Who doesn’t love the refreshing aroma of coffee? Your coffee making game doesn’t solely depend on your skills. Choosing the right beans is an integral part of the taste and smell of the coffee.
Cold brew coffee is famous for its distinctive smooth taste with less bitterness. The acidity in cold brew coffee is less than hot ones. However, they’re no less in terms of aroma and taste compared to the hot ones.
Not all coffee beans deliver the same flavor and richness. You need to choose the right beans to take your cold brew game to the next level. Let’s move forward with the article and find out the best coffee beans for cold brew.
Our Top Picks for Best Coffee Beans for Cold Brew
Before diving into the detailed reviews, have a quick look on the list of best coffee for cold brew we are gonna review here.
Bizzy Organic Cold Brew Coffee
This is our first choice for best coffee for cold brew.
Bizzy Organic Cold Brew Coffee is specially optimized for cold brewing and a pure Arabica coffee. The beans are sourced from direct Peru and Nicaragua which are a mixture of light, medium, and dark roast beans. The special feature of this coarse ground coffee is that it has low acidity.
Another great feature of this smooth and sweet blended coffee is that it contains Caramel and hazelnut flavor retention that will give you a sweet finish. Certified as 100% organic by USDA, Bizzy Organic Coffee will give you a consistent and smooth cold-brewing experience.
Overall, Bizzy Organic Coffee that weighs 1 lb. is a perfect choice to be used in cold brews and promises to satisfy the palettes. Although it may come as strong to some people, the smooth and sweet finish will give you a pure delight. This medium roast coffee beans can be your best choice for cold brew coffee beans.
- ENGINEERED FOR COLD BREW - Coarse ground coffee optimized for cold brewing to give you a consistent, extra smooth cold brew
- BREW YOUR WAY - Brew your cold brew how you would like. Add more water for a less strong cold brew or less water for a stronger beverage.
- 100% ORGANIC - USDA Organic, ethically sourced coffee from Guatemala, Peru, and Nicaragua.
- SMOOTH AND SWEET - Arabica beans roasted medium with notes of caramel and hazelnut.
- BIZZY COFFEE FOR BUSY PEOPLE - Mastering the cold brew craft, Bizzy Coffee will give you the highest quality cold brew coffee at the best price
Tiny Footprint Coffee – Organic Cold Press Elixir
The first thing Tiny Footprint Coffee always preaches is that they are the world’s first carbon-negative coffee. It actually refers to: for every pound that will be sold, they will donate for reforestation in Ecuador. The beans are pure shade-grown and 100% organic that has a cocoa-like body alongside subtle bright fruit notes.
Tiny Footprint Coffee is perfectly crafted for a cold brew with its light roast and dark roasted beans. The not too light and not too strong bold mellow flavor makes it a perfect cold-brewed coffee. Sweet, silky richness with floral and fruity toned flavor profiles make tiny footprint coffee bean one of the best coffee for cold brew.
They use German-manufactured drum roasters to ensure consistent roast coffee and feature spikes of the best coffee from Ethiopia.
The manufacturer tends to make all the processing as eco-friendly as possible and promises to give outstanding taste in each sip. Balanced flavors make it a top choice for best beans for cold brew coffee around the globe.
- FLAVOR PROFILE: Sweet, silky richness with subtle bright fruit and floral tones infused in a cocoa like body.
- ORGANIC: 100% Organic Shade-Grown Arabica Coffee
- COLD BREW BLEND: A blend crafted perfectly for cold brew -- our Cold Press Elixir is a mix of our light and dark roasts spiked with our best Ethiopian coffees.
- CRAFT ROASTED in our vintage 90 kilo German-built Probat drum roaster retrofitted with modern fuel-efficient ribbon burners, delivering perfectly roasted coffee every time
- THE PERFECT BREW: Each pound brews 1.35 gallons of ready-to-drink cold brew (1:6 brew ratio and 1:1 dilution)
Stone Street Coffee Cold Brew Reserve
Our this pick is for you all the way from South America. Colombian coffee is world-famous for its substantial body and rich flavors. Stone Street Coffee has a hint of floral and tropical fruit in its taste and aroma. With a good finish and low acidity level, it appeals to the customers nonetheless.
Stone Street Coffee offers a pouch that weighs 1 LB full of crafted beans that are perfect for cold brewing. The Colombian Supremo pure arabica roasted beans will give you a well-balanced taste that isn’t either too light or too strong. The dark roast and coarse ground beans ensure a slower extraction and give off a slightly smooth and sweet taste.
Another great feature the product exhibits is that it comes in a resealable pouch with three layers in it. The pouch is made with foil lining that preserves the ground beans and its flavors for a long time.
