body with an intense syrupy aftertaste.
Generally, Volcanica’s large variety of whole beans are sourced from the best growing farms around the world. And especially farms with rich, volcanic growing soil. Because these conditions are renowned for yielding incredibly high-quality coffee beans. Since these beans are naturally low in acidity, Volcanica roast masters don’t have to do the prolonged dark roasting to achieve that low acid level. Thus this exquisite blend delivers scrumptiously low-key and naturally gentle on your stomach coffee. Definitely one of the best low acid coffee choices out there!
- One of the quality affordable coffee.
- A low acid, gentle on the stomach blend.
- Fair Trade and Rainforest Alliance certified.
- Volcanica only roasts beans after they receive an order.
- High-quality Arabica coffee beans from Brazil and Sumatra.
- Flavors include Mocha-Java, French roast, and Jamaican Blue Mountain.
- No light roast option available.
- Volcanica only works with Arabica beans.
- Medium roasted beans.
- Coffee pH level is 5.2 – 5.3.
- Organic and shade-grown beans.
- Coffee beans are sourced from Sumatra.
- Chocolate, Nuts, and Tangerine flavor notes.
Lifeboost Coffee Medium Roast Whole Bean
Delicious and ethically sourced coffee, making it one of the best. Lifeboost’s non-GMO organic whole beans are low acid but high in flavors. These beans are sun-dried and then spring water washed; as a result, pure and natural coffee is straight into your hands. Sourced from the mountains Of Central America (Nicaragua in this case), Lifeboost Single Origin Acid Free Coffee is also shade-grown of those high elevation mountains of Central America. These exclusive farms are all bird-friendly to ensure a stress-free environment for the coffees. Their low acid organic coffee beans are rich in antioxidants that deliver all the wonderful benefits of coffee without any unwanted side effects.
Lifeboost beans are USDA certified and 3rd party tested for mycotoxins, heavy metals, and pesticides. You can try a bag of Lifeboost Coffee for a month. If you don’t like it then they’ll full-refund you. Standard bearer among the best low acid coffee brands.
- USDA certified and Mycotoxin-free.
- Premium single-origin Arabica coffee.
- Beans are grown 1700 meters above sea level for complex flavor development.
- Limited supply.
- Pricier than regular brands.
- Single-origin coffee.
- Premium Nicaraguan coffee beans.
- High-elevation shade-grown and medium roasted.
- Non-GMO, sun-dried, hand-washed, and hand-selected beans.
Puroast Organic House Blend
Since we’re talking about top rated low acid coffee – we can’t go past Puroast. Puroast roastmasters have developed a unique roasting process that only they can do. Their House Blend has a better mouthfeel and is free of any bitterness. Puroast Coffee beans mostly come from Central and South American countries like Peru, Guatemala, Mexico, Colombia, Honduras, and Nicaragua. The House blend beans are sourced from Venezuela which favors a dark French roast. Puroast founders always want to meet certain taste qualities – richness, savory, and smoothness.
Their remarkably low acid coffee is one of the results of that motto. This low-acid coffee utilizes artisanal wood-fired roasting. As a result, this coffee will deliver dark and bold flavors with lower acidity. If you suffer from heartburn, ulcers, or acid reflux, this is a coffee product you can trust.
- Kosher certified beans.
- Backed by reputable scientific researchers.
- 70% lower pH level than traditional coffees.
- One of the least expensive low-acid whole beans.
- 5 times higher in antioxidants compared to regular coffee.
- Sometimes brewed coffee can be bitter and bland.
- Large volume pre-ground packages are prone to turning stale.
- 70% less acid.
- 100% pure Arabica coffee.
- Medium roasted house blend.
- Beans sourced from Venezuela.
- Has 7 times more antioxidants than regular Green tea.
Tieman’s Fusion Coffee
Made from 100% premium Central and South American Arabica beans. The beans are naturally fused for 5-7 hours with Macha Green Tea. As a result, you’ll get sustained energy and no jitters from the brew. The Macha green tea adds a boost of energy for 5 hours. Tieman’s experts also added the Rooibos Red Tea for stomach-settling benefits and Goji Berry powders for anti-inflammatory benefits. Each cup from Tieman’s fusion coffee will provide 5-times more antioxidants protection than a body needs daily. This is a coffee that was designed to enhance, rather than mask, the delicious natural coffee flavors with all the health benefits.
