The answer is not that simple. The scales are heavy on NO, but there is a catch. Coffee may help you to REDUCE weight but, the additives may do exactly the opposite.
Coffee is the most popular non-alcoholic beverage on our planet. It serves as both hot and iced form nowadays. Once we become fond of the coffee drink, we level up our intake amount.
The high caffeine content of coffee drinks stimulates our nervous system. It makes you feel refreshed and energized. Sometimes caffeine helps to reduce the risk of other health diseases. But, will coffee make you gain weight?
Well, caffeine always boosts our energy levels. It does not deal with our weight directly. But, you may gain weight because of the additive ingredients.
Okay, I am here to clear all of your doubts. Let dive together into it.
Relation Between Coffee and Weight
Let me explain the relationship between body weight and coffee drinks. Most people like to start their day with a cup of coffee drink. Even they drink several cups in a day. In this cup, there is a wide range of coffee varieties. It may start with Black Coffee and end with high fattening additives. For example, cream, sugar, chocolate, syrup, etc.
Caffeine is the main component of coffee drinks. It stimulates our nerves and brain. It never deals with our weight. But, the additives are highly responsible for our weight gain. There are a lot of studies about weight fluctuation and coffee usage. Most research states that,
- Coffee can improve your metabolism. And, high metabolism can reduce your fat. It performs a series of chemical reactions within your body to burn calories.
- Coffee is also known as an appetite suppressant. So, people who drink a lot do not need to eat a lot of food.
These facts lead you to think that drinking java helps you to lose weight. But remember, these happen for Black Coffee with its bitter taste. To reduce the bitterness, we are adding tasty additives that are fattening monsters. As a result, we gain weight.
Also, too many coffee drinks cause insomnia and disrupt our daily life. This disturbance may lead your body to store more calories for future crises. Consequently, you gain more weight because of your daily life disturbance.
It is clear now that coffee does not help in your weight gain. Rather our wrong decision for additives or routine of consumption influences obesity. More detailed information is discussed in the below sections.
The Impact of Caffeine
Caffeine is a very famous psychoactive substance in the world. All the carbonated drinks, coffee, tea, and chocolate that you consume have caffeine. According to historical records, you can see the use of caffeine across many cultures for a long time.
Caffeine works as a natural pesticide in the plants. In that way, it defends a plant and ensures the species survival. As it plays a strong influence on insects, it leaves some impact on humans too.
Caffeine stimulates alertness and energy. It reduces the drowsiness that you might be feeling. So, caffeine helps you to concentrate on your work. Even, aid you to take more workloads sometimes. It also resists insulin that is a metabolism hormone. In this way, you might be able to maintain good health.
Caffeine, though, increases heart rate and might cause you to have insomnia if you take it in a high dose. I must add that caffeine is very addictive. The absence of caffeine leads you to have an unpleasant headache and irritability. It has some negative impacts too that you may find in the side effects sections.
Health Benefits Of Coffee
Coffee benefits our health in many ways. Below you can see how it helps us.
- Coffee enhances the adrenaline level in your body. This stimulant increases your energy level and lets you focus on work.
- Caffeine in your coffee drink boosts your metabolism.
- It is a natural source of antioxidants for you.
- Coffee beans have many nutrients that you get in coffee drinks.
- Caffeine can lower the risk of various diseases and protects you from those as well.
- Coffee can reduce depression.
Despite having these health benefits, the coffee drink has some detriments. It is responsible for the rise in cholesterol, insomnia, and loss of appetite. So, intake coffee drinks within healthy limits.
Side Effects of Coffee
Like everything else, there are side effects of coffee. They are:
- Coffee stimulates your body and mind. It excites your hormone within a short time. You may feel so tired while the influence reduces. This excitement might make your anxiety worse.
- Caffeine can keep you awake. It is one of its most known qualities. But, studies have found that high caffeine intake may cause insomnia. And that may reduce your total sleeping time.
- Coffee works as a laxative. So, too much coffee intake may lead you to have digestive problems.
- Coffee is very addictive. So, if you ever skip drinking coffee, it might lead you to feel headache and drowsiness.
- Caffeine does not seem to increase the risk of disease in most people. But, it may raise your blood pressure due to its stimulatory effect on the nervous system.
- Coffee has very low cholesterol. But if you take it in large amounts or drink it with extra fatty elements, then it may lead you towards heart disease.
- Coffee is usually not safe for pregnant women. If you badly need to drink, then contact your doctor for a recommendation.
- Coffee is not safe for children and adolescents if they take it every day in a large amount.
Be aware of your coffee intake and health issues. Coffee may be good for your health, but an excess amount of coffee drink is not right. Sometimes, too much coffee causes severe destruction of health.
Can Drink Coffee Cause Weight Gain?
After knowing all the positive and negative impacts of Coffee, do you still have the doubt? Then, let us get to the point straight. In short, coffee can help you to reduce weight in the below ways.
- Coffee as a drink is low in calories.
- It may increase metabolism.
- It may reduce your appetite.
Except for these merits of Coffee, there are some demerits too. Those are,
- It may disrupt healthy sleep patterns.
