According to coffee experts, the citrusy coffee drink is a U.S. specialty. Nevertheless, Espresso Romano is available in cafés all over Rome and Naples.
So, what’s the deal with this drink? The answer is, that it’s quite simple, really. A proper espresso shot infused with the sweet and citrusy lemon flavor. Some people will go with an orange or tangerine, while others will only use the fruit’s peel but not the juice.
The Recipe Specifications
- Time required: 3 minutes
- Drink variations: hot, cold, and iced
- Drink size: 1–2 oz. (single or double-shot of espresso)
Equipment And Ingredients
- 1 slice of lemon and its peel (orange and tangerines are also suitable options)
- Light-medium roasted coffee ground for making the espresso
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- An espresso machine
- Take your coffee grinder and finely grind the light-medium roasted beans for the espresso.
- Start the brewing of the espresso straight away with the freshly ground beans.
- Meanwhile, rub the lemon peel into the rim of the serving cup. Also, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice into the cup.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar to the cup.
- Pour the freshly brewed espresso into the cup, stir it up, and serve.
Note: you can also add ice cubes to make a pour-over ice version of it.