- More antioxidants present than in pure coffees.
- A rich, full-bodied taste with a creamy mouthfeel.
- Available both in pre-ground and whole bean versions.
- The teas and Goji berry additives add health benefits on top of low acidity.
- Pricey additives have made it more expensive.
- Seasoned coffee lovers do not approve of the addition and influence of the tea flavor.
- An average pH range of 5.85%.
- Low acid dark roasted coffee beans.
- Ultra-smooth flavor and stomach-settling benefits.
- 100% Arabica beans from Guatemala, Ecuador, and Colombia.
Don Pablo Signature Blend
Made with medium-dark roasted Arabica beans, Don Pablo’s Signature Blend can easily be considered having best low acid coffee beans. Making it more enjoyable to coffee lovers without the guilt. These beans are sourced from Central America’s finest farms (Colombia, Guatemala, and Brazil). Their beans have distinct body characters and more complexities. It also has a sweet, very smooth cocoa-tone, and well-integrated taste with a medium to full body. The Don Pablo medium-dark roast does a slight caramelization of the natural sugars in the beans while still preserving the natural flavors. That’s why the brew offers a sweet, pleasant aftertaste. Its grounds from the beans can be used in a traditional drip machine, or even in a French press.
- Rich, smooth, and very flavorful coffee.
- Coffee beans come in a re-sealable bag.
- Does not have any unpleasant aftertaste.
- Ideal for making various specialty coffee drinks.
- Has a slightly bitter after taste.
- Due to the natural oils, grounds stick inside the grinder.
- Medium dark roasted.
- GMO-free coffee beans.
- Coffee has a very smooth cocoa-toned finish with low acidity.
- Blends are sourced from Colombian, Guatemalan, and Brazilian beans.
Java Planet Organic Coffee Beans
Java Planet coffee roaster is family-owned and operating in Tampa, Florida since 2009. They promote coffee that attributes to a healthy body and a healthy planet causes. Hence, their coffees are certified Bird Friendly, Fair Trade, and Rain Forest Alliance. This Organic coffee consists of 100% Arabica coffee sourced from a higher-level elevation, non-GMO coffee farms. They’re also roasted in small batches for quality and flavor. The medium-dark roast provides a full-body, balanced flavor, and the best low acid coffee with beautiful fruit tones as Colombian Arabica is known for. This coffee has all the beneficial antioxidants naturally found in high-altitude grown coffees.
- Good source of antioxidants.
- Organic 100% Colombian Arabica beans.
- Rich, full-flavored, and aromatic notes from the coffee.
- Expensive coffee brand.
- Medium dark roasted.
- Colombian single-origin blend.
- Low acidic, gourmet Arabica whole beans
- Organic, Rainforest Alliance, and Non-GMO certified.
Tyler’s No Acid Organic Ground Coffee
Tyler’s organic ground coffee is one of their whole foods initiatives. This No-acid coffee blend will enhance the health of coffee consumers without compromising taste, quality, and tooth enamel. As we all know, acid reflux can cause indigestion, bloating, and other discomforts and health issues.
Tyler’s is the 1st acid-free organic coffee in the world as they ensure near-neutral pH suitable for your acid-free diets. Their roasting process strips off any harmful tannins and lipid acids away unlike most commercial coffee blends. The roasting also enhances the aroma and flavor. Tyler’s Organic Coffee strikes a healthy balance with health issues and versatility. Because their pre-ground coffee is ideal for drip machines, French press, pour-over, and reusable K-cup. You can savor this coffee guilt-free and just the way you like it. Tyler’s coffee masters are committed to giving customers the most savory organic low-acid coffee ever tasted. So if you don’t love it, it will be free and you’ll be given a full refund.
- 100% Mexican Arabica beans.
- Works really easy on the stomach.
- Great tasting coffee with only a slightly bitter aftertaste.
- Coffee is on the pricier side.
- You might need to use twice as much ground for thicker coffee.
- Medium roasted beans.
- Neutrally pH-balanced coffee.
