Nothing beats a fresh cup of coffee. Over many centuries, coffee has evolved into a worldwide culture. With it came many coffee types, brands, and techniques. These days even an unassuming average coffee consumer has an almost personalized coffee preference for his/herself.
Around the globe, the minimum standard of good coffee is that it must be appropriately sourced and offer an exceptional taste. This brings us to the current superstar in the coffee industry named Volcanica Coffee.
In this Volcanica Coffee review, we’ll show what they offer and why they’ve gained so much trusted clientele.
The Eruptive Story Of Volcanica
Volcanica is a company that caters to passionate drinkers who love to try coffee variations around the world. Because Volcanica’s mission is to find the best coffees around the world to share with all.
They source only 100% Arabica beans. These beans carry intense aromas and lack bitterness. The variety of blends is wide and exotic – guaranteed to satisfy any coffee lover’s palate.
Volcanica Coffee is a high-end gourmet coffee brand. They import coffees from Costa Rica, Jamaica, Indonesia, and Hawaii (Kona) mostly because farms from those regions are at over 3,000 feet above sea level, have rich volcanic soil, and have the perfect climate for growing exotic coffees.
Even though they started in Costa Rica, they’re now based in Atlanta, Georgia. Volcanica has been operating as a family-owned, single-origin, and gourmet coffee business since 2004. They roast them weekly in their Atlanta facility.
Volcanica – The Goods And The Bads
Volcanica specializes in roasting only exotic finest quality coffees sourced from volcanic regions around the world. As a result, these mineral-rich soil offer coffees that are wonderfully aromatic and remarkable in taste. Volcanica now has over 150 different types including single-origin, estate, peaberry, decaffeinated, and flavored beans.
Emphasis On The Freshness: Volcanica employees roast coffee weekly. It all happens in the state-of-the-art facility in Atlanta. Their experienced roast masters understand the nuances and delicacies of all the varieties. They also ship quickly (usually within 1 business day) after each fresh roast session.
Majestic Flavor Profiles: Since the beans are from the finest crops of the best volcanic regions around the world they are then masterfully roasted only to ensure the distinct and various flavor notes for each blend. Their products are also Kosher Certified by the Atlanta Kosher Commission.
Customer Satisfaction: Volcanica proudly stands behind everything they offer and is also thankful to its customers. Their utmost dedication to quality and quick deliverance have gained many trusty consumers.
Family Owned Business: This 2-generation old family-owned business has all the members involved in running the day-to-day operations. It all started with the mother and grandfather team in the high mountains of Costa Rica.
Sustainably Sourced: Purchase directly from the local coffee farms and cooperatives to get the best beans. It reduces the overall carbon footprint and ensures the best possible deal for the farmers.
Giving Back: Volcanica donates 1% of its sales to charity: Water. This charity works to bring clean, safe drinking water to the locations where they source the coffee.
This is a gourmet-specific store and not for everyday brewers. Because of the large number of varieties, that task can be overwhelming for casual drinkers.
The overwhelming majority of the blends are made with Arabicas. So, for those who like multi-origin blends and more Robusta-based options; Volcanica won’t be a good option.
The prices are very affordable given it’s a gourmet coffee brand. But you’ll be paying slightly more than your average coffee brands. And that’s even after a subscription, which takes off a 10% price.
Best Selling Products of Volcanica
To give our readers a full but most efficient context on the products from Volcanica, we’ve basically divided their best-selling products into 3 major groups. Below, you’ll see our bundle favorites from them, then their incredible coffee gift boxes, and we finally top it off by reviewing each coffee category available from Volcanica’s official website. We haven’t done any single-origin reviews as most of them got covered in these 3 sections anyway. Here, we’ve only added the list of their best-selling products.
- Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee.
- Kenya AA Coffee.
- Tanzania Peaberry Coffee.
- Low Acid Coffee.
- Volcanica House Blend Decaf Coffee.
Volcanica Coffee Reviews – Special Bundles
Signature Coffee Bundle
Their Signature Coffee Bundle includes an array of selections as each coffee holds only 16 oz. of the coffee.
- Guatemala Antigua Coffee: Sourced from the Medina Estate, it’s a rich, full-bodied coffee with a smooth, sophisticated flavor, and the signature intense aroma. The flavor notes include honey, apple, tea, and floral brown sugar. It’s a medium roast, sun-dried, and measures pH 5.3 mark
- Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee: A unique organically grown coffee that offers a truly exotic flavor with pleasant acidity. Yirgacheffe is a southern Ethiopian coffee region that produces distinctively floral and fruit-toned Arabica beans. This coffee brings lemon, blueberry, and blackberry flavor notes with a medium/light roast
- Colombian Supremo Coffee: Grown high (1600-1800 meters) in the Colombian Andes and it’s famous for having pleasant acidity, smooth finishing, and nutty overtones with rich medium to full body. Key flavor notes are bittersweet, chocolate, caramel, and hints of orange. It’s a medium roast that has a 5.2 pH reading
Essential Coffee Bundle
The Volcanica Essential Coffee Bundle includes its 3 best-selling items. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Kenya AA, and Costa Rican Peaberry – each in 16 oz. packets. This bundle is perfect for those who aim to expand their horizons. Revered as one of the best Volcanica coffee bundles.
