Breville’s array of drip brewers, espresso machines, and grinders aim to make gastronome coffee effortless in the home. From the perfect beginner espresso machine to powerful, smart brewers. Breville offers something for all. Founded in 1932, Breville is famed for making espresso grinders, machines, and drip brewers that embrace dependability without forgoing performance.
With the Breville Barista Touch espresso maker, the ambition of becoming your own barista has never been so easy. From a built-in grinder to an automatic temp-sensing steam wand; the Barista Touch is constructed from the ground up to rationalize your espresso experience. New attributes of the Breville Barista model include an upgraded thermocoil design for quicker heat-up periods and a crystal-clear touchscreen display for customizing your preferred drink recipes. So let’s jump into the nitty-gritty of the Breville Barista Touch review.
Breville Barista Touch Review: Key Features
- Enjoy café quality drinks with the intuitive touchscreen display and pre-programmed cafe drinks
- Precise espresso extraction with digital temperature control for optimal flavor
- Fast heat-up time – ready to make coffee in just 3 seconds
- Automatic micro-foam milk texturing for delicious lattes and cappuccinos
The Breville Barista Touch espresso machine is using the 4 keys formula and offers third-wave specialty coffee at home.
- Rich, full flavor
- Perfectly balanced taste
- Irresistible body
- Silky, velvety mouthfeel
It is part of the Barista series that extends all to one espresso machine. The Barista line allows us to create top-notch coffee drinks like coffee shops at home. Frothing barista-quality microfoam, and creating latte art has never been so easy. This series is built with integrated grinders. The grinder helps you to go from beans to espresso in under a minute.
Dose Control Grinding
With a solitary touch, the precision fused conical burr grinder with dose control gives the accurate amount of coffee on demand ensuring maximum flavor. By using the right dose, the machine brings out true coffee shop quality results featuring incredible aroma, intense flavors, and distinctive character of the coffee.
With the help of this coffee machine, you can easily get the espresso grounds directly to the portafilter. As the portafilter positions suitably in a cradle, it is simple to grind to it instantly. Since the length of the grind is synchronized for each drink, it will finally halt as soon as the time has finished. Hands-free operation allows any at-home barista to extract a great coffee.
Optimal Water Pressure
Low-pressure pre-infusion eventually rises pressure at the start. It helps during the extraction to bring out all the flavors evenly for a balanced-tasting drink. Breville uses ClaroSwiss Water Filter for the Barista series and some other machines. Keeps your water fresh and machine clean.
Personalized Espresso Settings
It is quite significant to have full control while you make your coffee. For this purpose, this machine provides a programmable and self-modified feature – personalized coffee settings. You can easily make customized coffees and also save up to 8 custom drinks. Also, the Breville Barista Touch espresso machine made it simple to save with a name you like. On top of that, you can program the milk foam, dose, milk temperature, shot time, and so on.
Faster Heat-Up Time
Modern ThermoJet heating system secures the ideal extraction temperature in just 3 seconds. Saves your time to make your desired coffee drink.
Automatic Milk Texturing
An automated steam wand lets the user adjust the milk texture as well as the temperature to fit his/her taste. Enabling barista quality micro-foam that amps up the flavor of your coffee. Thousands of tiny milk bubbles, enhance the flavor and mouthfeel of your coffee drink. This is important for making perfect latte art at your home.
Precise Espresso Extraction
Digital temperature control also called the PID, delivers water at exactly the accurate temperature. Ensuring the ideal extraction of your perfect espresso. When you have control over the water temperature, you can choreograph the flavor notes. PID ensures you a perfectly ‘balanced’ taste.
The intuitive touchscreen display unravels how to brew your dearest café coffee in 3 steps. They are grinding, brewing, and milking. Easily shift the strength of a coffee, the texture of the milk, and the temperature to fit your taste. Brew and save as many as 8 self-modified coffees.
Technical Features Of Breville BES880BSS
The espresso machine weighs 23 lb and the dimensions are 12.7 x 15.5 x 16 inches. There is an 8-oz. removable bean hopper. The machine is engineered and designed in Australia and made in China. The product is meant for use in Canada and the United States and is constructed to the electrical standards of the United States. The machine runs on 1680 watts of power, 110 to 120 Volts. There is a two-year limited warranty.