- CRAFTED FOR COLD BREWING – Our cold brew coffee blend uses fresh gourmet arabica coffee beans from Colombia. You can coarse grind them right before brewing for the freshest flavor. Perfect for using in your at-home cold brew coffee maker or system, French press, pitcher, or mason jar.
- DARK ROAST COLOMBIAN SUPREMO – Our beans are classified as ‘supremo’ which are the largest and highest quality beans from Colombia. When these beans are dark roasted, it brings out the nutty/chocolate notes and makes the most delicious tasting cold brew coffee.
- STRONG & SMOOTH BLEND – Our coffee is specially formulated to make a bold, balanced, low-acid, slightly sweet cold brew or iced coffee. You can easily adjust the strength to make it extra strong (more coffee or longer brewing time) or even lighter (more water).
- 1 LB RESEALABLE BAG (16 Ounce) – Our 3-layer natural kraft bag is foil-lined and has a one-way valve for optimal coffee freshness. The wide top opening makes for easy scooping and the seal keeps your one pound of coffee fresh. Our premium packaging makes the perfect gift for the special coffee lover in your life.
- FRESHLY ROASTED IN BROOKLYN, NYC – Stone Street Coffee Company is specialty small-batch roaster, we’ve been making artisanal coffee since 2009.
Cold Brew Lab Organic Coarse Ground
Cold Brew Lab coffee has been specially crafted for cold brewing. The name of the product says it all. It is 100 % Arabica Columbia with ground beans. The beans get a dark roast which later makes them able for a thorough brewing extraction.
The product is certified by the USDA as purely organic. Cold Brew Lab coffee offers a well-balanced taste with silky flavors and low in acidity.
The mixture of the medium and dark roast will give you a bold yet suitable drinking experience. You can get both types of products that will give you the option of grinding the beans by yourself at home or get a pre-ground coffee.
Cold Brew Lab always promises to bring the best ground beans to the customers. You will experience smooth sips of coffee yet a bold and flavorful taste. If you are up for making a mild cup of cold-brewed coffee, then Cold Brew Lab is a perfect choice for best cold brew coffee beans.
- CUSTOM CRAFTED FOR COLD BREWING: Look no further for the perfect coarse coffee grounds for making cold brew coffee. We source, roast, & blend our beans for optimal cold (slow) brew extraction – creating a strong and bold taste with well-rounded, smooth, low acidic, & full bodied flavor.
- ORGANIC 100% ARABICA COLOMBIAN COFFEE: We only use pesticide free USDA certified organic coffee because we care about the quality of our product. Specialty-grade, 100% Arabica, Colombian Supremo.
- DARK ROAST BLEND: We use a blend of medium & dark roasted coffee beans to create a unique roast level that is perfect for cold brewed coffee flavor. This creates a cup that is extremely smooth, yet bold & flavorful.
- WHOLE BEAN & EXTRA COARSE GRIND OPTIONS: We offer both products to give you the option of grinding yourself at home OR starting with our pre-ground coffee.
- FRESHLY ROASTED IN NYC: Cold Brew Lab is an artisan specialty coffee roaster located in the city that never sleeps – New York City, NY USA. We roast and package our coffee bags right before shipping so it arrives fresh to your doorstep.
STONE COLD JO Cold Brew Coffee Blend
Our #5 choice for the best cold brew coffee is slightly different from others. This coffee is picked up from the top 2% of beans around the world.
If you’re looking for a light smooth cup of coffee then look no further, this baby is the one for you. It has a low acidity level with a hint of toffee caramel flavor to take your taste buds for a joyride.
The caramelization from the natural sugar will give you a smooth rich flavor on every sip.
The Stole Cold Jo is completely eco-friendly and it is Fair Trade Certified as well. They make no compromise when it comes to the taste and the quality of the beans. Through a team of experts, they carefully source All-Arabica raw coffee from around the world.
For the perfect cold brew, prepare a 4:1 water to coffee ratio. Stir it and refrigerate it for at least 12 hours. You can use the coffee for hot brews as well. Just put the coarse ground coffee into a press brewer and steep it for about 4-5 minutes.
- STONE COLD JO PROFESSIONAL CUPPING NOTES: SILKY SMOOTH | LOW ACIDITY | DARK ROAST | HINTS OF TOFFEE CARAMEL CHOCOLATE GRAPE | Descriptive flavor terms are naturally occurring undertones in the coffee and no flavors are added.
- Each batch of this fresh roasted organic coffee is hand-crafted, by artisan coffee roasters, in our micro-roastery.
- Available in 12 oz or a 2 lb money-saving package, both packaged with resealable tin-tie for convenient storage. For a cold brew we recommend a 4:1 water to coarse ground coffee ratio in a cold brewing device, French press or Mason jar. Adjust ratio as desired. Stir, cover, refrigerate 12+ hours then press/filter. Enjoy plain or with your favorite flavoring. For a hot brew we recommend using 2 tablespoons of ground coffee to 6 oz of water for optimal extraction with most brewing methods.
