The Keurig K-Mini Plus is one of the most popular portable single-serving coffee brewers in the market. With the unveiling of the K-Mini Plus, Keurig has streamlined the aesthetics, size, design as well as brewing power of this coffee maker. The Keurig K-Mini Plus doesn’t come with all the goods of some of the more advanced and larger Keurig machines, but that’s fine.
This machine is made small and compact so to be used for single cups of a delicious and quick cup of hot coffee. It’s perfect for picnics, a camper van, or a desk at the office. So let’s take a dive into the Keurig K Mini Plus review!
- Included in the box: Keurig K-mini plus single serve coffee maker with pod storage unit that fits in your brewer and can hold upto 9 K-cup pods
- Fast & fresh brewed: Coffee made in minutes
- Pod storage: Holds 9 K-cup pods and fits in your brewer for ultimate portability and saves counter space
- Cord storage: For easy transport and tidy countertops
- Travel mug friendly: Removable drip tray accommodates travel mugs upto 7.0 inches tall and holds a full accidental brew for easy cleanup
Keurig K Mini Plus Review: Key Features
The Keurig K Mini Plus coffee maker is just 5 inches in width, which is suitable for all sizes of kitchens. This Keurig has such a tiny footprint, do not be amazed if you can fit this machine even in the most jammed areas of your kitchen too. The compact is indeed the name of the game! – And K-Mini Plus swears by it colorfully.
Portable and travel-friendly
Coming in at less than 7 pounds, the Keurig K-Mini Plus is inconceivably portable. While we wouldn’t advise carrying it around in your suitcase or backpack while traveling, it is a quintessential companion for a campervan or an RV. Or a stationed buddy on the smallest office or homework desk. Plus, the K-Mini Plus can fit in most travel mugs up to about 7 inches tall. All you have to do is detach the drip tray to create that extra room. This is a cool feature for brewing that the last cup of joe to go!
Removable Drip Tray
The K-Mini Plus brewer has a detachable drip tray that can contain up to a cup of liquid in case you, unfortunately, forget to slide your mug/cup beneath the brew nozzle. To make emptying and rinsing less stressful, the drip tray hence is removable.
The Pod Storage Container
Very well thought out feature, to say the least. The K-Mini Plus single serve coffee maker has this semi-cylindrical pod storage container. It can store a maximum of 9 K-Cup pods. You store the container underneath the brew nozzle when you won’t be using the machine. It keeps your coffee in reach, but concealed and the whole thing looks nifty.
It’s common to forget to power off your appliances. Fortunately, for this brewer, it has an auto-off program that will shut down the coffee machine. It’s formulated to automatically shut off after brewing a single cup.
Detachable Water Reservoir
The Keurig K Mini Plus coffee maker equipped with a water reservoir for meeting a single serving and the same can be said about the drip tray. The tray is also removable. So, filling, rinsing, and cleaning is a breeze.
Range of Servings
The K-Mini Plus is designed to make a few different sizes of coffee ranging from 6 to 12 ounces. All you have to do is to fill up the water reservoir with your desired amount of water. And you’re good to go! Alternatively, just fill up your mug and pour it into the tank.
How To Use
Getting this machine set up doesn’t take much effort. Plug it in and you are ready to go after giving it a test batch run.
- Power it on first.
- Add water and let it heat up to temperature.
- Add your preferred coffee pod.
- Close the lid and press the brew button.
- You’ll hear the brewer sucking the water inside to heat it up. It takes about a minute. The machine remains silent while it’s working.
- After a minute later, fresh hot coffee ready for you.
- You do need Keurig-compatible coffee pods though. These are in abundant supply at the local grocery stores or on Amazon, and with many different brands, styles, and roasts.
How long does it take to brew?
The brewing period feels a bit long with the K-Mini Plus. It’s timed at over 50 seconds. In the grand scheme of things, it may not matter to you, but it feels prolonged when you’re waiting for the 1st cup in the morning.
How To Clean
Before First Use
- Plug the Keurig K Mini Plus coffee maker into a grounded outlet. Power it on, the power button will illuminate.
- Lift up the water tank lid and pour 1 cup/8 oz. of water into the reservoir. Do not fill over the MAX or under the MIN lines. Close the lid and place a mug on the drip tray.
- Lift and lower the handle and do not install a K-Cup pod. The brew indicator light will flash meaning the brewer is ready.
- Press the brew button. The brew indicator light will glow solid, then start to pulse as the brewer will be heating up.
- After 2 minutes, the brew indicator light will glow solid again. Thus water will start to dispense. Pour this hot water into your sink.
- Clean the exterior from time to time with a soapy, damp, lint-free, non-abrasive fabric. Never submerge the brewer in water or any other liquid.
- The drip tray can contain 8 ounces of overflow. It should occasionally be emptied and cleaned. Rinse and clean with a damp, lint-free, soapy, non-abrasive fabric.