You will get a 54mm full stainless steel-made portafilter, razor precision dose trimming tool. There is a 480ml Jug (Stainless Steel) to froth milk. The box features single and double-wall filter baskets. You will also get a Claroswiss water filter, water hardness test strip, and cleaning kit in the box.
The water tank capacity is 67 oz and the bean hopper is 1/2 lb. There are 5 pre-programmed café favorites included. You can create, name, and save 8 modified recipes with Breville Barista Touch. The coffee maker has the advantage of programmable milk texture and temperature. This enables hands-free milk texturing and an automatic cleaning function for the steam wand. You can select one or two shots as well as hot water.
There is more to this barista-grade espresso maker –
- Automate descaling and cleaning cycles
- Warming tray on top for heating up the cups
- When not in use storage tray stores accessories
- For tall glasses and mugs, extra-tall cup clearance
- A finger hole for simple withdrawal from the power outlet
- All parts that can be in contact with the coffee are BPA-free
- Italian-made pump for 15-bar consistent extraction pressure
- Adjustable from fine to coarse grind size for ideal extraction
- An automatic purge takes out residual milk from the steam wand
- Devoted hot water outlet. For preheating cups and making Americanos
- Disposable water filter for removing impurities and preventing scale buildup
- In the filter basket, the dry puck feature pulls out extra water from ground coffee after extraction for effortless disposal of the coffee puck
Care and Maintenance
Replacing The Water Filter
- Program current month
- Soak the filter for 5 minutes
- Assemble all of the water filter parts
- Ensure that the parts are connected
- Install the filter in the tank
- Now install the water tank
Replace the filter after using 40L or after 90 days. The water filter which is provided to prevent scale build-up in the multiple inner functioning parts. Replacing the water filter after every three months or 40L/10.6 US gal will cut down the need to descale your machine. The limit is 40L/10.6 US gal based on level 4 water hardness. If you are in an area of level 2 area, you can rise this up to 60L/16 US gal.
There will be a message alert when a cleaning cycle is needed. This is a back-flushing cycle which is different from descaling. Follow the guide on the screen.
If regularly used, the hard water can create mineral build-up. And it builds up both in and on many of the interior functioning parts. Damaging the brewing flow, the temperature of brewing, the power level, and the taste of your espresso. Even if you have used the proper water filter, we advise you to descale.
If you see any scale build-up inside the water tank. The Breville Barista Touch espresso maker has the ‘Settings’ option where you can select ‘Descale cycle’. Then simply follow the instructions on the display.
Transporting And Storing
Press the POWER tab to switch your machine off. Then unfasten the plug from the power outlet. Remove excess beans from the hopper. Clean your grinder, and empty out the drip tray and the water tank. Cool down the machine, dry and clean. Keep all tools in the storage tray and store them upright. Do not keep anything on top of this machine.
How To Use Breville BES880BSS Barista Touch Espresso Machine
- To turn the machine on, press the POWER button
- Follow the directive on display to guide you through the first-use setup
- After finishing setup, the machine will signal to you that it is set to use
- Touch the “Guide” option. The machine will guide you to make your first cup of coffee step by step. Touch the “tick” sign. Then go to the Drinks Menu. Or the left arrow to repeat the setup. You can repeat the Guide at any time. Just go to the settings menu for such
Note: If your water hardness is found between 4 and 5, we strongly advise you to change to an alternate source of water. Bottled spring or mineral water, filtered will extend both the life of the filter as well as descale periods. It will also help you retain the superior taste. Please make sure to test the water hardness. Avoid using excessively filtered water also. Like RO water. Unless some other mineral content is being put into the final water. Do not use distilled water. Even water with low or no mineral content will hamper the taste.
On top of the Breville BES880BSS Barista Touch espresso machine, install the bean hopper into the position. Turn the dial to lock in. Fill the hopper now with fresh beans.
Tip: We recommend 100% quality Arabica beans. Pick the ‘Roasted On’ date marked on the bag. Do not buy ‘Use By’ or ‘Best Before’ dated coffees. After the ‘Roasted On’ date, the coffee beans are best used between 5 to 20 days. Stale coffee may flow from the portafilter too quickly. That spouts and tastes watery and bitter.
To get into the Drinks Menu, touch the icon ‘Home’. Swipe and select your choice of drink. Now touch the icon ‘Help and Tip’ to read the Barista Touch guide.