- Our organic coffee is specialty grade coffee, which is the top 2% specialty grade of organic Arabica raw coffee. This specialty grade coffee is sourced worldwide through direct sourcing and through a dedicated team of coffee cupping experts. Not all coffee is created equal.
- This coffee is USDA Certified Organic, Fair Trade Certified, and Kosher Certified. Contact us for our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
Inspired Coffee Co. French Vanilla
This one is a godsend for those who’re into flavored coffee. The manufacturer selects the freshest coffee after a scrutinized selection process. The coffee beans are roasted and processed in a special way to deliver a rich creamy taste. Their trick is to use large dark coarse ground coffee to maximize the flavor while keeping the acidity level low.
It has a sweet silky aroma with a note of vanilla that will give you an ethereal feel on every sip. You will get a nutty undertone that will surely give a kick start to your day. They use 100% Arabica beans that are specially sourced from Columbia.
The beans for cold brew come in a degassing bag to retain the freshness of the coffee for a long time. The 12 oz. pack will last you quite a while as you can create a creamy rich concentration with only two spoons of coffee.
- INSPIRED COFFEE CO: The cold brew that inspires you.
- 12 oz. RESEALABLE BAG: Our stand up resealable bag includes a degassing valve to maintain freshness.
- COLD BREW: Specially crafted to create excellent cold brew and iced coffee.
- COFFEE ORIGIN: Single origin, coarse ground Colombian Supremo - 100% Arabica.
- Our French Vanilla has nutty undertones.
Metropolis Coffee Company – Cold Brew Blend
This sweet chocolaty elixir with incredible aroma will surely give you a heavenly feeling on earth. If you’re not a fan of coarse coffee grounds then this is a perfect choice for you as it comes in whole bean form. It comes in a 12oz. pack and the price is slightly steeper than the other ones reviewed.
Metropolis Coffee was titled the Roaster of the Year in 2007. All their beans are carefully picked from the world’s premium growing regions. The beans are 100% Arabica and a blend of different South American coffees. This coffee is specifically designed for cold brewing for the sweet luscious taste on every sip.
The whole beans deliver a complex flavor profile. The dark roast gives a subtle earthiness to it and provides a smooth sweet aftertaste. One of the best features of the Metropolis Coffee is that it’s roasted in order to ensure maximum freshness.
- Sweet and chocolatey
- Smooth, roasty finish
- Designed for cold brew methods only
- Roasted to order
- 2007 Roaster of the year
Hugo Coffee Ground Dog Daze
An interesting feature of this product is that for each packet of Hugo Coffee is sold, a homeless dog gets funding for getting shelter and food. This product is specially made for a cold brew with a full-body flavor.
The coffee beans are suitable for making any kind of coffee drinks as it contains flavors like chocolate, nuts, and spices. You will get carried away with the taste that comes from the hand-selected and roasted arabica beans.
The packaging system is also well crafted and it ensures top-notch preservation. The roasting process of the beans is being done by less energy with higher efficiency before packaging so that it remains fresh. Hugo Coffee also provides good customer service.
This product is solely dedicated to saving dogs as a part of the environment. Their campaign and marketing of the product say it loud too. If you want to have a great coffee experience as well as save homeless and endangered dogs out of kindness, then this product is the perfect choice for you.
- HUGO COFFEE DOG DAZE COLD BREW – With this jolt at the ready, surviving the dog days of Summer is a breeze; Bring the coffee shop experience straight to your kitchen and onto your campsite with hand selected and meticulously roasted beans making it easier than ever make your own top quality, cold brew concentrate
- ENJOY A CUP AND SAVE A PUP - Proceeds from every bag of Hugo Coffee sold support dog rescue organizations; We collaborate with our retail partners on adoption and education events, and hold our own fundraisers to give back
- FRESH QUALITY COFFEE - Committed to fair trade through ensuring health and happiness of everyone involved in our manufacturing process; Safe and sustainable roasting by heating the organic beans with a combination of natural gas and infrared heat, using less energy than traditional coffee roasters, and creating a more consistent result
- COFFEE WITH A PAWS - Good coffee and saving dogs, that's what we do; Every time your drink a cup of Hugo Coffee, you're saving dogs; Proceeds from each retail bag sold help feed dogs in shelters, so enjoy a cup, save a pup, and turn your daily ritual into an act of kindness
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - We back our beans with excellent and personalized customer service when purchased from Hugo Coffee Amazon FBA
Important Factors for a Cold Brew Coffee
You’re probably wondering that you’re putting no heat so does the temperature really matter? Well, yes it does. The perfect temperature for a cold brew is 36°-70° Fahrenheit (2-21 degree Celsius). The standard room temperature water may not be good(*room temperature varies place to place).