- Smooth and boldly flavored notes.
- Beans are sourced from Chiapas, Mexico.
Thompson’s Healthy Bean Organic Coffee
The Healthy Bean (HB) Espresso Roast by Thompson’s is an espresso roast that’ll surprise you with its full-bodied and well-rounded flavor profile. It’s also a low acidic, organic, healthy coffee blend! The specialty-grade coffee beans combined with the roasting process – HB lowers the acid content of their coffee beans by 5 times according to the pH levels. Also eliminates up to 50% of the Chlorogenic acid, one of the main culprits behind acid reflux, GERD, heartburn, and similar digestive problems.
HB organic coffee has 9.5 times more of the naturally occurring beneficial antioxidants also. These antioxidants play a key role in heart, brain, immune, and digestive functions. Unlike most of the traditional brands, HB is a USDA-certified organic coffee brand. Their coffee is also free of mold and mycotoxins – fitting their aim to deliver clean and healthy coffee.
- High-end gourmet coffee.
- Delicious coffee with rich flavor.
- Low-acid and gentle stomach-friendly coffee.
- Great if you have GERD or similar gut diseases.
- Highly-priced coffee.
- 5x lower in acidity.
- Low-acid and organic coffee.
- High in Antioxidants and free of mold and toxins.
Kava Reduced Acid Instant Coffee
Kava is a flavorful and smooth low acidic instant coffee. Kava comes with at least 50% less acid per cup of their coffee than other leading coffee brands. Made from premium beans, you’ll be able to enjoy the rich, full-bodied taste of the coffee and minus all the bitterness. For an even richer cup of coffee, you can add creamer, or pour over some ice cubes for a refreshing summer drink. No matter how, you can choose many ways to enjoy Kava, knowing your coffee has less acid. A real favorite among health-conscious coffee lovers. Also recommended for those who’re looking to avoid the effects of regular acidic coffee on the stomach, body, and health overall.
- Pure Colombian Arabica beans.
- The original low-acid blend since 1962.
- Rich, full-bodied taste with delicious flavor and aroma.
- Quite expensive coffee.
- Not always available in the local stores.
- Gluten-Free coffee.
- Gently roasted and OU Kosher certified.
- Contains 50% less Acid than any regular brand.
Sip Sip Hooray Low Acid Instant Coffee
With a combo of taste and convenience – this is the 1st instant coffee that’s made for people with GI (Gastrointestinal) conditions like Heartburn, Acid Reflux, GERD, IBS, and Interstitial Cystitis IC. You can drink this instant coffee for your hot and iced coffee more comfortably. Operating from Aliso Viejo, California, My Easy Foods is a group that is solely focused to make acid-neutralizing coffees that will give you a pain-free coffee experience. It’s way safer than your old-school low acid coffee or popping PPIs.
This coffee has acid-neutralizing ingredients such as – Calcium Glycerophosphate and Sodium Bicarbonate. Not only that, but their coffee is also diabetic, intermittent fasting, and Keto friendly. Their products have gut-calming Acacia Gum as well as essential electrolytes with Himalayan Pink Salt and Potassium.
- Deep color and robust flavor.
- Ideal for both iced and hot coffee.
- Diabetic, intermittent fasting, and Keto-friendly coffee brand.
- Sparsely available brand in various retail stores.
- No added sugar.
- French Vanilla flavored.
- Spray-dried crystalized coffee.
- MCT-free and non-GMO coffee.
- 100% Colombian Arabica beans.
- Acid neutralizing special ingredient Calcium Glycerophosphate.
HealthWise Low Acid Coffee
HealthWise Gourmet Coffee exclusively uses the best coffee with low acidity, yes, you’ve guessed it – the Colombian Arabica Supremo beans. The Colombian Arabica is one of the highest grades of coffee beans available around. They also roast the coffee in small batches to preserve the best quality and consistency.
The roasting process eliminates high acidity and irritants, making it eligible for those who suffer from heartburn or stomach conditions. The roasting process also eliminates bitterness and harshness instead of flavors. Such engineering leaves a rich and mellow taste with all the original minerals and micro-nutrients from this coffee. You can refrigerate HealthWise Gourmet coffee for up to 1 week. You’ll be able to make 110 cups out of a 12-ounce can.
