A stout, precise, and quieter coffee grinder with café ground-quality capabilities. The Ode was designed to bring perfection to your daily brewed coffee. It grinds specifically for pour-over, cold brew, AeroPress, French press, and more. This stunning grinder is aimed at manual brewing methods. Features include 64 mm flat steel burrs, single-dose loading, quick noiseless grinding, an auto-stop program, and a tiny footprint. Let’s not make you wait anymore and take a dive into this Fellow Ode Brew Grinder review!
- Grind Quality And Accuracy
- Deliberate Design And Details
- Perfect Home Grinder
- 64 MM Steel Flat Burrs
- Reduced Grind Noise
- Single Dose Loading
- Smart And Speedy PID Motor
- Grinds Knocker
- Auto-Stop Function
- 1 Year Warranty
Fellow Ode Brew Grinder Review: The Key Features
Grind Quality And Accuracy
Grind consistency and quality are the 2 key factors to a great-tasting cup of Joe. With this Ode grinder, precise bean particle sizing is achieved with a push of a button.
Combined with its café-sized flat burrs and simple grind adjustment with 11 modes and 31 levels in between. With a total of 42 settings, you can easily find and set Ode’s coffee bean grinds. The low settings will give you perfect consistency and fineness for early-morning pour-over. Do a coarser grind for a rich, robust cold brew or French press.
Deliberate Design And Details
The magnetically aligned catch adds to its cleanliness. The grinds knocker reduces the grind retention. And the easy pour fins ensure a smooth transition. All of these carefully engineered stacked features set the Ode grinder apart from the pack.
Perfect Home Grinder
Ode will transform your coffee chore into a quieter, quicker, and more enjoyable coffee-making experience. It scraps the oversized hopper and does noise-reduced grinding. As a result, your countertop will remain spotless.
64 MM Steel Flat Burrs
Ode installed professional-grade 64 mm stainless steel flat burrs. This burr is quite big in size as a lot of burr grinders give 55 mm burrs. Ode’s burr reduces the grind time as well as heat generation. But at the same time, it increases the grind particle consistency.
Reduced Grind Noise
We would say in the Ode Brew Grinder review, this feature is the most underrated one. No more annoying grind noise in the morning. Ode’s use of high-quality materials to negate the noisy gearbox will ensure quietness. The Ode grinder utilizes a number of noise-dampening technologies inside its body to turn this grinder as quiet as you can hope for.
Single Dose Loading
Ode wants you to grind what you need to avoid unnecessary waste of coffee beans and grind right before you brew the coffee. They chopped off the space-hogging bean hopper to limit exposure to oxygen which causes staleness to your fresh beans.
Smart And Speedy PID Motor
A PID feedback-controlled motor runs at an incredible 1400 RPM. As a result, it exposes every bean to the evenly distributed grinder force and speed that ensures quality and consistency.
Another innovative but small technique for ease of use! A high-force spring knocks any leftover coffee grinds and chaff right into the catch. So, now you have less mess and low grind retention from it.
Ode grinder knows exactly when the very last bean has been ground. Thus, it can automatically turn itself off. So, no more revving noise, wastage of electricity, and potential for any accident.
1 Year Warranty
Fellow’s outstanding customer service is tasked with customer satisfaction and they are always ready to help before and after your purchase. Hence, Ode provides a warranty against any defects for 1 year after the original date of your purchase.
Pros And Cons
- Reduced grind noise
- Compact and stylish build
- Convenience for creative grind challenges
- The outstanding grind quality and consistency
- Professional-grade 64 mm stainless steel-made flat burr
- Groundbreaking additional features and attention to detail
- Precision single-dose brewing with excellent grind consistency
- Can’t deal with static properly
- Ode’s sensitive electronic parts are issue-prone
- Overall, moderately narrow-ranged grind settings
- Needed a bit more room for the finest grind levels
- For 1st-time consumers, this grinder may appear expensive
- ODE BREW GRINDER - A powerful, precise, and quieter home coffee grinder with café capabilities, Ode was designed to perfect your daily brewed coffee; grind grounds specifically for AeroPress, pour-over, French press, cold brew, and more
- CAFE PERFORMANCE FOR YOUR COUNTERTOP - Grind what you need right before you brew with Ode's single dose hopper for maximum bean freshness; This coffee grinder has professional-grade 64 mm flat burrs that deliver consistently ground coffee beans
- PRECISION GRIND QUALITY - With 11 settings and 31 steps in between, easily adjust Ode’s coffee bean grind settings; Use the low settings to get the perfect consistency and fineness for your morning pour-over, or go for a more coarse grind to make a rich, robust French press or cold brew
- COFFEE BAR ACCESSORY - Ode transforms a morning chore into a quicker, quieter, and more enjoyable coffee-making experience; This sophisticated and modernly designed coffee grinder will turn your countertop into a barista's coffee corner
- FULL 1 YEAR WARRANTY - Fellow's outstanding customer service team is here to make sure you are satisfied with your purchase; Ode is warranted against any defects due to faulty material or workmanship for one year after the original date of consumer purchase
How To Use
- Wipe its exterior body with a soft, damp fabric
- Always unplug the power cord from your power outlet before performing any cleaning
- Wipe the magnetically aligned catch and its lid. Make sure to let them dry up thoroughly
- Always keep the grinder on a level surface while operating and plug it into a correct voltage
- Discard all the stickers, cable ties, descriptive labels, and packing materials
- Before cleaning, run the grinder for only 10 seconds without any coffee beans. It will clear any residues and grinds the chute from the burrs
How To Grind
Since, we’ve already cleared the specs, features, and pros and cons of the Fellow Grinder review; let’s shed light on its grinding procedure.