- Popular coffee additives may be fattening.
- A long time of consumption also makes you irritable and stressed.
Rather than being demerits, it is more related to our unawareness. If we are not conscious enough about our daily coffee habits, we will develop bad habits. Of course, bad habits lead you to the above demerits. And, the consequences lead you to obesity.
Coffee is not bad enough if you drink it in a routine. On the other hand, you can say Coffee is a healthy beverage. It is only applicable for pure coffee drinks. But, not suitable for the varieties from Cappuccino to Affogato. Now, the question is, how will coffee make you gain weight?
Coffee with milk, sugar, cream, or other additives directly increases your weight. Other additives spoil the healthy activities of Coffee. Also, dominating those corresponding unhealthy effects.
If you want to drink Coffee with additives, then use low sugar components or other spices. If there are no options, then reduce the intake amount of your daily schedule. Otherwise, you may face health problems with weight gain.
I hope you understand the importance of Coffee and weight gain issues. Now, it is your turn to make the right decision.
Nutrition Value of Coffee
As coffee drinks are popular beverages, it has significant values in health issues. Experts estimate that people drink around 2.25 billion cups of coffee every day. So, we should be careful before drinking.
You could follow the below charts that could help you to decide. Here, we are talking about the nutrients of coffee without additives.
|Nutrients||Values per 100 g||Values per 1 fl oz||Values per 1 cup (8 fl oz)|
|Caffeine||40 mg||11.8 mg||94.8 mg|
|Protein||120 mg||36 mg||284 mg|
|Total lipid (fat)||20 mg||6 mg||47 mg|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 mg||0 mg|
|(Fatty acids) Total saturated||2 mg||1 mg||5 mg|
|(Fatty acids) Total monounsaturated||15 mg||4 mg||36 mg|
|(Fatty acids) Total polyunsaturated||1 mg||0 mg||2 mg|
|Ash||350 mg||104 mg||830 mg|
|Sugars (Total including NLEA)||0 mg||0 mg||0 mg|
|Calcium||2 mg||0.592 mg||4.74 mg|
|Magnesium||3 mg||0.888 mg||7.11 mg|
|Potassium||49 mg||14.5 mg||116 mg|
|Sodium||2 mg||0.592 mg||4.74 mg|
|Phosphorus||3 mg||0.888 mg||7.11 mg|
|Iron||0.01 mg||0.0268 mg||0.024 mg|
|Vitamin B-6||0.001 mg||0 mg||0.002 mg|
|Vitamin K (phylloquinone)||0.1 µg||0.03 µg||0.237 µg|
|Choline||2.6 mg||0.77 mg||6.16 mg|
|Fluoride||0.0907 mg||0.0268 mg||0.215 mg|
From this chart, you could follow that coffee has significant nutrients for health. You will not get many vitamins from coffee drinks. But, you will get an excellent amount of protein, caffeine, ash, and potassium. Except this, you will also get some other type of nutrients in a small amount. Lastly, there is no sugar and cholesterol at all in your Black Coffee. This chart shows you that coffee is a healthy drink.
Black Coffee – Healthy or Unhealthy?
For the coffee connoisseur, Black Coffee is the most desired drink. People start their day with a hot cup of Black Coffee. Black Coffee is the extract of roasted coffee beans that brew with hot water. Black Coffee serves without using any additives. It tastes bitter than the other coffee drinks. Is drinking Black Coffee healthy for your body?
It is healthy if you consume Black Coffee as it is. Black Coffee has antioxidants and nutrients that help our health fit. Let us take a look at it.
- The caffeine of Black Coffee boosts your memory. Regular and limited amount consumption helps to reduce Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases.
- Black Coffee helps to prevent liver diseases. For example, liver cancer, hepatic steatosis, and alcoholic cirrhosis.
- It cleanses your stomach and reduces weight as well.
- Black Coffee boosts the metabolism of the human body and helps in losing weight.
- Black Coffee rich in antioxidants. It prevents gout of elders. Black coffee reduces the uric acids and insulin levels of your body.
- It also helps as an anti-aging tonic. Besides, it relieves you from stress and depression.
- Decrease the risk of diabetes, mostly type 2.
- Black Coffee reduces the risk of cancer too.
- Black Coffee also improves the cardiovascular health of humans. It reduces cardiovascular diseases and strokes.
Black Coffee is playing a vital role in protecting your physical and mental health. But, the primary caution for you is do not overdo it. Because the excess of anything always leaves a negative impact on your body. If you intake too much, then you will experience some side effects. These include acidity, increased stress, low rate of mineral absorption, and insomnia. Also, avoid Black Coffee if you have an empty stomach.
In conclusion, moderate consumption and maintaining a healthy lifestyle are the best solutions. But, only you know how to balance the consumption of coffee. You may drink coffee in a moderate amount and use a healthy pairing with it.
Sleep at the proper time to maintain a healthy life. Drinking on an empty stomach is not right for your health. Avoid too much coffee drink and not drink before sleeping time.
If you follow these, then I am sure you would not gain weight from coffee. You would only get the benefit of the lovely drink.
Enjoy Your Coffee!