- From pure Colombian Arabica beans.
- Delicious coffee that has zero bitterness.
- High in micronutrients and essential minerals.
- Unadulterated and no harshness after brewing.
- Can be a stronger coffee for many.
- Roast level is inconsistent, some are medium and the others are dark roasted.
- Medium roasted.
- Low pH level coffee.
- 100% Colombian Arabica beans.
- Kosher certified and the Vatican endorsed.
Lucy Jo’s Organic Mellow Belly Low Acid Original Blend
Lucy Jo’s Coffee is a family-run and certified organic coffee roastery based in rural upstate New York. They specialize in roasting high-quality organic coffees in small batches. Lucy Jo’s Organic Mellow Belly is a low-acid blend and it’s a favorite among their customers.
Each ingredient coffee in their blends can stand as a single origin solidly. They source the best quality 100% organic Arabica green coffee to meet health concerns. Their hands-on approach to small-batch coffee roasting allows freshness with optimum flavor. There are a variety of roast levels and blends you can choose from. But this Organic Mellow Belly Low Acid Blend with medium-dark roast seems to be one of their top rated low acid coffee.
- Uses 100% Arabica coffee beans.
- Applies small-batch roasting process.
- 100% Certified Organic low-acid coffee.
- Earthy, smooth, and sweet with a hint of spice.
- More on the expensive side.
- Medium-dark roasted.
- Earthy flavor with a hint of spice.
- Mix of Indonesian and Brazilian beans.
Low Acid Coffee Buying Tips
Since you’ve seen our recommended low-acid coffee list, it’s time to go shopping! Coffee is a subjective thing – as some can cherish flavorless and bitter tones while others can cherish exactly the opposite. We’ve added a few tips to help you recognize and pick good-quality low-acid coffee.
All the low-acid coffee starts with the choice of beans. There’re 2 factors to check for low-acid coffee beans. The first one is – it has to the Arabica beans. Most of the superior-grade low-acid coffees are made from Arabica beans. The other factor is where it’s grown. Lower altitude farms tend to have lower concentrations of acid and the plants are grown under less stress. That’s why, Hawaiian, Nicaraguan, Indonesian, and Brazilian low-elevation Arabica beans for good low-acid coffee.
Obviously, this comes after the beans part. Always look for medium to medium-dark roasted coffee beans for low acidity. Because the longer coffee beans are roasted, the more they release the oils, caffeine, and acidity out of the beans. Thus, best low acid coffees are mostly dark roasted coffee.
Grounds VS Whole Beans
After bean roast level you can either go for pre-ground or whole beans. Ultimately, it comes down to your brewing preference. Whole beans do tend to retain their potency longer. Pre-ground coffee is on the other hand makes brewing simpler for the people. Also, you can buy good pre-ground coffee at the cheap. Do note that, pre-ground beans go stale quickly. So avoid buying them in large quantities.
Low-acid coffee is a specialty coffee, thus it’s costlier. But spending extra can here will make a difference, especially if you have related health problems. Check for all the required qualities and don’t rush into picking one.
Which Coffee Is Least Acidic?
Medium to medium-dark roasted Arabica beans is the least acidic.
How Do You Make Coffee Less Acidic?
Adding milk and using paper filters can make coffee less acidic.
Does Dark Roast Coffee Have Less Acid?
Yes, they’re less acidic because they contain fewer compounds that cause our stomach cells to produce acid.
Which Roast Of Coffee Is Healthiest?
Dark roasted coffees are the healthiest as they contain fewer acids and more antioxidants.
Is Americano Less Acidic Than Coffee?
An Americano, a diluted espresso is less acidic than regular drip coffee.
Coffee is for everyone. The inability to handle its acidity shouldn’t be an obstacle with all of these low-acid and acid-free brands; especially those we’ve mentioned in this review. And finally, for those who want to avoid acidity in their coffee anyway, we’ve shown the easy ways to decrease the acidity in your coffee also and without diminishing all the wonderful flavors and aromas. So with proper guidance, you can enjoy one of life’s greatest pleasures, and you don’t have to relegate yourself to the realm of decaf coffee either.
Enjoy Your Coffee!