- Select a grind size by twisting the grinds dial left or right. 1 being the fine setting and 11 being coarse
- Please remember not to do setting 1 for your first 10 pounds of coffee. Because the burrs will chirp and hit each other while at it
- Your grinder is already calibrated with its “zero point” – the level where the burrs touch at setting 1
- As the burrs become seasoned, the burr’s touch mode will drift slightly. It’s normal to be so and with time, you should expect these settings to shift a bit coarser
- Remove the bean hopper lid from the single-dose load bin
- Pour the desired amount of whole roasted coffee beans right into the bean hopper. The load bin can take in a maximum of 80 grams / 2.8 ounces. Put the lid back on
- Check if the catch is fully underneath the chute and is empty
- Without emptying the catch, do not grind more than 80 grams of coffee. Otherwise, the catch will be overfilled and will jam the grinder
- Press the power button. The grinder will begin grinding and will also stop automatically once the beans are done grinding
- You can also press and hold the power button for over 1.5 seconds. This way, the grinder will keep grinding until the button is released
Cleaning And Maintenance
- If you use this grinder daily, then the burrs should be cleaned every 3 months
- Use tablets for the cleaning (see below in the Automatic Cleaning section). Alternatively, use a stiff brush to clean after every use
- Remove the burrs before you try to clean them. Read the “Removing and Replacing Burrs” section from the official user manual
- Do not soak the grinder in water and do not wash the burrs with water
- Never put your fingers into the grind chute while the machine is plugged in
- Using the given cleaning brush. Clean and brush off the coffee dust gently off of the burrs
- Replace the burrs back on accordingly. Following the instructions from the manual
- To wash the grinder catch, wipe it gently with a soft fabric and soapy warm water. They wipe off with a dry cloth after cleaning
- Wipe the grinder exterior and the load bin with a damp soft cloth
Whether it’s an espresso machine or a grinder, we always provide how to clean the machine. And Ode Grinder review is no exception from that.
- A fast but thorough way to clean this grinder is using the grinder cleaning tablets. You can use Urnex Grindz grinder cleaning tablets
- These tablets are designed to clean clogging by freeing up the coffee particles that are stuck to the burrs. Also, they absorb and remove odors as well as coffee oil residue
- To use the cleaning tablets, first, make sure all the coffee beans are run through the grinder. Just run the machine for 10-20 seconds to ensure that
- Use the cleaning tablet instructions and put an appropriate amount into the grinder
- Adjust the grind setting to 11 (max). Now press the power button and run the grinder
- Let the tablets ground and fall into the catch
- Once done, grind approximately 30 grams of coffee beans to discard any tablet residue
- Discard that ground tablet and coffee mix from the catch and clean the catch
Clearing The Jammed Grinder
Occasionally, the Ode Brew Grinder may get jammed and stop functioning. When this happens, the grinder will not grind before it has finished all the coffee beans inside the hopper. And will keep beeping “SOS” (Save our ship).
The minor jams can be cleared by the following steps:
- Check if the catch is empty
- Turn the grinds dial to the 11th setting
- Tap the grinder several times firmly on the side and shake
- Press the power button then. Continue (for several seconds) to firmly tap the side of the grinder
- Grinding will resume if the jam is cleared. If not, proceed to the next set of instructions below
Major jams can be cleared by following these steps:
- First, unplug the grinder
- Remove the burrs by following the manual
- Clear and discard coffee residue from the grinds chamber
- Check if the burrs caught any beans or foreign materials (like sticks, rocks, or unroasted beans)
- If so, remove the stuck material(s) and proceed to clean the burrs as instructed in the manual
- Reinstall the burrs and run the grinder without coffee for 5 seconds. See if it’s operating as expected
- The grinder should spin evenly and quietly. If you hear any unexpected noise, repeat the process and clear all the coffee particles
- If the problem keeps persisting, please contact Fellow customer service
Why You Should Get One…
- So far, from the Ode Brew Grinder review, we can safely say that Ode Grinder has a lot to like. The compact and beautiful design, unmatched clarity, fast uniform grinding, auto-halt, and easy-to-use daily – the characteristics of a fantastic brewing experience, are all present in Ode
- The wide array of impressive grind settings and levels with the professional-grade 64mm steel flat burrs, single-dose loading, and quiet grinding – the functions are here to take the hassle off of you
- We would recommend using this grinder for those who want to brew with manual methods and who love dark-roasted coffee beans
Our Ode coffee grinder review will also underline some of the drawbacks that we believe you should be aware of…
Why You Should Not Get One…
- If your love exclusive brewing for espressos, Moka pot, and the AeroPress, you should not buy Ode Brew Grinder
- If you’re really short on cash and not ready for a higher-end grinder, and manual grinding isn’t your thing, avoid buying this grinder
- If you already have a burr grinder with your espresso machine, there’s no reason to succumb to the trend and buy a separate grinder
The Fellow Ode grinder is an absolute joy to use, especially for those who love pour-over. It’s slick, simple, and gives good quality grind. Features like the auto shut-off and the magnetized grinds bin holder make it a total no-hassle and minimal mess maker grind machine.
We also love that the Fellow Ode grinder does not have a load of electrics that more likely than not, go wrong, and cause a lot of headaches. It’s arguably not the least expensive grinder on the market for its type of use. But the great quality and the beautiful piece of design that you’ll be getting at the same time will be your money’s worth. We hope that our Ode Brew Grinder review will guide you to a better future experience.