- The detachable water tank should be periodically cleaned with a soapy, damp, non-abrasive cloth. Rinse the tank after cleaning thoroughly. Let the tank dry completely.
For further Keurig Caring and Troubleshooting Article read our “How To Reset Keurig Coffee Machine” here.
You should descale your Keurig K Mini Plus coffee maker in each 3 – 6 months. Follow the descaling procedures below.
Please allow almost 45 minutes for the descaling cycle
- Cleansing Rinse – Turn on the brewer. Pour 4.6 oz. of the Keurig descaling solution into the water tank. Then add fresh water to the 10 oz. level. Put a large ceramic mug over the drip tray. Lift and lower the handle. But do not install a K-Cup pod. Press the brew button now. Once the solution comes out, throw it into the sink.
- Internal Tank Cleaning – Repeat the step – A. When the brew indicator glows solid, press the power button when the brewer begins to dispense. Let the brewer rest for 30 minutes minimum. Press and keep holding the brew button until all of the solutions get dispensed. Throw out the solution into the sink.
- Fresh Water Rinse – Repeat step – A by only using 12 oz. of fresh water. Don’t add Keurig descaling solution. Repeat this step two more times. Perform extra fresh water rinse cycling if you taste/smell any residual taste.
Pod Recycling: What To Do With Keurig K-Cup Waste
There’s been a lot of concerns of late on the huge waste of single-use disposable pods. While Keurig’s competitor Nespresso made an envelope for users to return their used pods for recycling. Keurig does not have any system such as. Instead, they kind of leave it to you and your responsibility.
Keurig stated their solution is simple – the pods are built to peel off the foil lid. Furthermore, coffee grounds can be composted. They also insisted that the plastic #5 cup is recyclable, along with other recyclable containers from households these can be sent to local community recycling programs.
Well, it sounds like a solid no-fuss idea, but in most cities recycling programs don’t accept such small pieces of plastic. Experts say,
Coffee discs and pods are too light and small to be rightly sorted at a recycling facility.
Unlike other K Mini Plus reviews, this is a major criticism from us to Keurig. There’s a lot of extra waste with no real solution and Keurig is not doing enough to cut it down.
- Auto-off function.
- Ease and convenience in use.
- It has discreet cord storage.
- Brews any size from 6oz to 12oz.
- Strength control option for coffee.
- Modern and clean exterior appearance.
- Its size makes it suitable for smaller spaces.
- A small but detachable water reservoir. It uses the exact amount of water as poured into the tank for each brewing cycle.
- K-cups usable only.
- Limited programmability featured.
- Product made primarily with plastic.
- The plastic feels and looks a bit cheap.
- No control over brewing temperature.
- Needs the usage of aluminum coffee pods.
- It’s overly expensive (low price-to-value ratio point of argument).
What Are The Critics Ans Customers Saying
- Users complained about its longevity.
- Hugely appreciated as an easy to clean and store this model is.
- Critics and users alike loved the sizes and color variants of this model.
- Those who love a machine that can be carried around recommends K-Mini Plus the most.
- Customers described it as a fit on their counter with minimal space while looking attractive and inviting.
- Even critics who review Keurig K Mini-series with skepticism over the years, loves it as a frequent 1 – 2 cups of quick coffee brewing machine throughout a regular day.
Is The Keurig Mini Plus Any Good?
Ranked #7 in the best single serve coffee machine, it comes with cord storage, fast brewing, auto-off feature, and compatible K-cup universal reusable coffee filter. It’s a very good single-serve coffee machine.
When Did The Keurig Mini Plus Come Out?
It was first made available in July, 2018.
How Do I Make My Keurig Mini Hotter?
You can change the temperature of the coffee using Keurig mini as it has no such functionality. Keurig only allows a few of their machines this function. But you can put hot water right before you make the coffee to add temperature.
What K Cups Are Compatible With Keurig Mini?
My K-Cups Universal Reusable coffee filter and Delibru Reusable K Cups are compatible with Mini.
Does A Keurig Get Hot Enough To Kill Bacteria?
The water temperature for a Keurig is 192 degrees F. That temperature takes less than half a second to kill all of the bacteria in the unit.
We’d like to highlight in our Keurig K Mini Plus review, this coffee machine is an interesting entity in the market. The crucial advantage is its cute size. Cosmopolitan users are aware of proper space allocation in their household and buy appliances that fit their blueprint saving as much space as possible in the process.
Keurig K-Mini Plus serves that purpose incredibly well. Furthermore, users can also take this machine with them on vacation, picnic, or any sort of outside gathering. Keurig fans and neutrals alike will appreciate K-Mini’s modern and clean design. Slightly more advanced than the original Keurig K-Mini version. Serves as an ideal machine for one cup of coffee at a time.