- Ethiopian Yirgacheffe Coffee: An organically grown, medium-roasted blend. In terms of flavor notes, you’ll get strong fruity flavors like ripe strawberry, pineapple guava, and dark chocolate with distinct lavender-like flowers and aromatic cedar aromas. It also has a gentle and pleasing bitter edge
- Kenya AA Coffee: Another medium roast coffee but with crisp sweet and savory cup notes. Raspberry, cranberry, and fresh-cut redwood are the dominant flavors while alyssum-like flowers are in the aroma. The coffee is light but impressively plump and satiny
- Costa Rica Peaberry Coffee: Coffee from the Aquiares Estate, in the Tres Rios region by the Pacific coast. A shade-grown coffee grown on a 5,200 feet high mountain. Highly prized for its balance and intense flavors of honey, lemon, and almond. Coffee is mildly sweet and bright
Hawaiian Kona Coffee Bundle
Bringing the exotic bundle of only Kona coffees manufactured by Volcanica. The bundle Kona types are mentioned below.
- Hawaiian Kona Extra Fancy: It’s a very flavorful and full-bodied medium-roasted coffee. Comes with a mellow straightforward character and has a delicious, lively, floral-fruity taste. Taste consists of jasmine, bright citrus, tart cherries, and sweeter caramel-like floral fruitiness
- Hawaii Kona Peaberry: The Kona Peaberry is the champagne of the Kona family. Rich with a deep volcanic flavor, Kona Peaberry is smooth, nutty, and luscious with low (5.2) acidity and an intense aroma. The medium roasted cup notes are smooth, deliciously rich, medium-bodied, and complex tasting
Volcanica Coffee By Each Category
You’ll find 2 or more coffees blended in a sophisticated formula. The resultant blends are sure to offer an entirely new experience in the cup – harmonizing high-quality beans with perfect roasting and blending to achieve the best attributes. The blends are also Kosher Certified.
- Cafe Cubano - Miami Espresso Blend.
- Los Angeles Espresso Blend.
- Volcanica House Blend Coffee.
- Volcanica House Blend Decaf Coffee.
Low Acid Coffee
Volcanica uses coffees from Mexico, Brazil, Indonesia, and Peru which are naturally lower in acid. Additionally, Volcanica roasts and extracts the acidity away. They have formulated blends that naturally meet the low acid criteria of pH 5.6 to 5.2 marks (…and the lower the number the more acidic it is).
Peaberry coffee beans are unique as they’re richer in flavor. The peaberries are a rarity – as only 5% of them are manually removed from the rest of the harvest. It’s highly desired by coffee connoisseurs all over the world. A typical bean splits apart into 2 flat halves.
Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee
Blue Mountain Coffee is royalty amongst all the coffees. It’s only grown in the 7000 feet high Blue Mountains of Jamaica since 1728. The Blue Mountains’ highest peak offers rich soil with misty and colder conditions to grow this remarkable bean. Famous for its mild flavor with low bitterness, over the past few decades, it has become the most expensive and sought-after coffee in the world.
Organically Grown Coffee
Volcanicas’ organically grown coffees stand out from the other varieties in that they are farmed exclusively with natural methods, zero pesticides, and no artificial chemicals. Organic coffee farms not only apply the best methods but also cut down on unnecessary expenditures. The farms rely on birds and other wildlife to fight off any pests or bugs. As for fertilizers, they use natural composts and volcanic nutrient-enriched soil.
Decaffeinated coffee comes from coffee beans that have had at least 97% of their caffeine removed. Volcanica decaf is Swiss Water Processed, free of 100% chemicals, and preserves the taste while taking out 99.9% of caffeine. However, once decaffeinated, the smell and taste may turn milder. You can also expect some change in color too, depending on the method. Decaf coffee is crucial to those who have sensitive stomachs.
Despite global importance, coffee production is often associated with negative environmental and social impacts. This is where the Rainforest Alliance comes in. The Rainforest Alliance operates as an international organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods. To achieve this, they work to transform coffee farms’ land-use practices, business practices, and consumer behaviors. Volcanica also has the Rainforest Alliance certification.
Shade Grown Coffee
Shade-grown coffee creates one of the best organic-tasting gourmet coffees. Shade-grown coffees are grown beneath a natural canopy of trees. These natural surroundings and shades provide a habitat for birds that combats the insects and conserves the soil.
Natural Process Coffee
Coffees are naturally processed when their ripe cherries are sun-dried on patios for 8-12 days. After drying, the beans are milled. As a result, the beans make a fruitier and more flavorful-tasting coffee.
Estate coffees are regarded as one of the best in the world types since they originate from a single farm or estate. These remarkable beans are good enough by themselves. Thus no other coffee beans from different farms or regions get mixed with them. Volcanica also sells them with kosher certification.