The low temperature gives the brew its unique and distinct flavor notes. You need to soak the coffee grounds for at least 10-12 hours to avail of the rich smooth texture.
- Slow Drip Method vs Immersion Method
You can make cold brew using both slow drip process and immersion procedure.
The immersion process is generally favored by the homebrewers. All you need is a coffee filter, brewing vessel, and some coffee grounds for the immersion. You can use a French press as a brewing vessel.
The advantage of using a French press is that it already has a filter in it. However, you can use any glass jar or mason jar for the process.
After immersing the coarse grounds into cold water. Refrigerate it for about 12 hours and strain once the water has soaked up the essence from the coffee grounds.
The final brew will be concentrated so mix up some more cold water to make it as per your choice.
Slow drip is a slightly more complex process than immersion. For many coffee enthusiasts, brewing is a challenging and exciting procedure.
You need a slow drip coffee brewer for this process. Since the final brew is not immersed for hours, it’s less concentrated.
The brewing process takes around 3-6 hours to create a light rich flavored coffee.
The market is saturated and it is difficult for a person to choose the right product. For this reason, we have pointed out some of the parameters that will help you to buy the right product for you. Let’s take a quick look at it.
- Best quality beans
Cold brewing method brings the total taste out of the coffee bean. For this reason, you should select the best quality of coffee beans to get the best caffeine experience. You can look up to different sites on the internet to get a vast idea about coffee beans.
- Degree of Roast
The aroma and flavor of a coffee vastly depend on how the beans have been roasted. Most of the people prefer a medium or dark roasted bean as it is quite evident that they are the best coffee roast for cold brew.
The dark and medium roast brings out the rich flavors of the beans while the cold brew soothes the bitterness, and makes it smooth.
- Single-Origin or Blend
Besides medium and dark roast beans, there are also some criteria that we should look into. Most of the people agree that single origin coffee beans are best for cold brewing process. Single origin beans comes from single place, so the purity is quite unquestionable.
- Grinding Method
For cold brewing method, the selection of grinding methods is the most vital point. Coarse grinding is the most suitable method of grinding for cold brewing process. The beans remain larger and remain stuck in the filter and do not enter the cup as sediment.
You should use a good burr grinder for perfect grind size.
How to Make the Perfect Cold Brew?
You don’t need to be a trained barista to make a great cuppa joe. You don’t need any ninja skills as you can make an excellent cold brew using some simple techniques. The first step is to combine coarse ground coffee with water. No, leave it around overnight or for at least 12 hours.
The coffee will gradually infuse the water and create a strong concentrated brew during this time. The slow infusion process will grasp all the flavor from the beans while leaving behind the elements that make the coffee bitter and sour.
After 12 hours or so, strain the mixture to separate the coffee grounds. You will get a smooth rich flavor that’s perfect for cold coffee.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Cold Brew Coffee Healthier?
Cold brew coffee contains many compounds that are helpful for our health. In a study, it was found that cold brew coffee helps to increase our metabolism rate by 11%. Also, caffeine helps to reduce the depression rate by about 8%. Cold brew coffee contains many elements that lower the rate of heart diseases and stabilizes blood sugar levels.
Can you make decaf cold brew?
Yes, absolutely. Decaf coffee has a lower caffeine concentration. To make decaf cold brew, all you need is a French press, coffee grounds, and water. A coffee press has a filter that will help to strain out the coffee grounds and reduce the caffeine level. You can use some heavy cream to make a delicious Starbucks like coffee using these simple ingredients and processes.
Are iced coffee and cold brew the same thing?
Cold brew refers to the process or mechanism used in making the coffee, not the temperature. To make a cold brew, you need to soak the coffee grounds or beans for at least 10-12 hours to extract the flavor from it. The final product is a smooth sweet flavor with a lot less acidity than warm brew. The reason behind the long soaking time is to properly extract the sugar, caffeine, and oils from the beans. Iced coffee on the other hand uses hot water to extract the flavor from the coffee. The extraction is poured over ice cubes to make the iced coffee.
Coffee isn’t merely a drink, it’s rather a magic elixir for some people. However, a low-quality coffee bean can mess up the taste, especially for cold brew coffee. Cold-brew coffee needs to have the perfect balance between sweetness and the acidity level.
Coffee subscription is getting more popular among coffee aficionados. Coffee lovers prefer specialty cared coffee beans rather than supermarket coffee. They also give pro tip to home brewers. One of the leading club is atlas coffee club.
The market is filled with different blends and brews. It’s a nightmare to find the best coffee beans for cold brew among them. However, with careful research and many reviews from the consumers, we picked our top choice. Give one of them a try and we promise that your morning will shine brighter.
Enjoy Your Coffee!!