By touching the oval-shaped buttons, you can customize your drink. To adjust the Grind Size use the dial on the side of the machine.
Note: Please maintain the touch screen clean and dry to ensure that your machine works properly.
- Place pre-heated cup(s) under the portafilter. Touch the ‘Brew’ button for the craved volume
- Because of pre-infusion time, the espresso will not begin to flow right away
Quality espresso is about having the ideal balance between acidity, sweetness, and bitterness. The taste of your coffee will rely on multiple factors. Such as the type of beans, roasting levels, coarseness or fineness of the grind, freshness, dosage of the ground, and tamping pressure. Experiment by altering these variables one at a time to find the taste that fits you best.
- Flow begins after 8 to 12 seconds
- Flows slowly like warm honey
- Crema is colored golden brown with a mousse-like texture
- Espresso is colored dark brown
- Flow begins after 1 to 6 seconds
- Flows fast like water
- Crema is pale and thin colored
- Espresso is pale brown colored
- Tastes sharp/bitter, watery, and weak
- After 15 seconds flow starts
- Flow may or may not drip at all
- Crema is spotty and colored dark
- Espresso is colored very dark brown
- Tastes burnt and bitter
Why It Is Perfect Fit For You
- It has a one-year limited warranty
- The touchscreen control panel is fully automated
- Eight customized coffee drinks and five pre-programmed drinks options
- Temperature and pressure controls deliver harmonious drinks all the time
- Grinding coffee, brewing espresso, steaming, and foaming milk all can be done by this machine
Why It Is Not Suitable For You
The Barista Touch has its own drawbacks in comparison to similar commercial-grade competitors. Although it is great at making espressos whenever you need it, the flavor profile of the coffee itself is not purely extraordinary for coffee fanatics who enjoy varied sampling profiles and different depths from the “single-origin” coffee beans that need a more nailed down unit to extract.
Furthermore, its automatic milk frothing technology is not harmonious for the users who relish their specific milk foam along with uniform quality. However, at the expense of the Breville Barista Touch espresso machine, we were incredibly astonished and you would be confronted to find anything better than this machine.
The Breville Barista Touch Reviews Talking Points
- A significant amount of regular customers at Starbucks craved to purchase this Breville Barista Touch espresso model since January 2019. As it’s been viewed as a favorable machine for potential home baristas who wanted to try out their luck at making their own coffee
- The Barista Touch is rated as an exceptional device. It really helped many novices to get the knack for preparing the perfect espresso shot quickly. Also, play with the settings. After 3 to 4 tries you can get the hang of right taming and grind
- The machine notifies its users when it’s time to change the filter or clean. It’s compact and nice. Although it fitted under a cabinet, users recommended having open space above it to make refilling of the grinder and the tank quick
- Both the customers and critics had fun with this highly recommended coffee machine. It’s so comforting to have your own homemade cuppa every day
- Even after using this machine for about a year, it remains easy to use, and great quality Joe once desired settings have been found. This is indeed a trial-and-error procedure. This is why reviews on this Breville touch are on another level
- A lot of the customers have had a Delonghi already for 5+ years. So for a change, they preferred to go with a new brand and new machine. We’ve seen that some customers went for the Melitta Barista TS Smart. But a lot of them sent it back after several days. As it was making a tepid latte, colder than the Delonghi. The milk also doesn’t get warm enough. Customers complained as that’s the trouble with super-auto coffee machines
- So Breville touch reverted back these customers towards it. But it’s not a super-auto machine. So, you have to get handy, but not too much labor though. It is a bit hard compared to the super-auto models. Until you have to clean and take parts apart
- Users are advised to have a jug, razor, filter, and four baskets for this machine. Two baskets for the beans. Buy freshly roasted, from Redbar or Rave. The other two are for the pressurized grounds. Each for a single and a double
- The reviews on the frother are amazing for this model. Just put the milk into the jug and then put the steam wand in and press start. The hot, smooth, and silky froth is ready
- Critics liked the fact that it can also do manual frothing. By keeping the wand pointing out while pressing go. Then clean it and push the wand back again. To clean itself it will squirt water. Honestly, there is no better, if you are a latte fan, it is just great. Now honing latte art is a matter of time
- Hot water gets out just behind the brewing unit. So you don’t need to move the cup to prepare coffee
- Even if you do not dial it into the optimum settings it still delivers great coffee. You will not be disheartened. Users are advised to look out for tips and tricks for this model on the internet since you are going to disburse a lot of money
Overall, the Barista Touch is the easiest machine to “dial in”. Because its intuitive traits will let you adjust the grind size and weight without any toil. Exactly what made it really wonderful was how ideal it is for espresso drinkers who are at varying levels of brewing mastery. For intermediate users, they can definitely check out the tutorials obtainable on the touchscreen. Even troubleshoot any problems which may happen. For pro drinkers, at the same time, the modification and versatility can offer them the creative space in pulling a prime shot.
