According to coffee experts, the citrusy coffee drink is a U.S. specialty. Nevertheless, Espresso Romano is available in cafés all over Rome and Naples.
So, what’s the deal with this drink? The answer is, that it’s quite simple, really. A proper espresso shot infused with the sweet and citrusy lemon flavor. Some people will go with an orange or tangerine, while others will only use the fruit’s peel but not the juice.
The Recipe Specifications
- Time required: 3 minutes
- Drink variations: hot, cold, and iced
- Drink size: 1–2 oz. (single or double shots of espresso)
- A coffee grinder
- An espresso machine
- Serving cups and spoon
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
- Light-medium roasted coffee ground for making the espresso
- 1 slice of lemon and its peel (oranges and tangerines are also suitable options)
Take your coffee grinder and finely grind the light-medium roasted beans for the espresso
Start the brewing of the espresso straight away with the freshly ground beans
Meanwhile, rub the lemon peel into the rim of the serving cup. Also, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice into the cup
Add a teaspoon of sugar to the cup
Pour the freshly brewed espresso into the cup, stir it up, and serve
Note: you can also add ice cubes to make a pour-over ice version of it.