Do you know every day, people in the world consume around 1.6 billion cups of coffee?
In the United States only, we drink more than 450 million cups of coffee every day.
With coffee, more than 1000 chemical compounds enter our bodies. As we are drinking so much coffee, naturally, the question arises – ‘Does coffee have any advantageous for our health?’
When we drink coffee, we consume caffeine more than any other thing. The amount of caffeine in our coffee varies with coffee bean types, coffee roast level, brewing methods, and others.
There are tons of antioxidants in fruits and vegetables. But Americans get more of them from coffee than others. In that sense, coffee is a big warehouse of nutrients and antioxidants. Coffee provides caffeine, protein, potassium, magnesium, different types of vitamins, and others.
Now, caffeine plays the most important part of coffee health. There are numerous health benefits of coffee like reducing the chance of heart disease, lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes, controlling Parkinson’s, and many more.
You would be surprised to know that, coffee has even various advantages for our skin, body, and hair.
Health benefits of coffee –
Long May We Live
“Coffee helps us to live longer”.
Finding it difficult to believe that?
No matter how unimaginable it looks like, it is well researched and proved.
The National Institutes of Health (NIH), the United States’ biomedical and public health research institution, performed research in 2012. Their study proved the relation between mortality and coffee consumption. People with higher coffee consumption have a lower risk of death.
Death is inevitable. But an extended life is obviously desirable to everyone.
- 2-4 cups of coffee everyday lower the risk of death by all disease
- 4 cups a day lowers 16% risk of all-cause mortality
- 3 cups a day lowers 21% risk of cardiovascular disease mortality
Coffee Drinkers May Avoid Cancer
Cancer is the worst disease out in the world.
‘Uncontrolled growth of abnormal cell’ – is the definition of cancer. There are more than 200 types of cancer.
But, drinking coffee can reduce the possibility of some of them.
- Drinking coffee up to 6 cups a day reduces the risk of several types of cancer
- Liver Cancer
- Skin Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- At least one cup of coffee a day reduces 20% risk of liver cirrhosis which could lead to liver cancer
- A study published in 2006
- Included over 125,000 people
- Studied over 22 years
- 4+ cups of coffee every day lowers the risk of melanoma (A type of skin cancer) by 20%
- Studied over 447,000 people
- Studied over 10 years
Lower the risk of Type 2 diabetes
90% of cases of diabetes in the world are type 2 diabetes. In 2015, approximately 392 million people were diagnosed with type II diabetes.
- 4+ cups of coffee daily reduce risk by 50%
- Every additional caffeinated coffee in a day lower the risk by 9%
- Every additional decaffeinated coffee in a day lower the risk by 6%
- Results of systematic review and meta-analysis from –
- 28 prospective observational studies
- Over one million participants
Controls Parkinson’s disease
There is no cure for Parkinson’s disease.
Parkinson’s mainly affects the motor system. Shaking, rigidity, slowness of movement, and difficulty with walking are the most common symptoms.
This disease usually develops after the age of 60.
- Having caffeine reduces the chances of developing Parkinson’s disease
- Research published in the journal of the American Academy of Neurology, August 1, 2012
Slow Down Dementia (Alzheimer)
60-70% of the causes of dementia are Alzheimer’s. And unfortunately, Alzheimer’s also has no cure till now.
Dementia decrease the ability to remember and think.
In general, Alzheimer’s starts after the age of 65.
- People who drink 3-5 cups of coffee every day have a 60% less chance of developing dementia and Alzheimer
- Studied in Sweden & Finland
- Included 1400 people
- Studied over 20 years
Keep Your Heart Healthy
The leading cause of death in the world is cardiovascular disease (Except Africa).
In common terms, heart attack, stroke, heart failure, and other heart-related diseases.
Coffee consumption has a very great impact on heart health.
- Every 8-ounces cup of coffee per day reduces the risk of heart failure, stroke, and coronary heart disease by 7%, 8%, and 5% respectively compared to no coffee.
- 1-3 cups a day reduce the risk of abnormal heart rhythms by 20%
- As type II diabetes can lead to heart disease and stroke, coffee reduces this risk with type II diabetes.
- Drinking 3-5 cups of coffee lowers the risk of heart disease and stroke BUT drinking more than 5 cups or drinking no coffee may increase the risk.
Boost Up Your Blood Circulation
Poor blood circulation can cause high blood pressure, muscle cramps, blood clots, numbness, vertigo, and dizziness, etc.
It is important to keep up good blood circulation for good health.
- Blood flow boosts up by 30% having a five-ounce cup of coffee
- Boost remains 75 minutes
- Takes only one cup of coffee
Burn Calories, Stay Fit
- Burns around 15% more calories while working out if you have a coffee before a workout
- Coffee boost metabolism by 10% to 20%
- Makes a better athlete
The health benefits of coffee do not end here. It would take a huge time if we go through all the advantageous in detail. That may bore you.
Well, everything in the world has two faces.
Let me explain. If you want or not, a very helpful thing can make you suffer. For example, the right amount of medicine can heal your body, at the same time, the wrong amount can cause a bad impact.
Like that, our so advantageous coffee has some side effects if not taken properly.
The caffeine portion in coffee can cause various types of trouble. Let’s look at some issue coffee can make when taken in excessive amount –
- Sleep Latency
- Digestive Issues
- High Blood Pressure
- Rapid Heart Rate
- Frequent Urination
- Urgency in Urination
As the wrong amount of a good thing can make damage, for coffee, we need to know the amount of too much, when to drink and when to not.
Enjoy Your Coffee!!