In the end, our Barista touch review explained that this coffee maker grinds beans, brews espresso, and also foams milk along with automatic touchscreen controls made for immaculate consistent, coffee-house quality drinks every single time.
It is indeed an excellent espresso machine for folks who wish to have options in terms of brewing espressos. Definitely one of the best espresso machines from Breville.
The Breville Barista Touch espresso maker is easy to use. It offers high-quality properties. Also, the overall performance it provides is the best. As for the price, we must admit it is really worth your money.
Comparing With Similar Products
Breville Touch VS. DeLonghi La Specialista
- The Specialista has a stouter pump. At 19 bars against Breville’s 15 bars. But either is more than enough to make a true espresso with a lavish crema
- Both machines provide stylishly and easy-to-clean exterior
- The Breville espresso model is easy to work with. It has a touchscreen to navigate a huge collection of pre-programmed cuppas. DeLonghi espresso machine gives a one-second head start. Switch the power on and begin grinding. The machine will be set whenever you want
- This is a tie! Both of these models give a mean espresso. We prefer the DeLonghi for its higher-pressure pump and dual boilers. But if cappuccinos and lattes are your things, then Breville’s milk frothing system is better
Breville Barista Touch VS. Oracle Touch
- Like any other purchase resolution, it begins with the budget. Since the Oracle Touch is more advanced as well as has more features, it is costlier than the Barista Touch
- In terms of features, the Oracle Touch does it all for you. Grinding, leveling out any excess grind, and tamping too. Texturing milk is also done for you. Extraction of espresso and foaming can be done all at the same time. As it has a dual boiler. So no waiting involved
- If you don’t bother doing some of the tasks, such as holding the portafilter to get the grind and tamping by hand or wait between the extraction and foaming, then you will be content with less costly Barista Touch
- On the other hand, it’s crucial to keep in your mind that the Oracle Touch is larger, compared to the Barista Touch. With 18” height, you’ll want to ensure you can fit in the Oracle Touch under the cabinets or have room for it before you purchase it
- Breville Barista Touch espresso machine, overall offers better value for the money. And the Oracle Touch is for those who desire the maximum convenience when brewing a perfect cup
Is the Breville Oracle Touch worth the money?
The Breville Oracle Touch will have a hefty cost and such cost is well above any entry-level portafilter machines as well as super-automatic bestselling machines. Yet, we think this is a worthy investment. Because the Oracle Touch is a mix of the best of both the portafilter and super-automatic world.
Is Breville Barista Express worth it?
Yes. Its convenient design, customizable settings, and high-quality espresso make it well worth the price.
How tall is the unit including the grinder?
The Breville BES870 Barista model height with the grinder is approximately 15 3⁄4 inches in total.
Is Breville better than Nespresso?
There is no difference when it comes to important pieces of stuff among branded manufacturers. A machine made by varying partners will have the same Nespresso technology. Also the same technical specs.
Is Breville made in China?
Yes. But designing and engineering take place in their own country, Australia.
Is Delonghi better than Breville?
If you have a big budget and are more familiar with home brewing, then you are better off with the Breville models. On the other hand, if you are fresh to the espresso homebrew scene and your water capacity is a tad bit moderate then you better go for the De’Longhi models.
The Barista Touch brings down the skill needed to make frequently excellent barista-quality beverages. It’s easy to utilize. Even if the user is a total beginner it’s quick and clean. The froth quality is amazing also. You get premium features like PID brew temperature control, pre-infusion, and more at a lesser cost than an orthodox separate grinder and machine package.
The Breville Barista touch espresso machine is a contemporary take on the espresso machine. If you have further questions on this model or anything related to coffee use please interact with us and we’ll get back to you. Thanks for reading and we hope this Barista Touch Review has helped you make up your mind.