Dark Roast Coffee
Volcanica’s Dark Roasted items emphasize the unique smoky and toasted flavor. Dark roasted coffees are consistently great for rich dark flavors, and enjoyable full-body with robust tastes. All listed dark roasts are Kosher Certified. One of the best Volcanica coffee categories.
Light Roast Coffee
The Light Roasted category emphasizes the soft and natural flavors of the beans. Light roasted coffees are wonderful for their lack of oils, higher acidity, and clear sharp taste. These are also Kosher Certified.
Volcanica’s Incredible Gift Boxes
If you’re in the habit of gifting unique coffee for any special occasion, Volcanica will have you covered! Coffee gift boxes from Volcanica are carefully mixed and matched to portray a focused theme – coffee-wise, of course! So, these boxes are a great chance to show your passion and knowledge for specialty coffee. Even though the receiver may not be that much of an enthusiast, he/she will still end up with exclusive great-quality coffee. These coffee boxes also save you money and time while providing an opportunity to get your hands on some of the truly exotic coffee options from Volcanica.
Peaberry Coffee Connoisseur Gift Box
Peaberry Coffee Connoisseur offers a selection of the only best peaberry coffees from Volcanica. This cream of the crop berries tends to be finer and smoother than the rest of the crop. This gift box consists of 16 oz. bags for each of the following coffees:
- Kenya Peaberry Coffee
- Costa Rica Peaberry Coffee
- Colombian Peaberry Coffee
- Jamaica Blue Mountain Peaberry Coffee
4 Pack Coffee Gift Boxes
Volcanica’s 4-pack bundles are a coffee connoisseur’s dream. Each bundle contains 16 oz. bags in each gift box. Volcanica has offered 6 bundles to pick from for your 4 pack gift box.
- Coffee Lover Gift Box: This bundle includes Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Guatemala Antigua, Colombian Supremo, and Costa Rica Original
- Decaf Coffee Gift Box: It consists of Volcanica’s top 4 selling decaf options – Costa Rica Tarrazu, Volcanica House Blend, Sumatra Mandheling, and Colombian Supremo Decaf
- Exotic Peaberry Gift Box: Volcanica has curated some of the finest peaberry varieties for this box such as Guatemalan, Colombian, Brazilian, and Tanzanian peaberries
- World Traveler Gift Box: A collection to treat adventurous hearts. Coffees in the box: Blue Mountain Blend, Komodo Dragon, Sumatra Mandheling, and Ethiopian Guji
- Deluxe World Traveler Gift Box: Made from the various uncommon mix of regional flavors around the world that includes Blue Mountain (Clydesdale), Honduras Copan, Peruvian, and Kenya Peaberry
- Peaberry Connoisseur Gift Box: For the peaberry lovers that have peaberry types of Blue Mountain, Costa Rican, Colombian, and Kenyan
Classic Gourmet Coffee Gift Box
The box of premium and classic coffees from around the world. This ultimate gourmet gift includes:
- Kona Peaberry Coffee
- Costa Rica Original Coffee
- Sumatra Mandheling Coffee
- Jamaica Blue Mountain Clydesdale Coffee
Brazilian Coffee Gift Box
One for the fans of Brazilian Coffee! All 3 single-origins are exclusive and are available in one beautifully packaged gift offering. This gift box includes 16 oz. bags to each of the 3 coffees.
- Brazil Peaberry Coffee
- Brazil Bracosta Estate Coffee
- Brazil Bracosta Estate Decaf Coffee
Colombian Coffee Gift Box
Talking about the best Volcanica coffee collection here! A gift box offering the flavors of authentic Colombian coffee. This single-origin gift box carries 4 coffees that immerse to bring in the rich flavors of the South American coffee heritage.
- Colombian Geisha Coffee
- Colombian Peaberry Coffee
- Colombian Supremo Coffee
- Colombian Supremo Decaf Coffee
Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee Wallenford Barrel
The Jamaica Blue Mountain Wallenford offers prominent fruit flavors, robust flavor, nice balance, optimal acidity, and a strong and intense aroma. For such combinations, it’s regarded by many as the best coffee in the world. You’ll be able to have honey, milk chocolate, and cream flavor notes with a medium roast. This 8 oz. gift box barrel coffee carries a 5.0 on the pH scale.
Is volcanica fair trade?
Yes, Volcanica Coffee is a Fair Trade Coffee brand.
Why is fair trade coffee more expensive?
Because it falls into the specialty coffee market category. Also, it follows special production requirements and pricing structures.
Which coffee blends are the best?
Single-origin blends from Tanzanian, Kona, Indonesia, and Nicaragua are the best.
Which coffee is similar to kenyan AA?
Volanica’s Kenya Peaberry is similar to AA coffee for its similar full-body, hints of winy, and black currant flavors.
Who is the biggest coffee company in the US?
Starbucks, with more than 15,000 locations in the US alone is the biggest company.
Volcanic Coffee is a great brand for coffee obsessed. With 150 high-quality bean varieties to choose from, there’s something for every coffee aficionado. If you’re after a brand that offers a large selection, sustainable business practices, and expert curation, then Volcanica should be on your checklist. If you’re new to gourmet coffee, their selection might be overwhelming, but it’s worth exploring.